Variety Awards Circuit section is the home for all awards news and related content throughout the year, featuring the following: the official predictions for the upcoming Oscars, Emmys, Grammys and Tony awards ceremonies, curated by Variety senior awards editor Clayton Davis. The prediction pages are Davis’ assessment of the current standings of the race and do not reflect personal preferences for any film or performance. Like any organization or body that votes, each individual category is fluid and subject to change. Predictions are updated every Thursday.
See the latest film predictions, in all 23 categories, in one place on Variety’s Oscars Collective.
See the 2022-2023 Awards Season calendar for all key dates and timelines.
Countdown to the Oscars with Variety here.
LAST UPDATED: March 9, 2022
2023 Academy Awards Predictions (FINAL INDIVIDUAL CATEGORIES)
BEST PICTURE | DIRECTOR | ACTOR | ACTRESS | SUPPORTING ACTOR | SUPPORTING ACTRESS | ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY | ADAPTED SCREENPLAY | ANIMATED FEATURE | PRODUCTION DESIGN | CINEMATOGRAPHY | COSTUME DESIGN | FILM EDITING | MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING | SOUND | VISUAL EFFECTS | ORIGINAL SCORE | ORIGINAL SONG | DOCUMENTARY FEATURE | INTERNATIONAL FEATURE | ANIMATED SHORT | DOCUMENTARY SHORT | LIVE ACTION SHORT
Awards Circuit (Film Column) Archives
- Everything Everywhere All at Oscars: Final Predictions for 95th Academy Awards
- Final Oscar Voting Begins: What Do We Know About Which Movies and Performances Could Win Academy Awards?
- The Theory of ‘Everything’: Why Michelle Yeoh’s Oscar Chances Rest on SAG Awards
- Austin Butler Gets Best Actor Boost, ‘Everything Everywhere’ Up in the Air for Best Picture After BAFTA and DGA Split
- BAFTA Predictions: Colin Farrell, Angela Bassett and ‘Everything Everywhere’ Could Shine With the Brits
- Three Men and a Best Director Race: Will the Daniels or Steven Spielberg Win DGA Awards?
- ‘Banshees of Inisherin’: Could It Win Best Picture — or Nothing at All?
- Andrea Riseborough Isn’t the Reason Black Women Were Snubbed From Oscar Noms — The System Is
- From Box Office Toppers to Musical Showstoppers: 5 Key Takeaways From Oscar Noms
- Oscars Love ‘Everything Everywhere,’ but Best Picture Race Is Far From Over
- Final Oscar Noms Predictions: ‘Elvis’ and ‘Banshees’ Projected to Lead, ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Could Represent Only Sequel in Best Picture
- Oscars: Five Burning Questions With Nomination Voting Underway
- Great Oscars News! From Blockbusters to Comebacks, This Season Has Something for Every Moviegoer
- Bill Nighy is ‘Living’ the Oscar Dream: Why the British Veteran is a Best Actor Contender
- Angela Bassett and Dolly De Leon Among the Nominations Golden Globes Got Right
- Will ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ Win Best Picture? Five Obstacles It Must Overcome
- Why Aren’t More Women Screenwriters In the Oscar Race?
- Slap or No Slap — ‘Emancipation’ Is an Oscar Contender for Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua
- The Little Oscar Contenders That Should: Movies the Academy Must Watch Before the End of 2022
- How Ke Huy Quan’s Soulful Role Can Win ‘Everything’ This Awards Season
- My Daughter Wants ‘Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio’ to Win Best Picture, So Why Can’t Her Wish Come True?
- ‘Wakanda Forever’ Star Angela Bassett Could Be the First Oscar-Nominated Actor From the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Why Foreign-Language Films Still Struggle to Get U.S. Oscar Voters’ Attention
- ‘Apollo 10½’ and ‘Marcel the Shell’ Prove the Academy Needs to Embrace the Evolution of Animation
- Will ‘She Said’ Hit Too Close to Home for Oscar Voters?
- Nice Guys (and Gals) Finish First? How Likability and Popularity Help Oscar Contenders
- All Quiet on the ‘White Noise’ Front: 5 Reasons Why Noah Baumbach’s Film is Struggling to Build Oscars Buzz
- After the Slap, Is Will Smith Allowed to Be Oscar Nominated for ‘Emancipation’?
- Danielle Deadwyler Gives an Oscar-Worthy Performance in ‘Till,’ But Will Enough Voters Watch the Film?
- Composer Hildur Guðnadóttir Goes for Double Oscar Nominations as ‘Tár’ Music Is Deemed Eligible (EXCLUSIVE)
- ‘Till’ Biopic Features New Original Song Oscar Contender From Jazmine Sullivan and D’Mile (EXCLUSIVE)
- Harry Styles, Emma Corrin and ‘My Policeman’ Cast Will All Go Supporting for the Oscars (EXCLUSIVE)
- How Many Box Office Hits Will the Oscars Allow Into the Best Picture Lineup?
- Ana de Armas in ‘Blonde’ Is the Best Shot for Latina Oscar Attention, and Netflix’s Strongest Acting Contender
- ‘Holy Spider’ Star Zar Amir Ebrahimi Was Banned From Iranian Cinema and Sentenced to Prison. Now She’s a Lead Actress Oscar Contender
- ‘Armageddon Time’ Submits Anne Hathaway for Supporting Oscar Consideration, With Jeremy Strong and Anthony Hopkins (EXCLUSIVE)
- Viola Davis Goes for Lead Actress and History-Making Noms for ‘The Woman King,’ Thuso Mbedu Campaigns Supporting (EXCLUSIVE)
- ‘Empire of Light’ Co-Stars Micheal Ward, Toby Jones Both Campaign for Supporting Actor (EXCLUSIVE)
- Michelle Williams to Campaign for Lead Actress for ‘The Fabelmans,’ Supporting Race Now Wide Open
- ‘RRR’ Team Reacts to India Not Selecting It for Oscars, Urges Academy to Vote for It in Other Categories
- Brendan Fraser Is Back: Believe the Hype About His Oscar Chances for ‘The Whale’
- Can Harry Styles Really Get an Oscar Nomination for Acting?
- ‘Wendell and Wild’ Places Jordan Peele and Henry Selick at the Forefront of Animated Oscar Race
- Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Fabelmans’ Could Be the Oscar Frontrunner for Best Picture
- Mystery Solved! ‘Glass Onion’ Kills at TIFF and Should Be Netflix’s Leading Best Picture Pony
- ‘The Woman King’ Reigns Over TIFF and Hopefully the Oscars Will Notice
- ‘The Inspection’ Carries Jeremy Pope and Gabrielle Union Into the Oscar Race
- Five Things About Oscar Season We Learned at Telluride
- In the Name of the Father: With ‘The Son,’ Hugh Jackman’s Best Actor Oscar Moment Has Arrived
- How ‘Close,’ ‘Holy Spider’ and ‘Sr.’ Highlight the Need for More International and Documentaries in Best Picture
- Taylor Russell Brings Cannibal Magic to ‘Bones and All’ — Will the Academy Bite?
- Despite Florence Pugh’s Fearless Turn, ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ Isn’t a Major Oscar Contender
- ‘Empire of Light’ Is an Old-School Oscar Contender With a Career-Best Performance From Olivia Colman
- Buddy Comedy Duo Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson Enter the Oscar Race for ‘The Banshees of Inisherin’
- ‘Tár’ Could Bring Cate Blanchett Her Third Oscar and Todd Field His First Academy Award
- ‘Women Talking’ Soars at Telluride, Sarah Polley Could Be Third Consecutive Female Director Oscar Winner
- ‘Bardo’ or Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s Bleak Outlook on Life That Awards Voters Won’t Understand
- Venice Film Festival Sets the Stage for the International Oscar Race With ‘Bardo’ and ‘Argentina 1985’
- How India’s Action Epic ‘RRR’ Could Bring the Country’s First Oscar Nom in 21 Years
- Is Jordan Peele’s Latest an Oscar Contender? ‘Nope,’ But He Is Our Modern Day Hitchcock
- Who Will Be the Academy’s New President? Meet the Frontrunners to Lead the Oscars
- 19 Oscar Contenders From the Year So Far Include ‘Elvis,’ ‘Everything Everywhere All at Once’ and ‘Top Gun: Maverick’
- Austin Butler’s Transformation in ‘Elvis’ Will Offer a Little More Oscar Conversation in Best Actor
- ‘Crimes of the Future’ Won’t Cut Into the Oscars, but It’s Time for David Cronenberg to Receive the Honorary Treatment
- How ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ and Tom Cruise’s Need for Speed Could Fly to the Oscars
- There Will Be a ‘Triangle of Sadness’ If Awards Aren’t Given to Ruben Östlund and Dolly De Leon
- ‘Three Thousand Years of Longing’ Could Be Cannes’ First Oscar Best Picture Contender
- ‘Armageddon Time’ Proves Not All Auteur Childhood Portraits Are an Oscar Slam Dunk
- Cannes Oscar Hopefuls Include ‘Elvis’, ‘Armageddon Time’ and ‘Top Gun: Maverick’
- Do ‘Everything Everywhere,’ ‘Northman’ and ‘Unbearable Weight’ Offer More Action Than Awards Voters Can Handle?
- Not So Fast Will Smith, Chris Rock and the Academy: There Are More People Who Deserve Apologies (Column)
- Oscars 2023: Our First Blind Predictions, From ‘Fabelmans’ to ‘Flower Moon’
Awards Circuit Podcast Interview Archives (Film)
- Cate Blanchett Talks ‘Tár’ and Fulfilling the Awards Prophecy of Winning an Oscar Every Nine Years
- How Well Does Brendan Fraser Know His Love Interests? Oscar Nominee Guesses Co-Stars’ Lines From ‘The Whale,’ ‘Blast From the Past’ and More
- ‘Triangle of Sadness’ Director Ruben Östlund Wants His Next Film to Create the ‘Biggest Walkout in the History of Cannes’
- ‘Everything Everywhere’ Meets ‘Top Gun’: The Daniels ‘Learned a Lot’ From Tom Cruise at Oscars Luncheon
- ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’ Director Edward Berger: ‘I Could Never Say I’m Proud to Be German’
- Austin Butler Drank Häagen-Dazs Ice Cream to Gain Weight for ‘Elvis,’ Was Inspired by Ryan Gosling
- ‘Puss in Boots: The Last Wish’ Director Joel Crawford Says Animation Deserves More Respect
- Jamie Lee Curtis Gets Emotional Talking ‘Everything Everywhere’ Oscar Nomination: ‘Michelle Yeoh Is the Reason’
- ‘Babylon’ Composer Justin Hurwitz Knew Film Would Be Divisive: ‘From Elephant Poop’ to ‘Bodily Fluids’
- Colin Farrell Talks ‘Banshees’ Oscar Nom, How Many Episodes To Expect From ‘The Penguin’ Spinoff
- Diane Warren on Receiving Her 14th Oscar Nomination and Losing to Two James Bond Songs: ‘I’ve Been F—ed Twice’
- Variety’s Awards Circuit Podcast Roundtable Shares Final Oscar Nominations Predictions
- Bill Nighy on Why ‘Living’ Resonates With Audiences, and the One British Thing He Always Brings With Him
- ‘RRR’ Stars NTR Jr and Ram Charan Discuss Their Bromance and Working With the ‘Insane’ Director S.S. Rajamouli
- ‘Women Talking’ Director Sarah Polley on How a Brain Injury Almost Halted Her Career
- Colman and Raul Domingo Could Make Oscar History as First Married LGBTQ Couple Nominated for ‘New Moon’
- Taylor Russell on Being Offered ‘Bones and All’ Role With No Audition Needed and Her Love of Watching Timothée Chalamet ‘Do His Thing’
- Sadie Sink on How Her Character in ‘The Whale’ Isn’t a ‘Dirtbag,’ Being Directed by Taylor Swift and Teases ’Stranger Things’ Ending for Max and Lucas
- Ron Howard on ‘Thirteen Lives’ and What It Would Take for Him to Return to Acting
- ‘Wakanda Forever’ Star Angela Bassett Reveals the Scene With [SPOILER] That Was Cut — and Why She Was ‘Mortified’ by Her Character’s Fate
- Guillermo Del Toro on the 1,000-Day ‘Pinocchio’ Shoot and His 22 Finished Scripts Waiting to be Made
- Claire Foy on Playing Rage in ‘Women Talking,’ Wanting To Do a Rom-Com and Season 5 of ‘The Crown’
- Gabrielle Union on Finally Getting Oscar Buzz for ‘The Inspection’: ‘I Believe I Found My Superhero Origin Story’
- How Ke Huy Quan’s Soulful Role Can Win ‘Everything’ This Awards Season
- Jonathan Majors on Taking His First ‘Devotion’ Meeting in a Sauna, and What He Learned From the Late Michael K. Williams
- Todd Field on Writing ‘Tár‘ in 12 Weeks, His 16-Year Absence and Why Tom Cruise Told Him During ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ He’d Be a Director
- Micheal Ward Talks ‘Empire of Light‘ and Working With Olivia Colman and Intimacy Coordinator to Create a ‘Dance’ on Set
- Danielle Deadwyler on Auditioning for ‘Till,’ Singing Gospel Songs and Being Inspired by Jasmine Guy
- ‘The Good Nurse’ Star Eddie Redmayne on Playing a Serial Killer Who Weaponized Empathy
- Rian Johnson Talks Making More ‘Knives Out’ Movies After ‘Glass Onion,‘ and If His ’Star Wars’ Trilogy Will Ever Happen: ‘God I Hope So’
- Nina Hoss Talks ‘Tár,’ Being Inspired by Bette Davis and Reading the Script for the First Time: ‘I Think I Only Got Half of It’
- Gina Prince-Bythewood Talks ‘The Woman King,’ Social Media Criticism From ‘Wikipedia Historians’ and Possible Reboot of ‘A Different World’
- ‘Triangle of Sadness’: Dolly de Leon on Filipino Representation and How the Film Changed Her Life
- Jordan Peele on the Challenge of Making ‘Nope’ and ‘Wendell & Wild’ During COVID, and Can Audiences Expect a ‘Key & Peele’ Reboot?
- Adam Sandler Talks ‘Hustle,’ Hosting ‘SNL’ This Season and Being Open to ‘Waterboy’ Sequel: ‘I Love Mama’
The 95th Oscars ceremony will be held at the Dolby Theatre and televised live on ABC on Sunday, March 12, 2023.
About Variety Awards Circuit:
Variety’s unmatched coverage gives its readership unbeatable exposure in print and online and provides inside reports on all the contenders in this year’s awards season races. In addition to predictions, the section includes — Awards Circuit Column, a weekly analysis dissecting the trends and contenders in the race; Awards Circuit Podcast, a weekly series featuring interviews with the top contenders in the awards race and an expert roundtable discussion with Variety’s leading editors and columnists; Awards Circuit Predictions Video Series, a deep dive into specific categories, led by the leading pundits.