Variety Awards Circuit section is the home for all awards news and related content throughout the year, featuring the following: the official awards predictions for the upcoming Oscars and Emmys ceremonies, curated by Variety senior awards editor Clayton Davis; Awards Circuit Column, a weekly analysis dissecting the trends and contenders by television editor Michael Schneider (for Emmys) and Davis (for Oscars); Awards Circuit Podcast, a weekly interview series with talent and an expert roundtable discussion; and Awards Circuit Video analyzes various categories and contenders by Variety's leading awards pundits. Variety's unmatched coverage gives its readership unbeatable exposure in print and online, as well as provide inside reports on all the contenders in this year's awards season races.
To see all the latest predictions, of all the categories, in one place, visit
THE EMMYS COLLECTIVE
Visit each category, per the individual awards show from
THE EMMYS HUB
To see old predictions and commentary, click the EMMY PREDICTIONS ARCHIVES
For film awards predictions go to
THE OSCARS HUB
UPDATED: June 23, 2022
2022 EMMYS PREDICTIONS:
OUTSTANDING VARIETY SPECIAL (LIVE)
AWARDS PREDICTION COMMENTARY:
Cue the active debate about why the 94th Oscars will receive a nomination in this category, in which it has nabbed a slot every year since 2007. Was it an energetic, lively show from the hands of Will Packer and hosts Amy Schumer, Regina Hall and Wanda Sykes? Or is it the infamous slapping of presenter Chris Rock by lead actor winner Will Smith that will nudge them in that direction?
Either way, the 15 contenders submitted (which will produce only three nominees in the category) will have a difficult time topping the 90s nostalgia that took place on Super Bowl Sunday. From producers Jesse Collins and Roc Nation, the Pepsi Super Bowl LVI Halftime show from SoFi Stadium in Inglewood is probably the one to beat in this race. How can any Hollywood native not vote for this iconic nostalgia-filled celebration — headlined by Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and Mary J. Blige — especially in a game won by the hometown Rams?
According to the social-media company TikTok, its event “For You, Paige,” which was developed in collaboration with creators worldwide and inspired by the musical theater community, garnered more than 40 million views on the platform. Though last year’s entry from the social media platform, “Ratatouille: The TikTok Musical,” came up short, there may be a pathway for creator Daniel Mertzlufft, along with the global app sensation, to make headway.
When it aired on Prime Video, the American Country Music Awards went on without a hitch from Las Vegas, with the power of Dolly Parton emceeing alongside co-hosts Jimmie Allen and Gabby Barrett. The ceremony that rewarded the likes of Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood has popped up in this space before, and it’s still a contender.
Anything Norman Lear touches must be considered a contender. With the first “Live in Front of a Studio Audience” outings, “All in the Family” and “The Jeffersons,” winning in 2019, and “Good Times” and “All in the Family” landing noms in 2021, this edition is well within reach of another nomination.
Live from Las Vegas, the April ceremony hosted by Trevor Noah saw Jon Batiste receive the most noms with 11 and take home the most awards with five. After a pandemic postponement followed by a solid show, the Recording Academy should be able to sneak into the fray. However, its Emmy nominations are typically spotty and not always assured.
The sentimental factor and adoration for country star Naomi Judd may help the CMT “A River of Time Celebration” special sneak into the lineup.
Read more: Variety’s Awards Circuit Emmys Predictions Hub.
The nomination round of voting runs from June 16 to June 27. The official nominations for the 74th Emmy Awards will be announced Tuesday, July 12.
The complete television awards season calendar is linked here.
2021 category winner: “Stephen Colbert’s Election Night 2020: Democracy’s Last Stand Building Back America Great Again Better 2020” (Showtime)
ALL AWARDS CONTENDERS AND RANKINGS:
2022 Primetime Emmy Awards Predictions
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Comedy Series
- Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series, Movie, or Dramatic Special
- Outstanding Competition Program
- Outstanding Variety Talk Series
2022 Creative Arts Emmys Predictions
- Outstanding Television Movie
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Reality Host
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Animated Program
- Outstanding Short Form Animated Program
- Outstanding Voice-Over Performance
- Outstanding Narrator
- Outstanding Structured Program
- Outstanding Unstructured Program
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
- Outstanding Documentary Filmmaking
- Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special
- Outstanding Main Title Design
- Outstanding Main Title Theme Music
- Outstanding Music for Series
- Outstanding Music for Limited Series
- Outstanding Music and Lyrics
- Outstanding Music Supervision
About the Primetime Emmy Awards (Emmys)
The Primetime Emmy Awards, better known as the Emmys, are given out by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS). Since 1949, the awards have recognized excellence in American primetime television programming. They are divided into three classes - Primetime Emmy Awards, the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards (honors artisan achievements), and the Primetime Engineering Emmy Awards (recognizes significant engineering and technological contributions). The typical eligibility period is between June 1 and May 31 of any given year. The Television Academy comprises over 25,000 members, representing 30 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various artisans and executives.
- The 74th Emmy Awards will take place on Monday, Sept. 12, and air on NBC.