Variety Awards Circuit section is the home for all awards news and related content throughout the year, featuring the following: the official awards predictions for the upcoming Oscars and Emmys ceremonies, curated by Variety senior awards editor Clayton Davis; Awards Circuit Column, a weekly analysis dissecting the trends and contenders by television editor Michael Schneider (for Emmys) and Davis (for Oscars); Awards Circuit Podcast, a weekly interview series with talent and an expert roundtable discussion; and Awards Circuit Video analyzes various categories and contenders by Variety's leading awards pundits. Variety's unmatched coverage gives its readership unbeatable exposure in print and online, as well as provide inside reports on all the contenders in this year's awards season races.
To see all the latest predictions, of all the categories, in one place, visit
THE EMMYS COLLECTIVE
Visit each category, per the individual awards show from
THE EMMYS HUB
To see old predictions and commentary, click the EMMY PREDICTIONS ARCHIVES
For film awards predictions go to
THE OSCARS HUB
UPDATED: August 19, 2022
2022 EMMYS PREDICTIONS:
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE
AWARDS PREDICTION COMMENTARY:
The only representative from a show that isn’t “Dopesick” or “The White Lotus,” Seth Rogen’s deserved nomination for playing Rand Gauthier, serves as his best yet, and he could be the benefactor of all the vote-splitting that’s undoubtedly occurring in the category.
The dynamic Armond is incredibly charged and charismatic in the HBO limited series, and Murray Bartlett has reaped the benefits of it, with wins from Critics Choice and noms from SAG. As long as his co-stars don’t siphon essential votes away, this category is his to lose.
With decades in the industry, Steve Zahn managed to snag his first nom as Mark Mossbacher, the husband who is dealing with a health crisis. Can he get past the entitled Shane and drug addict Armond? It might be difficult but crazier things have happened.
As the spoiled Shane Patton, Jake Lacy’s commitment to the arc of his vile character on the series is one that people responded to, landing him his first nom. A dark horse selection for members to give their votes to.
Long believed to be the challenger to Bartlett, Peter Sarsgaard’s Rick Mountcastle is precise and committed throughout the heartbreaking Hulu series. Could he still make a play for the win with other co-stars in the lineup? Watch out.
An actor’s actor, Michael Stuhlbarg had multiple performances this year including in “The Staircase,” and his work in “Dopesick” serves as the representation for his standout performance. He might be able to pull it off in this lineup with the right pocket of support.
A surprising entry, especially considering the men from “The Dropout” missed here as well, Will Poulter’s Billy Cutler is a beacon of hope that the love for “Dopesick” runs deep and it’s still in the race for the top category. His nom, however, is the reward.
The complete television awards season calendar is linked here.
The 74th Primetime Emmy Awards will take place on Monday, Sept. 12, and air on NBC.
2021 category winner: Evan Peters, “Mare of Easttown” (HBO)
ALL AWARDS CONTENDERS AND RANKINGS:
AWARDS CATEGORY HISTORY (Supporting Actor Limited Series/TV Movie)
The Primetime Emmy Awards, better known simply as the Emmys, is television’s most prestigious artistic award. Many records are held for both wins and nominations in the near eight decades.
For wins: The rules for this category have changed many times over the years, but as it stands, Beau Bridges is the only actor ever to win this race more than once – “The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom” (1993) and “The Second Civil War” (1997).
For nominations: The late Brian Dennehy is the most nominated actor in this category with four nods, followed by Beau Bridges, John Gielgud, John Malkovich, Joe Mantegna and Michael K. Williams with three apiece.
2022 Primetime Emmy Awards Predictions
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Comedy Series
- Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series, Movie, or Dramatic Special
- Outstanding Competition Program
- Outstanding Variety Talk Series
2022 Creative Arts Emmys Predictions
- Outstanding Television Movie
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Reality Host
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Animated Program
- Outstanding Short Form Animated Program
- Outstanding Voice-Over Performance
- Outstanding Narrator
- Outstanding Structured Program
- Outstanding Unstructured Program
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
- Outstanding Documentary Filmmaking
- Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special
- Outstanding Main Title Design
- Outstanding Main Title Theme Music
- Outstanding Music for Series
- Outstanding Music for Limited Series
- Outstanding Music and Lyrics
- Outstanding Music Supervision
About the Primetime Emmy Awards (Emmys)
The Primetime Emmy Awards, better known as the Emmys, are given out by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS). Since 1949, the awards have recognized excellence in American primetime television programming. They are divided into three classes – Primetime Emmy Awards, the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards (honors artisan achievements), and the Primetime Engineering Emmy Awards (recognizes significant engineering and technological contributions). The typical eligibility period is between June 1 and May 31 of any given year. The Television Academy comprises over 25,000 members, representing 30 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various artisans and executives.
- The 74th Emmy Awards will take place on Monday, Sept. 12, and air on NBC.