Variety Awards Circuit section is the home for all awards news and related content throughout the year, featuring the following: the official awards predictions for the upcoming Oscars and Emmys ceremonies, curated by Variety senior awards editor Clayton Davis; Awards Circuit Column, a weekly analysis dissecting the trends and contenders by television editor Michael Schneider (for Emmys) and Davis (for Oscars); Awards Circuit Podcast, a weekly interview series with talent and an expert roundtable discussion; and Awards Circuit Video analyzes various categories and contenders by Variety's leading awards pundits. Variety's unmatched coverage gives its readership unbeatable exposure in print and online, as well as provide inside reports on all the contenders in this year's awards season races.
To see all the latest predictions, of all the categories, in one place, visit
THE EMMYS COLLECTIVE
Visit each category, per the individual awards show from
THE EMMYS HUB
To see old predictions and commentary, click the EMMY PREDICTIONS ARCHIVES
For film awards predictions go to
THE OSCARS HUB
UPDATED: June 23, 2022
2022 EMMYS PREDICTIONS:
OUTSTANDING STRUCTURED REALITY PROGRAM
AWARDS PREDICTION COMMENTARY:
Netflix won its ninth (overall) statuette for its flagship reality program “Queer Eye” in 2021, which landed six noms across the board. The Fab 5, also contending for reality host, continue to attract voters and could walk away with the prize once again for the sixth season.
With four wins in this category, it’s currently tied with ABC’s “Shark Tank” as the most awarded ever. One of the two could break the all-time winning record this year.
The ABC series has dominated for the past 12 years, with 10 total nominations in this category, with the iconic panel of “judges.” Remaining relevant in our current climate of small business expansion, it could be among the favorites once again. However, it hasn’t won since 2017.
There are 36 shows vying for attention, which will allow five nominees to be named.
With 19 previous noms, PBS’ “Antiques Roadshow” has owned this corner of the Emmys for some time, and is currently the most nominated series in the category’s history. What’s impressive is it’s managed to do it without loud and splashy awards campaigning. Instead, executive producer Marsha Bemko, senior producer Sam Farrell and producer Sarah Elliott know how to reach the key voters.
Coming back for its second season, even though it didn’t quite hit all the magical notes of the first, Kinetic Content’s dating experiment “Love is Blind” still did gangbusters on Netflix’s platform and could be one of its many reality programs that gets love.
Food Network could have a possible entry with “Restaurant: Impossible” while HGTV’s “Married to Real Estate” and Magnolia Network’s “Fixer Upper: Welcome Home” continues to garner support.
Also watch out for HBO’s “My Mom, Your Dad” or TLC’s “Dr. Pimple Popper” that could break into the fray. Both seem right on the bubble for recognition.
Read more: Variety’s Awards Circuit Emmys Predictions Hub.
The nomination round of voting runs from June 16 to June 27. The official nominations for the 74th Emmy Awards will be announced Tuesday, July 12.
The complete television awards season calendar is linked here.
2021 category winner: “Queer Eye” (Netflix)
ALL AWARDS CONTENDERS AND RANKINGS:
2022 Primetime Emmy Awards Predictions
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Comedy Series
- Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series, Movie, or Dramatic Special
- Outstanding Competition Program
- Outstanding Variety Talk Series
2022 Creative Arts Emmys Predictions
- Outstanding Television Movie
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Reality Host
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Animated Program
- Outstanding Short Form Animated Program
- Outstanding Voice-Over Performance
- Outstanding Narrator
- Outstanding Structured Program
- Outstanding Unstructured Program
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
- Outstanding Documentary Filmmaking
- Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special
- Outstanding Main Title Design
- Outstanding Main Title Theme Music
- Outstanding Music for Series
- Outstanding Music for Limited Series
- Outstanding Music and Lyrics
- Outstanding Music Supervision
About the Primetime Emmy Awards (Emmys)
The Primetime Emmy Awards, better known as the Emmys, are given out by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS). Since 1949, the awards have recognized excellence in American primetime television programming. They are divided into three classes - Primetime Emmy Awards, the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards (honors artisan achievements), and the Primetime Engineering Emmy Awards (recognizes significant engineering and technological contributions). The typical eligibility period is between June 1 and May 31 of any given year. The Television Academy comprises over 25,000 members, representing 30 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various artisans and executives.
- The 74th Emmy Awards will take place on Monday, Sept. 12, and air on NBC.