Variety Awards Circuit section is the home for all awards news and related content throughout the year, featuring the following: the official awards predictions for the upcoming Oscars and Emmys ceremonies, curated by Variety senior awards editor Clayton Davis; Awards Circuit Column, a weekly analysis dissecting the trends and contenders by television editor Michael Schneider (for Emmys) and Davis (for Oscars); Awards Circuit Podcast, a weekly interview series with talent and an expert roundtable discussion; and Awards Circuit Video analyzes various categories and contenders by Variety's leading awards pundits. Variety's unmatched coverage gives its readership unbeatable exposure in print and online, as well as provide inside reports on all the contenders in this year's awards season races.
To see all the latest predictions, of all the categories, in one place, visit
THE EMMYS COLLECTIVE
Visit each category, per the individual awards show from
THE EMMYS HUB
To see old predictions and commentary, click the EMMY PREDICTIONS ARCHIVES
For film awards predictions go to
THE OSCARS HUB
UPDATED: August 19, 2022
2022 EMMYS PREDICTIONS:
OUTSTANDING HOST OF A REALITY OR REALITY COMPETITION PROGRAM
AWARDS PREDICTION COMMENTARY:
Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman (“Making It”) – This dynamic duo was a bit of a surprise on nomination morning, but the two starlets have had a great year that included Poehler directing an Emmy-nominated documentary (“Lucy and Desi”) and Offerman’s stint in multiple programs including the Emmy-nominated “Pam & Tommy.” Will the odds of winning for the doc, assist in this category?
Bobby Berk, Karamo Brown, Tan France, Antoni Porowski, Jonathan Van Ness (“Queer Eye”) – The Fab 5 have never been better, more entertaining, or more timely than the last season of Netflix’s “Queer Eye.” Is it time to finally bestow the prize on their undeniable chemistry?
Nicole Byer (“Nailed It!”) – Byer made history as the first Black woman ever to be nominated for hosting a few years ago. With a stand-up special and other hosting gigs, she continues to dominate the TV space. How much longer will the TV Academy wait until they bestow the honor upon her?
Barbara Corcoran, Mark Cuban, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec, Daymond John, Kevin O’Leary (“Shark Tank”) – The Sharks are always bubbling near the top, and they’ve managed to nab a spot here once again. However, not the traditional hosts that the category rewards, the Sharks may need to seek love in other categories such as unstructured reality, which is easier to overcome.
Padma Lakshmi (“Top Chef”) – Lakshmi has been a staple for the Bravo hit reality series for years now, and she’s walking into voting after winning the Critics Choice Real TV Award for hosting. Could she be a dark horse waiting to unseat one of the other front-runners?
RuPaul (“RuPaul’s Drag Race”) – Last year’s winner RuPaul became the most awarded Black artist in Emmy history. With the VH1 show dominating once again, will the iconic drag queen get another pair of statuettes to go home with?
The complete television awards season calendar is linked here.
The 74th Primetime Emmy Awards will take place on Monday, Sept. 12, and air on NBC.
2021 category winner: RuPaul, “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (VH1)
ALL AWARDS CONTENDERS AND RANKINGS:
2022 Primetime Emmy Awards Predictions
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Comedy Series
- Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie
- Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Writing for a Limited Series, Movie, or Dramatic Special
- Outstanding Competition Program
- Outstanding Variety Talk Series
2022 Creative Arts Emmys Predictions
- Outstanding Television Movie
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series
- Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
- Outstanding Reality Host
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series
- Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special
- Outstanding Animated Program
- Outstanding Short Form Animated Program
- Outstanding Voice-Over Performance
- Outstanding Narrator
- Outstanding Structured Program
- Outstanding Unstructured Program
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
- Outstanding Documentary Filmmaking
- Outstanding Hosted Nonfiction Series or Special
- Outstanding Main Title Design
- Outstanding Main Title Theme Music
- Outstanding Music for Series
- Outstanding Music for Limited Series
- Outstanding Music and Lyrics
- Outstanding Music Supervision
About the Primetime Emmy Awards (Emmys)
The Primetime Emmy Awards, better known as the Emmys, are given out by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS). Since 1949, the awards have recognized excellence in American primetime television programming. They are divided into three classes – Primetime Emmy Awards, the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards (honors artisan achievements), and the Primetime Engineering Emmy Awards (recognizes significant engineering and technological contributions). The typical eligibility period is between June 1 and May 31 of any given year. The Television Academy comprises over 25,000 members, representing 30 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various artisans and executives.
- The 74th Emmy Awards will take place on Monday, Sept. 12, and air on NBC.