Lizzo was the Queen of TikTok this year, as millions of users learned the choreography for “About Damn Time” and engaged with her other songs and videos. TikTok users also pushed “Jiggle Jiggle” and the “It’s corn!” kid to the top viral trends on the app in the U.S.
Lizzo, who has 26 million TikTok followers, was the No. 1 music artist on TikTok this year, based on total video views. “About Damn Time” was the app’s No. 4 top-trending song, and Lizzo’s TikTok video in which she demonstrates the dance for the hit song came in at seventh place on the trending-videos ranking, according to the company. (“About Damn Time” also is Variety’s Hitmakers Record of the Year.)
The No. 1 trending song in the U.S. was “Sunroof” by Nicky Youre and Dazy, with TikTok users making some 8.9 million videos featuring the track. “Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)”, the 1985 song by Kate Bush that roared back on the charts after playing a key role in “Stranger Things 4,” was No. 10.
“Jiggle Jiggle,” the rap created more than two decades ago by documentary filmmaker Louis Theroux, gained a new life after it was remixed by DJ duo Duke & Jones (No. 8 on the top trending songs) and became a popular dance on TikTok created by English college students Jess Qualter and Brooke Blewitt. “Riverdale” stars Camila Mendes (Veronica Lodge), Lili Reinhart (Betty Cooper) and Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl Blossom) tapped into the craze on their joint TikTok account @blondebrunetteredhead, where their deadpan take on “Jiggle Jiggle” was the No. 4 trending video in the U.S. for the year.
In addition, Drew Barrymore and Lupita Nyong’o were among the top 10 U.S. “breakthrough” creators on TikTok, registering among the creators with the biggest growth on the platform for the year.
“We’re honored to celebrate our global community who shaped this year’s trends, shared new ideas, learned from one another, and turned their passions into careers and livelihoods throughout 2022,” Vanessa Pappas, TikTok’s chief operating officer, said in announcing the 2022 lists.
TikTok Top Artists 2022, U.S.
TikTok Top Trending Videos 2022, U.S.
- @amauryguichon: Constructing a very large chocolate giraffe
- @chipmunksoftiktok: Squishy’s back after hibernation!
- @rosalia: You can say a lot with the way you chew gum
- @blondebrunetteredhead: “Jiggle Jiggle” by the leads of “Riverdale”
- @little.blooming.women: “I’m just a baby!”
- @schmoyoho: Corn Kid gets remixed
- @lizzo: Lizzo’s choreo for “About Damn Time”
- @itsmrfinn: A teacher’s elaborate yearly school musical reveal
- @jimmydarts: Helping Tom get back on his feet
- @meltandpour: The ultimate showdown: lava vs. ice
TikTok Top Trending Songs 2022, U.S.
- “Sunroof” – Nicky Youre & Dazy
- “L$d” – Luclover
- “Ginseng Strip 2002” – Yung Lean
- “About Damn Time” – Lizzo
- “Just a Cloud Away” – Pharrell Williams
- “Forever” – Labrinth
- “Wait a Minute!” – Willow
- “Jiggle Jiggle” – Duke & Jones, Louis Theroux
- “BILLIE EILISH.” – Armani White
- “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)” – Kate Bush
TikTok Top Trends 2022, U.S.
- Jiggle Jiggle
- It’s Corn!
- One Thing About Me
- That’s Not My Name
- OK I Like it, Picasso
- Core Memories
- Things That Just Make Sense
- Renaissance Eyes
1. Ice Spice – @icespicee
2. Steve Lacy – @steve.lacy
3. Bailey Zimmerman – @bailey.zimmerman
4. JVKE – @jvke
5. Benson Boone – @bensonboone
6. GloRilla – @glorilla03
7. Latto – @latto777
8. Omar Apollo – @omar.apollo
9. Muni Long – @munilong
10. Anees – @anees
TikTok Breakthrough Creators 2022, U.S.
- @jaedengomezz & @karaleighcannella
Most Viewed Artists, Global
1. Kim Loaiza
2. Bella Poarch
3. Mont Pantoja
4. JD Pantoja
6. Atta Halilintar
7. Bad Bunny
8. Charlie Puth
10. Doja Cat
Artists With Most New Followers, Global
1. Bad Bunny
2. Karol G
4. Snoop Dogg
5. Kim Loaiza
6. Doja Cat
7. Billie Eilish