×

French Film Magazine Cahiers du Cinema’s Staff Quits Over New Ownership

UPDATED– The future of iconic French film publication Cahiers du Cinéma is in question after most of the outlet’s staff quit in protest over the brand’s new ownership. Although it was reported in local media that the entire staff had resigned, it turns out that at least two staffers have decided to stay on board. Seven journalists have quit, including the editor-in-chief Stéphane Delorme and deputy editor Jean-Philippe Tessé.

The editorial staff has spoken out against a perceived conflict of interest posed by the Cahier’s owners — a group of bankers, tech entrepreneurs and film producers that bought the publication one month back.

A statement released by staff on Thursday reads, “The new shareholders are composed notably of eight producers and this poses a problem of conflict of interest for a critical review. No matter what articles might be published on film by these producers, it would automatically be suspected.

“The autonomous charter presented by these new shareholders has already been contradicted by the brutal news in the press. It was communicated to us that our review should ‘refocus’ on French cinema. The appointment of director general of the general delegation of the SRF (Society of Film Directors), Julie Lethiphu, adds to fears of an influence from the French cinema community.”

The statement notes that staff was informed the magazine would become more “chic” and mass-market in the future. The magazine’s journalists are all taking a buy-out clause that protects the rights of journalists when the ownership of an outlet changes.

Founded in 1951, the esteemed publication counted among its first contributors Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut.

Tessé, who’s worked at Cahiers for 17 years, said, “The new owners want to make it a ‘chic’ and ‘cordial’ review; it’s absolute nonsense.”

The French newspaper Le Monde reports that the new shareholders claim they have not instructed staffers to alter their editorial vision.

“The editorial staff must write what they want on cinema. It is out of the question to guide your choices,” Eric Lenoir, the new manager of the company, told Le Monde.

More Biz

  • Studio Babelsberg

    Terminated 'Matrix 4,' 'Uncharted' Film Crews Demand Help From Studio Babelsberg

    Germany’s Studio Babelsberg is seeking to find a settlement with hundreds of film crew members following the shutdown earlier this month of Warner Bros.’ “The Matrix 4” and Sony Pictures’ “Uncharted” amid the coronavirus outbreak. The production stop has left many independent film crew members without pay and more than 300 have formed a working [...]

  • 20190702_788LCDP_S4_tamaraarranz_DSC_9303.nef

    Spanish TV Industry Adjusts to Harsh Realities of the Coronavirus Crisis

    The Spanish TV industry has been shaken by the dramatic impact of the coronavirus crisis, but it is fighting back. Industry players have reacted fast, pushing forward with development, post-production and other business activities using online tools, and with the expectation of supporting funds from both public and private initiatives that will mitigate the effects [...]

  • Bob Chapek Bob Iger Disney

    Bob Iger to Give Up Salary, Other Senior Disney Executives to Take Pay Cuts

    Disney has joined the list of companies implementing sizable pay cuts for senior executives amid the upheaval caused by the coronavirus crisis. Bob Iger, who shifted from chairman-CEO to executive chairman last month, has opted to forgo his salary for the year. Bob Chapek, who succeeded Iger as CEO, has taken a 50% pay cut. [...]

  • Universal Music Group

    Universal Music Group Announces Coronavirus-Relief Initiatives

    Universal Music Group today announced several initiatives to bring relief to musicians, its employees and the music industry in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic that in a short time has devastated so much of the global economy. It also pledged to assist its artists in their charitable efforts The non-UMG effort comes in the [...]

  • Dubai Expo

    Expo Dubai, Scheduled for October, Set to Be Postponed

    The highly anticipated Expo Dubai is expected to be postponed by one year due to the coronavirus pandemic. A formal announcement about the world fair — which showcases the arts, business and technology — is expected shortly, following meetings between U.A.E. officials and representatives of 192 participating countries. On Monday, the event’s steering committee convened [...]

  • Tiger King

    Global Content Trends Reveal Unscripted Boom, Surge in Female-Led Dramas

    Against the backdrop of a global pandemic, during which millions of self-isolating individuals are tuning into home entertainment, the trends shaping global content have never been more evident. Recent findings by London-based media research firm Ampere Analysis, which delivered a presentation as part of virtual event MIPTV Plus, reveals an unscripted boom among streamers (best [...]

  • MIDEM 2020 Conference Cancelled, Reboots as

    MIDEM 2020 Conference Cancelled, Reboots as Digital Edition

    Reed MIDEM announces that Midem 2020, which was due to take place June 2-5 in Cannes, is cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus. The next edition of Midem will take place June 1-4, 2021, in Cannes, the organization said. “The situation related to the coronavirus is changing daily, as are government announcements and restrictions. [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content