This awards season could showcase possibly one of the most diverse group of contenders ever. A record-breaking number of women are directing and writing films; Tara Miele among them with her cerebral drama “Wander Darkly,” which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Lionsgate is giving the film a strong awards push and will submit Diego Luna for awards consideration in the best supporting actor category. His co-star Sienna Miller will be submitted for best actress.
With a beautiful mixture of culture and genders in the awards conversation, Latinx performers are still underrepresented in the Academy’s acting categories. Luna’s submission is just one of seven Latinx performances for the Academy to choose from in this extended eligibility year. The other actors, all currently considered long shots for recognition are Ariana DeBose (“The Prom”), Colman Domingo (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”), Al Madrigal (“The Way Back”), Anya Taylor-Joy (“Emma”) and Armando Espitia and Christian Vazquez (“I Carry You With Me”). Espitia and Taylor-Joy are currently the only Latinos up for any leading categories.
Luna has been a staple in Hollywood and many awards vehicles over the last 20 years. His big breakout came with 2001’s “Y Tu Mamá También,” which was nominated for best original screenplay for brothers Alfonso and Carlos Cuarón. The 40-year-old Mexican-born actor was up for a Screen Actors Guild Award for 2008’s “Milk” in best performance by an ensemble cast, along with the other actors. He most recently portrayed Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo in Netflix’s “Narcos: Mexico” and will reprise his role as Cassian Andor from “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” for an upcoming Disney Plus series.
With plans for a release in theaters and on VOD, Lionsgate has already put the film on the Academy streaming platform for voters to consider. Miller and Luna have earned critical praise for their roles. Along with the acting possibilities, the pic could be a dark horse in other categories like original screenplay for Miele. Her film is a great example of diversity and inclusivity both in front of and behind the camera. The movie also stars Dominican actress Aimee Carrero, veteran character actress Beth Grant and “SNL” alum Vanessa Bayer.
“Wander Darkly,” tells the story of Adrienne (Miller) and Matteo (Luna), who are forced to reckon with trauma amid their troubled relationship while revisiting the memories of their past.
Lionsgate will release the film in theaters and on VOD on Dec. 11.
Visit THE AWARDS HUB to see the full list of contenders by category.
Academy Awards Predictions (All Categories)
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Director
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Original Screenplay
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Adapted Screenplay
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Animated Feature
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Production Design
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Cinematography
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Costume Design
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Film Editing
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Makeup and Hairstyling
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Sound
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Visual Effects
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Original Score
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Original Song
- 2021 Oscar Predictions: Best Documentary Feature