Of course, Snapchat and Instagram users have long shared tweets in their posts. But that’s required taking a screenshot from Twitter and then sharing that as a photo on the apps.
The ability to share tweets from Twitter’s app to Snapchat is available starting today on iOS, with the companies planning to add the feature for Android soon. Users can share tweets visually in Snaps and Stories, while still accessing the Camera and the full suite of Snapchat creative tools. Viewers in Snapchat can tap the attachment to view the tweet and replies directly in Twitter.
“Today’s update makes it easier and faster to share tweets to Snapchat and connects more people to the conversations happening on Twitter,” a Snap rep said.
Tweets shared on Snapchat will disappear the same time as the Snap (24 hours if posted in a Story). If a tweet has been deleted on Twitter after it’s shared on Snapchat, Snapchatters will see that the tweet has been deleted when they swipe up.
It’s the first consumer-facing partnership between Twitter and Snap. Last month, the companies announced a pact under which Snapchat Audience Network ad inventory is available to app publishers and developers using Twitter’s Mopub platform.
The companies created the new feature through Snap’s Creative Kit product for sharing content from third-party apps and websites. Other partners that have integrated with the Snapchat app include Spotify, Reddit, SoundCloud, Sendit, YOLO and GOAT. According to Snap, nearly 150 million Snapchatters each month engage with such third-party integrations.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to share a tweet to Snapchat from the Twitter app:
- Tap the share icon on the public tweet in Twitter. (Note: A protected tweet cannot be shared.)
- Tap the Snapchat icon on the bottom horizontal scroll of icons.
- If you’re signed into the Snapchat app on your device and not in the middle of creating a Snap, the Snapchat app will open directly to the Camera and the tweet you want to share will appear on top of the Camera as an immovable sticker. If you want to use a Lens, tap the screen to activate the Lens Carousel.
- Once you take your Snap (video or photo), you can pinch to move and resize the tweet sticker. More Snapchat Creative Tools can be used at this point including captions, stickers, Bitmojis, Cameos and Filters.
- Tap the blue “Send” button in the bottom right corner to share with individuals or groups or to post to your Story for all your friends to see.
- People will be able to see the tweet as a sticker in your Snap and can swipe up to go to Twitter to view the tweet there.