×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Jussie Smollett’s Bail Set at $100,000, Must Surrender Passport

UPDATED: A Chicago judge set a $100,000 bond for Jussie Smollett on Thursday, as the “Empire” actor made his first court appearance.

Smollett faces one felony count of filing a false police report. Police allege that Smollett staged a Jan. 29 attack, telling detectives that he was accosted by two men who used racial and homophobic slurs.

Smollett was released from jail around 3:30 p.m. C.T. and walked behind a man shielding him from view, exiting the gate to a crowd of photographers.

Outside court, a Cook County prosecutor read from a bond proffer that detailed extensive evidence against Smollett, including text messages, phone records, and witness statements. Risa Lanier, the chief of the criminal prosecutions bureau, said that Smollett had been close friends with Abel Osundairo, one of the purported attackers, since the fall of 2017.

Lanier alleged that Osundairo had provided Smollett with “designer drugs” since the spring of 2018, and that text messages show Smollett asking him for “molly,” a reference to ecstasy.

According to Lanier, Smollett texted to Osundairo on Jan. 25, saying “might need your help on the low.” “You around to meet up and talk face to face?”

Smollett then met with Osundairo and proposed staging the attack, according to prosecutors. Three days earlier, Smollett had received a threatening letter at Cinespace Studios in Chicago, where “Empire” is filmed. Police have alleged that Smollett sent the letter to himself, and federal investigators are still probing that aspect of the case.

Lanier said that Smollett wanted to stage the attack because he was disappointed in the studio’s response to the letter. Smollett recruited Abel’s older brother, Ola Osundairo, to participate in the attack. Both men had worked on “Empire,” Abel as a stand-in for Smollett’s character’s romantic interest on the show, and Ola as an extra.

Prosecutors allege that Smollett gave the brothers a $100 bill to purchase supplies for the attack, including red hats, ski masks and rope. Smollett wanted to stage the attack so that it would be captured on surveillance cameras, according to the proffer. He wrote a personal check to Abel Osundairo for $3500, which was deposited.

Smollett intended for the attack to take place at 10 p.m. on Jan. 28, but his flight from New York to Chicago was delayed by four hours. According to the proffer, Smollett rescheduled the attack for 2 a.m. Prosecutors say that Smollett was about four minutes late, and that the brothers waited at the designated location until he arrived. They allege that the staged attack took about 45 seconds, and was just outside of camera range.

The brothers ran away, and Smollett went home. When police responded, he allegedly told them that his attackers had poured bleach on him and put a rope around his neck, and said that this is “MAGA country.” He also claimed that he had received a threatening phone call on Jan. 26, in which the caller said “You little f—–” and hung up.

Prosecutors allege that Smollett stayed in touch with the two brothers, who left for Nigeria later that day. Phone records show that Abel Osundairo and Smollett spoke for more than eight minutes on Jan. 30, while Osundairo was in Istanbul.

If convicted, Smollett could face one to three years in prison, though he could also be sentenced to probation. Smollett could also be ordered to repay the cost of the Chicago Police Department investigation.

Smollett has denied involvement in the attack.

Jussie Smollett Bond Proffer by on Scribd

More Biz

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

  • Members of the public mourn at

    Guy Oseary’s New Zealand Fundraiser Nears $150,000, Continues Raising Money

    In the wake of the horrific shootings at New Zealand mosques last week that killed some 49 people, Maverick chief Guy Oseary launched a GoFundMe campaign to “support those affected by this tragedy at this very difficult time,” and began it with an $18,000 donation. Boosted by donations from many celebrities — including Amy Schumer, [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content