‘Valiant Effort’ Bringing WWII Air Crew Action to PC

Valiant Effort,” an upcoming PC game that takes players into the skies of occupied Europe during WWII, was announced earlier this month by developer Sharp End Studio.

A short teaser trailer for the game was released on Wednesday, which you can watch above. It doesn’t reveal much, but gives a glimpse of the tone of the game and shows the Avro Lancaster ahead of D-Day takeoff, which developers at Sharp End Studio based off of the real thing. The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum’s gave the studio some access to its collection which features one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world, according to a press release from founder Andrew Spearin.

The game is single-player and has a three-player cooperative mode. Players have to prove they have what it takes to hold a position in the aircrew.

“Players will undergo training in order to qualify and operate positions in the aircraft, including Pilot, Air Gunner, and Bomb Aimer,” Spearin wrote in an email. “After completing training, players will join 419 ‘Moose’ Squadron in May 1944 as the Allies prepare for the liberation of Europe. Their goal is to complete a full 30 operation tour with the Avro Lancaster aircraft. Historically, the odds of survival for an aircrew operating with RAF Bomber Command were low: only 40% made it through the war unscathed – the remaining 60% were either killed, wounded, or held prisoner.”

If it seems like there are a lot of historical details woven into gameplay, that’s not by mistake. The goal for the game is to fuse education and entertainment into the experience, which follows Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski, VC. In fact, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum and Sharp End Studio will even have a virtual reality component of “Valiant Effort” to help with this goal– though VR is not necessary to play the game.

Popular on Variety

There is no set release date just yet, but expect “Valiant Effort” sometime in 2020.

More Gaming

  • Activision-Blizzard-Overwatch-League-Grand-Finals-2018

    YouTube Scores Exclusive Streaming for Activision Blizzard's E-Sports, Including Overwatch and Call of Duty Leagues

    YouTube landed a multiyear deal as the exclusive live-streaming partner for Activision Blizzard’s e-sports events worldwide, including Overwatch League, Call of Duty League, Hearthstone Esports. The agreement (which excludes China) promises to give a big boost to YouTube Gaming, the video giant’s dedicated home for all things related to games. It’s also a loss for [...]

  • Conan Unconquered

    Tencent Bids for Control of Funcom 'Conan' Games Developer

    China’s social media and gaming giant Tencent is bidding to buy control of Funcom, developer of the “Conan” and “Dune” games. The bid values the Norwegian company at $148 million. Tencent already owns 29% of Funcom, and its bid has been unanimously approved by Funcom’s board of directors. No management changes are planned. The shares [...]

  • 100 Thieves

    Esports Organization 100 Thieves Unveils New Facility in Los Angeles

    As of Wednesday, popular esports organization 100 Thieves has an official home in Los Angeles. The group unveiled its new 15,000 square-foot facility, officially named the 100 Thieves Cash App Compound, in a media preview with some of its biggest personalities and investor Scooter Braun on hand. Also in attendance was Jack Dorsey, the CEO [...]

  • Marvel-Strike-Force-FoxNext

    Disney Sells FoxNext Games Unit to Scopely

    Disney has sold off FoxNext Games, the studio it obtained through the purchase of 20th Century Fox, to mobile-games developer Scopely. Terms of the pact were not disclosed. Under the terms of the pact, Scopely is acquiring FoxNext Games Los Angeles, the game studio behind hit game “Marvel Strike Force,” and San Jose-based Cold Iron [...]

  • Call of Duty The Campaign

    Watch the First Episode of New Call of Duty League Docuseries 'The Campaign' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Even a new league comes with history. That’s one of the takeaways from the first episode of “The Campaign,” which follows the Chicago Huntsmen in the lead-up to Activision Blizzard’s new franchised Call of Duty League. Variety is debuting the first episode exclusively, which details some of the narrative that follows the Huntsmen (based in [...]

  • Vindex - Imax

    Imax Jumps Into Esports in Exclusive Pact With Startup Vindex

    Hold on to your popcorn: An Imax location near you could soon be beaming live competitive video-game action onto its big screens. Imax has inked a partnership with Vindex (vindex.gg), an esports infrastructure startup formed by Major League Gaming co-founders Mike Sepso and Sundance DiGiovanni, under which Vindex will create esports events and experiences exclusively [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content