×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘The Deuce’ Prepares for Season 2 With James Franco on Board Despite Sexual Harassment Allegations

HBO’s “The Deuce” is planning to begin filming its second season in a few weeks with James Franco still on board as star and executive producer of the drama series.

Franco’s status on the show had been questioned after five women came forward to the Los Angeles Times in January with allegations of sexual misconduct against the actor. After the Times report was published Jan. 11, HBO said it had reached out to staffers on the show and found no complaints or concerns raised about Franco’s behavior on “Deuce.” Franco plays twin brothers on the show, which chronicles the birth of the modern pornography business in New York City in the early 1970s. Franco has also directed episodes of the show, in addition to exec producing with creators/showrunners George Pelecanos and David Simon.

At present, the “Deuce” writing staff is at work on scripts for the second season in which Franco’s characters of Frankie and Vincent Martino are integral to the plot. A source close to the situation said there was no alternate plan for storylines should Franco be forced out. Franco said during an appearance on CBS’ “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” in January that many of the accusations leveled against him are “not accurate.”

The dark cloud cast by the Times report is widely believed to have cost Franco a lead actor Oscar nomination for his work in “The Disaster Artist.” The movie had been generating strong awards traction for Franco, including a Golden Globe win and SAG Award nomination, prior to the sexual harassment storm.

HBO has taken a hard line on associating with creatives linked to troubling sexual harassment allegations. The pay cabler dropped older series and comedy specials starring Louis C.K. from its on-demand platforms after the comedian acknowledged the truth of accusations published by the New York Times in November. HBO also dropped plans for a miniseries about Donald Trump’s ascent to the White House after veteran political reporter Mark Halperin, one of the project’s exec producers, was accused of sexual harassment by multiple women.

In the case of Franco, multiple women accused the actor of taking advantage of them and putting them in sexually charged situations during production on low-budget independent films. But the lack of complaints about Franco’s behavior during season one of “Deuce” and the absence of additional alleged victims coming forward publicly during the past month with appears to have persuaded HBO, Simon and Pelecanos to maintain the status quo.

In January, Simon said Franco’s conduct had been “entirely professional” on the set of “Deuce.” “I’m still reading it the same as everyone else, trying to discern what is or isn’t there,” Simon told Variety in a statement issued Jan. 11. “Personally I can only speak knowledgeably to ‘The Deuce.’ I’ve checked with all my fellow producers and other personnel. We have no complainant or complaint or any awareness of any incident of concern involving Mr. Franco. Nor has HBO been approached with any complaint. In our experience, he was entirely professional as an actor, director, and producer.”

More TV

  • Joel Kinnaman Mireille Enos Esme Creed

    Amazon's 'Hanna,' New Season of 'False Flag' Lead Strong Berlinale Series Lineup

    Amazon Prime Video’s upcoming high-concept thriller “Hanna” will debut at the 2019 Berlinale Series, with its stars – Esme Creed-Miles, Joel Kinnaman and Mireille Enos – expected in Berlin for its premiere. Netflix also features in the lineup and will debut “Quicksand,” its first Swedish original. A roster of seven shows also includes big-ticket Sky [...]

  • China’s ‘Boonie Bears’ Reach Korea With

    China’s ‘Boonie Bears’ Reach Korea With Animated Series and Movie

    Two seasons of the hit Chinese animation series “Boonie Bears” have been licensed for release in South Korea. The deal was struck by animation studio Fantawild with content distributor Media to Media. The broker has acquired IPTV and VOD rights to “Boonie Bears: Four Seasons” and “Sunsational Summer and Snow Daze,” a total of 104 [...]

  • Mike Royce24th Annual Critics' Choice Awards,

    CBS Orders Comedy Pilot 'Story of Us' From 'One Day at a Time' Co-Creator Mike Royce

    CBS has ordered a pilot for the comedy “The Story of Us” from writer and executive producer Mike Royce. The hybrid comedy tells the story of how an unlikely couple becomes a family through interviews and vignettes spanning 10 years. In addition to Royce, Nick Stoller and Conor Welch will serve as executive producers. Sony [...]

  • 'Schitt's Creek' Stars Reveal Dream Guest

    'Schitt's Creek' Cast Reveals Dream Guest Stars: Oprah, Beyonce and ...

    “Schitt’s Creek” has big dreams. Dan Levy, who stars as David on the series, says his wish list of guest stars includes Oprah, Beyonce, Mariah Carey and Gwyneth Paltrow. “All for different reasons, none of whom we’ll get,” he cracked at the Critics’ Choice Awards. For those who haven’t caught on to the “Schitt’s Creek” [...]

  • Bob Costas Olympics Mike Tirico

    Bob Costas Officially Out at NBC After Nearly 40 Years

    Bob Costas has formally parted ways with NBC after nearly 40 years as a sportscaster for the Peacock. Costas and NBC have been negotiating an exit agreement for months. Word surfaced last summer that he was preparing to end his tenure with the network. Costas confirmed the news in an interview with the New York [...]

  • Happy

    TV Roundup: Syfy Drops First Trailer for Season 2 of 'Happy!'

    In today’s TV News Roundup, Syfy drops the first trailer for the second season of “Happy!” and Imagine Kids & Family sets a partnership with Four M Studios.  FIRST LOOKS Syfy has dropped the first trailer for season two of “Happy!” starring Christopher Meloni and Patton Oswalt. The new season premieres Wednesday, March 27 at 10/9c [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content