×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Hipgnosis Songs Pays $23 Million for Stake in The-Dream Catalog, Lists on London Stock Exchange

Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited, the company recently launched by former Elton John and Guns N’ Roses manager Merck Mercuriadis, successfully floated on the London Stock Exchange Wednesday — and celebrated by buying up 75% of The-Dream’s catalog for $23 million. The news was first reported by Music Business Worldwide.

The IPO was observed by Mercuriadis, The-Dream and legendary producer/musician Nile Rodgers (pictured above, left to right). Last month the company announced that it had raised more than $260 million to acquire copyrights. It will be run by Mercuriadis with an advisory board that includes Rodgers as well as Jack White manager Ian Montone and Lava Records founder Jason Flom.

The company acquired a 75% interest in 302 songs by The-Dream (real name: Terius Nash) for US $23.25 million, Mercuriadis confirmed, with the remaining 25% interest retained by Nash. Songs in the catalog include Nash cowrites like Rihanna’s “Umbrella,” Beyonce’s “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On it),” Justin Bieber’s “Baby” and Mariah Carey’s “Touch My Body,” as well as The-Dream’s own releases.

“It’s critical for us to set the highest standards with our first acquisition,” Mercuriadis said. “The-Dream is not only arguably the culturally most important songwriter of his generation but he has written the marquee songs for the culturally most significant artists of our time including Beyoncé, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Jay Z and Kanye West. It’s an honor for this to not only be our first order of business but also to welcome Dream to our Advisory Board future.”

The-Dream said, “I’m proud to be part of this beautiful venture. Merck is a music titan who began his career well before I ever imagined having one. His futuristic views captured my attention and instantly made an impact. Merck sees me as I see myself. I sought out to be my generation’s Babyface and Dr. Dre, he sees the same. In making this decision I said to Merck, ‘I need a Jimmy Iovine in my life,’ not just to nurture my songs but to also help solidify the legacy I seek for myself and my songs even after I’m gone, for my children and beyond. His reply was simply ‘I Got it!, and after [that] came action like the one you see playing out today in real time.”

 

More Music

  • Concert Review: Yoko Ono Saluted By

    Concert Review: Yoko Ono Earns a Wide-Ranging, All-Female Salute at Disney Hall

    Yoko One was — is — nothing if not an artist of many facets, as someone who started out in the most avant-garde corners of the visual and performance art worlds and ended up having a flair for conventional pop songwriting. Both sides, the disrupter and the sentimentalist, were celebrated in a wide-ranging tribute concert [...]

  • NF_D_JGN-D6-2160.cr2

    Film Review: 'The Dirt'

    A long time ago, the words sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll carried a hint of danger. The lifestyle did, too, but I’m talking about the phrase. It used to sound cool (back around the time the word “cool” sounded cool). But sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll has long since passed into the realm [...]

  • James Newton Howard Danny Elfman

    New Trend in Concert Halls: Original Music by Movie Composers — No Film Required

    Movie and TV composers are in greater demand than ever for, surprisingly, new music for the concert hall. For decades, concert commissions for film composers were few and far between. The increasing popularity of John Williams’ film music, and his visibility as conductor of the Boston Pops in the 1980s and ’90s, led to his [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Suzi Quatro

    Suzi Quatro on Being a Pioneering Female Rocker: 'Women Have Balls!'

    For Suzi Quatro, portraying intimidating rocker chick Leather Tuscadero on the 1970s sitcom “Happy Days” was art imitating life. A veteran musician who came up in the rough and tumble rock scene of 1960s Detroit, her tough-but-sexy small-screen persona wasn’t an act, and it’s served Quatro well in her pioneering role as arguably the first [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content