×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Zynga to Acquire ‘Empires & Puzzles’ Developer Small Giant Games

Zynga is acquiring Helsinki-based mobile developer Small Giant Games, creator of the “Empires & Puzzles” franchise, it announced on Thursday.

Once the transaction closes on Jan. 1, Zynga will own 80% of Small Giant. It’s paying $560 million for the acquisition, comprised of approximately $330 million in cash and $230 million in stocks. Zynga said it will purchase the remaining 20% of Small Giant over the next three years.

The acquisition adds an experienced team and an innovative franchise to Zynga’s live service portfolio while also expanding its new game pipeline, the company said.

“Empires & Puzzles” blends Match-3 battles with hero collection, base building, and social alliances. It’s repeatedly broken into the top 10 grossing games on Google Play and the App Store since launch and it’s been download over 26 million times.

“We’ve been impressed by the quality and momentum of ‘Empires & Puzzles’ as we add another ‘Forever Franchise’ into Zynga’s portfolio,” said Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau. “Small Giant has created an innovative game that delivers a unique player experience that engages over the long term. We are excited that Small Giant is joining Zynga as they enhance our next phase of growth.”

Small Giant will operate as a separate studio within Zynga after the acquisition, said the studio’s CEO, Timo Soininen. “Our studio was founded on the idea that small, skillful teams can accomplish giant things, and I am confident that partnering with Zynga is the right next step in our evolution,” he said. “By leveraging the expertise and support from the wider Zynga team, we will amplify the reach of ‘Empires & Puzzles’ and the new games in our development pipeline.”

Zynga also announced on Thursday it’s raising its fourth quarter 2018 guidance by $8 million due to the strong performances of “Words With Friends,” “Merge Dragons!” and “CSR2.” It now expects to make $243 million in revenue in Q4 2018.

Popular on Variety

More Gaming

  • Major Lazer Fortnite

    Major Lazer Remixes Fortnite Soundtrack and Releases New In-Game Skins

    Major Lazer, one of Diplo’s many creative outlets, has teamed up with Fortnite to offer fans access to a unique character skin and new remixes of the game’s Default Dance track. The Lazerism set includes the Major Lazer Outfit, Lazer Wings, Lazer Aze, the Lazer Blast emote and the EDM group’s remix of the “Default [...]

  • The Void San Francisco

    The Void Teams Up With Sony Pictures for New Location-Based VR Experience

    James Murdoch-backed virtual reality (VR) startup The Void has teamed up with Sony Pictures Virtual reality to produce a new location-based VR experience, according to Curtis Hickman, the startup’s chief creative officer. Hickman revealed the partnership in a conversation with Variety this week, during which he also outlined plans to bring more original IP to [...]

  • Insomniac Games - Spider-Man

    Sony Is Acquiring Insomniac Games, Studio Behind 'Spider-Man' for PS4

    Sony Interactive Entertainment clinched a deal to acquire longtime PlayStation games developer Insomniac Games in its entirety, the company announced Monday. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed “due to contractual commitments,” according to Sony. Insomniac Games is the developer of PlayStation 4’s top-selling “Marvel’s Spider-Man” and other PS games, including the “Ratchet & [...]

  • westworld awakening art

    HBO Launches 'Westworld Awakening' VR Game With Survios

    Ever wanted to enter the world of “Westworld?” Now you can — except it won’t exactly be like you might have imagined it. Instead of being one of those guests living out their fantasies, you will be a host, slowly coming to grips with your life being an elaborate illusion. “Westworld Awakening” has been produced [...]

  • Telling Lies - Logan Marshall-Green

    Sam Barlow's 'Telling Lies' Government-Surveillance Thriller Game Sets Release Date

    After more than two years in the works, “Telling Lies” — the investigative thriller from acclaimed game creator Sam Barlow — is ready to take the stage. The game, produced with and released by Annapurna Interactive, will be available next Friday, Aug. 23, via Steam and Apple’s Mac and iOS app stores. “Telling Lies” will [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content