×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Niantic Adding PvP To ‘Pokémon Go’ This Year (Report)

Niantic is reportedly bringing a player vs. player mode to its popular augmented reality game “Pokémon Go.”

In an interview with Polish publication Gram, Anne Beuttenmüller, Niantic’s head of marketing for the EMEA region, said the developer is currently working on the feature and it will appear towards the end of 2018.

“We are constantly improving the elements that we have available in the game and the next thing that we want to add at the end of this year is the PvP mode,” Beuttenmüller said via a Google translation.

In addition, Niantic wants to tweak the in-game friendship and trading features it introduced in June. Right now, trainers can create Facebook-style profiles and exchange “friend codes” with each other and increase their “Friendship Level” by fighting in gyms together or exchanging gifts. Soon, Beuttenmüller said they can “segregate” their friends lists and add notes as well.

“The point is that you can have many people on your friends list and do not remember who is who,” she said. She didn’t provide details on how Niantic plans to improve trading, but she did confirm that new Pokémon will be added to the game in the future.

“Pokémon Go” recently celebrated its two-year anniversary. The AR app has made $1.8 billion in revenue since launch, according to market intelligence company Sensor Tower. Players spend an estimated $2 million each day, with the U.S. and Japan leading player spending. Google Play accounts for 58% of the game’s revenues, with the other 42% coming from the Apple App Store.

Niantic did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

More Gaming

  • 'Super Mario Maker 2' Coming to

    'Super Mario Maker 2' Coming to Nintendo Switch June 28

    “Super Mario Maker 2” is coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch on June 28, Nintendo announced on Wednesday. Described as a fully-fledged sequel to the original “Super Mario Maker” for the Wii U, “Super Mario Maker 2” will let users create their own courses using a new toolset of items. The sequel will also let you [...]

  • Xbox Sees Increase in Revenue Despite

    Xbox Sees Increase in Revenue Despite One-Third Drop in Hardware Sales

    Microsoft’s Xbox gaming revenue for the quarter ending on March 31, was $2.36 billion, up about 5% from the same period last year, driven by Xbox software and service growth of 12%, the company announced Wednesday. That jump in software and service — primarily due to third-party games and subscription growth — offset hardware sales [...]

  • 'Overwatch' Introduces Workshop Game Mode Editor

    'Overwatch' Introduces Workshop Game Mode Editor

    “Overwatch” introduced a new feature in the form of Workshop mode, which lets players create their own scripted game modes. Workshop allows “Overwatch” fans to create their own scripts with rules and unique play conditions on top of the previously-established “Overwatch” game modes already in the title. Rules can alter how heroes use their abilities [...]

  • Supercell Teams With Internet Matters to

    Supercell Teams With Internet Matters to Promote Child Safety Online

    Supercell is teaming up with nonprofit organization Internet Matters to help ensure children have a safe and happy experience while playing online, Internet Matters announced in a blog post on Wednesday. The two will give families new advice and resources to help their children navigate the gaming world safely. Those resources will be available in [...]

  • Wizards of the Coast Hires Game

    Wizards of the Coast Opens New Austin Studio

    Wizards of the Coast announced gaming industry veteran James Ohlen as the head of its new studio based in Austin, Texas. Ohlen, whose 23-year industry career includes credits on games like “Baldur’s Gate” and “Neverwinter Nights,” will open a new studio in the area and lead Wizards of the Coasts’s creative development of new IPs. [...]

  • Three Disciplines of Thinbloods in 'Bloodlines

    Three Disciplines of Thinbloods in 'Bloodlines 2' Detailed

    Players can choose from three Thinblood disciplines to start out as in “Bloodlines 2,” as revealed in a press release Wednesday from publisher Paradox Interactive. Last month, Paradox Interactive announced “Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2” is coming in 2020 at the Game Developers Conference. Now, we’ve got more details on the lore in the [...]

  • 'Days Gone' Gets Free DLC With

    'Days Gone' Gets Free DLC With 'Survival' Difficulty Mode in June

    Bend Studio’s “Days Gone” will be receiving free DLC this June, including a new difficulty mode and additional challenges. Taking to the official PlayStation Blog, Bend Studio detailed some of the content players can look for this summer with the free DLC. The Survival difficulty mode will be added as part of the new update, [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content