×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Pokémon Go’ Celebrates Two-Year Anniversary With $1.8 Billion Revenue Milestone

Pokémon Go” reached an impressive milestone on its second anniversary: hitting $1.8 billion in revenue in the two years since its original release on iOS and Android platforms, according to at least one analyst.

Analyst Sensor Tower reports that players around the world continue to spend a whopping $2 million each day, which can be attributed to the 650 million game downloads announced during March’s Game Developers Conference. Sensor Tower estimates that the United States and Japan have lead player spending, comprising 34 and 28 percent respectively of the game’s revenue across the App Store and Google Play.

The largest portion of “Pokémon Go’s” earnings come from the Google Play store with 58 percent attributed to those with Android devices, and the App Store making up the other 42 percent.

Developer Niantic’s massively popular augmented reality game blossomed into a household name soon after its official release. It allows players to capture Pokémon while exploring the real world, stumbling upon various monsters while playing as if they were walking around in the video games’ “tall grass,” where the monsters typically hide.

The title is free to download and play on both iOS and Android, but there are various options to purchase in-game currency that can be spend on Lure, Poké Balls, and other goodies that can help players capture additional monsters. Recently, Niantic added in the ability to trade Pokémon with friends and offer gifts to other trainers.

This isn’t the first sales milestone the game has reached. According to Newzoo, the mobile game earned an astonishing $470 million just 80 days following its launch. With several updates planned for future iterations of the game, as well as new Pokémon, Community Day events, and various other real-world gatherings for Trainers to meet up at, it looks like the only place for “Pokémon Go” to head in the coming days is up as it enjoys its return to the spotlight.

The game has still yet to be rolled out in China, which will no doubt help bolster its performance worldwide even further.

Popular on Variety

More Gaming

  • Apple Arcade

    Apple Officially Launches Apple Arcade Game Subscription Service

    Apple officially cut the ribbon for its new game subscription service Thursday: Priced $4.99 per month, Apple Arcade offers unlimited access to over 100 exclusive games. Apple Arcade was released alongside iOS 13, the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system. Some of the titles available through the subscription package include “Lego Brawls” from Lego [...]

  • Venn co-founders

    VENN Raises $17 Million to Launch a Cheddar-like TV Network for Gaming

    Video game industry veterans Ariel Horn and Ben Kusin have raised a massive $17 million seed funding round to launch a new gaming-focused TV network called VENN. Short for Video Game Entertainment and News Network, VENN wants to mix esports with Twitch-style video game streaming and other gaming-related entertainment content when it launches in 2020. [...]

  • JoJo Siwa'The Angry Birds Movie 2'

    Nickelodeon Star JoJo Siwa Gets Her Own Dance-Tour Mobile Game (EXCLUSIVE)

    Fans of JoJo Siwa will be able to join the teen influencer’s dance squad on stage — virtually — in a new mobile game. In “JoJo Siwa — Live to Dance,” players will become part of the Nickelodon and YouTube star’s worldwide tour on her professional dance team and experience what it’s like to be [...]

  • Game Awards OrchestraThe Game Awards, Show,

    The Game Awards 2019 Sets December Date, Will Live-Stream Across 45 Platforms

    The Game Awards 2019, the fifth annual video game industry kudosfest, will be held Dec. 12 in Los Angeles and will be live-streamed for free again on more than 45 different platforms worldwide. The Game Awards is an annual celebration of video games and the people who make them, created and executive produced by Geoff [...]

  • HTC Vive Cosmos

    HTC Replaces HTC Vive With New $699 Vive Comos VR Headset

    HTC is getting ready to retire the headset that was central to its expansion into the virtual reality market 3 years ago: The company announced on Thursday that its new Vive Comos headset will effectively replace the original HTC Vive, which was first released in April of 2016. “It was time to upgrade our consumer [...]

  • Sohu logo

    China's Sohu Seeks Games Consolidation With $500 Million Bid for Changyou

    Sohu, one of China’s Internet pioneers, is offering to buy out its games subsidiary Changyou in a deal that values Changyou at $532 million. Both companies currently have their shares listed on NASDAQ, but if the deal goes ahead Changyou would lose its separate stock listing. Sohu, which has interests covering search, digital advertising and [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content