×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Constantin Sets September Shoot for Paul W.S. Anderson’s ‘Monster Hunter’(EXCLUSIVE)

Constantin Film’s “Monster Hunter,” the video game adaptation budgeted at around $60 million, will go into production starting in September, re-teaming Constantin with its “Resident Evil” star Milla Jovovich, director Paul W. S. Anderson and producer Jeremy Bolt.

Meanwhile, Constantin is still working on a “Resident Evil” reboot, the shingle’s topper Martin Moszkowicz said at Cannes.

Like “Resident Evil: the Final Chapter,” which grossed $312 million worldwide, “Monster Hunter” will shoot in South Africa, in and around Cape Town.

“The crews are great there and, at least for a European company, it’s easy to get there: Same time zone, overnight flights. We are very much in a comfort zone of production,” said Moszkowicz.

Foreign distributors should not get too excited, however. Written by Anderson, who recently delivered a new screenplay draft, “Monster Hunter” will not come onto the open market, being the subject of a worldwide studio deal, according to Moszkowicz.

Two territories carved out of that deal will be Germany and Switzerland, where Constantin, Germany’s biggest independent production-distribution company, will release the movie itself.

Constantin will partner on “Monster Hunter” with “a big company” in Japan and another in China, both of whom will take equity in the project. These deals are “in the last stages of negotiation,” Moszkowicz added.

Beyond that, Constantin will finance “Monster Hunter” itself.

Special effects will be supplied by Toronto’s Technicolor-owned Mr. X, which worked on the “Resident Evil” franchise. Mr. X’s CEO Dennis Berardi will take a producer credit on the movie, which Moszkowicz said will be a highly stylish big screen adaptation of the video game.

“Paul has proven over and over he does stylish movies. It’s one of his big strong points. He can make a movie look good, is very much into visuals,” he added.

“Monster Hunter” is based, like “Resident Evil,” on a Capcom property. On Wednesday the Japanese developer and game publisher announced that “Monster Hunter: World” is its best-selling game of all time, shipping 7.9 million copies since its late January release.

“Monster Hunter” is envisioned as a film series: “We are in the business of brand creation,” Moszkowicz said.

Regarding a “Resident Evil” reboot, Constantin is “still working on it creatively,” Moszkowicz said, adding that one option could be a TV series. ”For us, the main thing is to get it right creatively so people don’t think it’s more of the same. That’s what it’s all about these days, a fresh, different approach.”

One thing looks certain: Anderson will not return to direct.

“He did six movies, earning $1.2 billion, 10 years of work; he felt it was time to move on,” said Moszkowicz.

More Gaming

  • Tencent Wants to Bring 'Apex Legends'

    Tencent Wants to Bring 'Apex Legends' to China (Report)

    Tencent Holdings is in talks with Electronic Arts to distribute the publishers’ “Apex Legends” in China as of Friday, according to a “person with direct knowledge of the matter” the South China Morning Post reported. Tencent, video game industry giant, already distributes top battle royale games “Fortnite” and “PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds” in China. While Tencent is [...]

  • Pokemon Go

    Proposed 'Pokémon Go' Lawsuit Settlement May Remove Poké Stops, Gyms

    A proposed settlement in the class action lawsuit against “Pokémon Go” developer Niantic could remove or change a number of Poké Stops and Gyms in the popular augmented reality game. The proposed settlement was filed in a California court on Thursday and applies to anyone in the U.S. who owns or leases property within 100 meters [...]

  • 'Minecraft' Mobile Just Had Its Best

    'Minecraft' Mobile Just Had Its Best Year Yet

    Last year was the most profitable year to date for the mobile versions of “Minecraft,” according to a report from Sensor Tower. “Minecraft” on the App Store and on the Google Play store pulled in $110 million through both purchase price of the app as well as in-app purchases. This is a 7% growth from [...]

  • 'Bayonetta 2' Director Leaves Platinum Games

    'Bayonetta 2' Director Leaves Platinum Games After 13 Years

    “Bayonetta 2” game director and “Bayonetta” producer Yusuke Hashimoto is leaving Platinum Games after 13 years, he announced in a tweet on Thursday. “This tweet will be a little more personal than usual. Yesterday, January 31st, was my last day at PlatinumGames,” he said. “The memories I made during my 13 years at Platinum, working [...]

  • AFV

    'Fresh Prince' Actor Denied Dance Copyright in 'Fortnite,' 'NBA 2K16' Lawsuits

    “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” star Alfonso Ribeiro has been denied a copyright for the “Carlton” dance, which is the focus of lawsuits the actor recently filed against “Fortnite” developer Epic Games and “NBA 2K16” publisher Take-Two Interactive, The Associated Press reported on Thursday. The denial from the U.S. Copyright Office was revealed on Wednesday [...]

  • Wu-Tang ClanWu-Tang Clan in concert, Brooklyn

    The Secret History of Wu-Tang Clan's Bizarre Hip-Hop Fighting Game

    The history of video games is littered with great ideas that were canceled before their time, drained of resources and put out to pasture because of budget or production woes. That said, there are vanishingly few games that made it all the way through the trials and tribulations of a multi-year development cycle only to [...]

  • Layoffs Hitting Next Games in Switch

    Layoffs Hit 'Walking Dead' Dev Next Games as Part of Reorganization

    Next Games announced Friday that it will implement a “new organizational structure” which will result in about two dozen layoffs, according to a press release. Next Games, the developer behind mobile games “The Walking Dead: Our World” and “The Walking Dead: No Man’s Land,” held consultation proceedings last month in order to review costs and [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content