Fox Networks Group Asia is to expand its production of original series and feature films. It will Monday announce plans to co-produce six Chinese language-films in co-operation with Singapore mini-conglomerate mm2 Entertainment.
The channels group will have the exclusive pay-TV broadcast and digital rights in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Southeast Asia, North America, Australia to New Zealand. It expects to broadcast the films on its premium Chinese movie channel Star Chinese Movies, and on its streaming platform FOX+.
The slate spans a range of genres and are to be directed by up and coming talents from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. Directors include Taiwan’s Gavin Lin and Malaysia’s Ryon Lee (“Show Me Your Love”).
“Last year we produced two original miniseries ‘The Trading Floor’ and ‘Stained’, both of which audiences will soon be able to watch on SCM and FOX+ later this year. This year we will be offering Chinese audiences more choice of entertainment,” said Cora Yim, SVP and head of Chinese entertainment and original production at FNG Asia.
“Nurturing and developing new talents has been an integral part of our content business and will continue to be one of our key missions,” said Chang Long Jong, CEO of fast-growing mm2 Asia. “Our own growth story serves to inspire us to groom and support our industry talents.”
The titles include:
- “More Than Blue,” an adaptation of a Korean original, to be directed by Gavin Lin and star Taiwanese TV talents Jasper Liu and Ivy Chen;
- “Girls, Be Ambitious!,” about two former adult film stars forced to engage in erotic boxing, to be directed by Tommy Yu;
- “1 Sec Champ, a mashup of boxing, action and fantasy, to be directed by Hong Kong’s Hang Chiu (“Vampire Cleanup Department”);
- Horror movie “Walk with Me,” to be directed by Ryon Lee, and star Michelle Wai and Anna Ng;
- “Guang,” a drama about autism, adapted and directed by Quek Shio Chuan from Quek’s previous short film;
- “Zombiepura,” a zombie movie made in Singapore by Jacen Tan.