×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Bollywood’s Expanding #MeToo Movement Hits Productions

The #MeToo movement arrived late in India. But it is a juggernaut that is here to stay, and is having a measurable effect on production.

Aamir Khan Productions is to withdraw from a film where one of the filmmakers is accused of harassment in a 2014 case that is currently sub-judice. “This is an opportunity for the film industry to introspect and take concrete steps towards change,” actor/producer Aamir Khan and producer Kiran Rao tweeted in a joint statement. “For far too long women have borne the brunt of sexual exploitation. It has to stop.”

The movement kicked off with actress Tanushree Dutta accusing veteran actor Nana Patekar of harassment on the sets of “Horn ‘OK’ Pleasss” in 2008, an allegation she made then and again last week. This was followed by harassment allegations against Phantom Films founding partner Vikas Bahl by an employee. That led to the dissolution of the company. Popular actor Hrithik Roshan who stars in Bahl’s “Super 30” has asked the producers to take stock of the facts. The fate of the second season of Netflix show “Sacred Games”, produced by Phantom, remains unclear.

Allegations also emerged against employees of comedy outfit AIB. In response, CEO Tanmay Bhat stepped down from his role and the Mumbai film festival cancelled its selection of the company’s “Chintu Ka Birthday.” The Hotstar streaming service then cancelled the third season of web show “On Air with AIB”.

Allegations were also levelled against actor/director Rajat Kapoor, and his “Kadakh” was also dropped from the Mumbai line-up. Kapoor apologized on Twitter.

Accusations have been emerging thick and fast on social media. Filmmaker, Vinta Nanda and actors Sandhya Mridul and Deepika Amin pointed out alleged infractions by senior actor Alok Nath.

The South Indian industries have also begun speaking up. Several women have spoken up against renowned lyricist Vairamuthu, who has denied all accusations, and a singer accused fellow singer and composer Raghu Dixit, who has publicly apologised. Casting director Tess Joseph called out actor Mukesh Kumar for harassment on the set of game show “Koteeswaran,” 19 years ago. Kumar says he has no recollection of the incident or of Joseph.

The Producers Guild of India says it is establishing a special committee led by Sneha Rajani to address the issue of sexual harassment.

More Film

  • Crown Vic

    Thomas Jane's Police Thriller 'Crown Vic' Sells to Screen Media (EXCLUSIVE)

    Screen Media has bought North American rights to writer-director Joel Souza’s police crime-thriller “Crown Vic,” starring Thomas Jane and Luke Kleintank. The distributor closed terms during the Cannes Film Festival amid a competitive bidding situation between seven other suitors. Screen Media plans to release the pic this fall. “Crown Vic” premiered in April at the [...]

  • Colleen Bell

    Colleen Bell Replaces Amy Lemisch as California Film Commission Director

    Veteran entertainment executive and ambassador Colleen Bell will replace Amy Lemisch as director of the California Film Commission. Bell, who was appointed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday, has worked as a consultant since 2017. She was the U.S. ambassador to Hungary from 2014 to 2017. She held several positions at Bell-Phillip Television Productions, including [...]

  • Jon Feltheimer

    Lionsgate Posts Loss, Underperforms Wall Street Expectations

    Lionsgate has posted a quarterly loss and its revenues and operating income have come in under Wall Street projections, despite growth from its premium cable channel, Starz. The studio reported a net loss of $24 million, or 11 cents a share, with adjusted operating income of $103 million for its fourth fiscal quarter ended March [...]

  • Cannes: China's 'Summer of Changsha' Debuts

    Cannes: China's 'Summer of Changsha' Debuts Without Censorship Approval

    Chinese crime drama “Summer of Changsha” screened at the Cannes Film Festival in the Un Certain Regard section despite lacking the necessary approvals from China’s censors. It premiered without its director or creative team in attendance, who blamed “technical reasons” for their absence — marking the third time that Chinese censorship appears to have caused [...]

  • Jane Austin SAG AFTRA

    SAG-AFTRA Secretary-Treasurer Jane Austin Running for President

    Jane Austin, the National Secretary-Treasurer of SAG-AFTRA, has become the third candidate for the presidency of the performers union, joining incumbent Gabrielle Carteris and Matthew Modine. Austin is running as an independent for the top post at SAG-AFTRA, which has 160,000 members. Carteris will seek re-election as the head of the ticket for the Unite [...]

  • John Wick Chapter 3

    'John Wick: Chapter 3' Tones Down the Blood and Gore to Keep Look 'Totally Real'

    When Jeff Campbell, a visual effects supervisor with VFX studio Spin, initially set to work on the first “John Wick,” the 2014 action thriller from director Chad Stahelski and writer Derek Kolstad, he started with an industry-standard test: Establish a single, simple kill effect meant to get a sense of the look of the violence [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content