×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Logan Paul Scripted Series Scrapped by Blackpills After YouTube Video Controversy

Logan Paul’s original series for French digital-media company Blackpills has been permanently mothballed.

The decision by Blackpills to cut ties with Paul comes after the popular YouTuber posted a video during his trip to Japan on Dec. 31 that included footage of a person who had apparently died from a suicide — and Paul joking about it. After a widespread backlash, Paul deleted the video and apologized. That didn’t stem the tide of criticism and on Wednesday YouTube suspended its business deals with Paul.

Under the Blackpills deal, Paul had been tapped to create, write and star in a short-form original series for the mobile-focused service.

Logan Paul’s previously announced project with Blackpills is no longer in development and Blackpills will not be pursuing it at any time in the future,” the company said in a statement to Variety.

A rep for Logan Paul did not respond to a request for comment.

Paul is represented by CAA and remains a client, a rep confirmed. He’s also affiliated with Studio71, which did not respond to requests for comment about its deal with the 22-year-old influencer.

Paul’s series with Blackpills had been slated to launch in early 2018 exclusively on the Blackpills app. It was being executive produced by Paolo Moreno of Cupertino Productions; no title, cast or other details of the project had been released. The pact between Logan Paul and Blackpills was originally reached in late 2016.

Paris-based Blackpills has been trying to boost its profile since launching its app in the U.S. last spring, hoping to attract an audience with edgy content delving into themes including sexual health, violence, digital privacy, and racial diversity. The company has ordered shows from partners including Zoe Cassavetes, James Franco, Bryan Singer, Christian Delgrosso, Denise Richards and Anonymous Content.

On Wednesday, YouTube said it was removing the digital influencer’s channel from its Google Preferred premium advertising program. In addition, the video platform said he would not be featured in season 4 of YouTube Red original comedy “Foursome,” and that his other originals were on hold.

Meanwhile, Studio71 has produced two seasons of “Logan Paul Vs,” a reality series in which he engages in challenges (like training with Hollywood stuntmen), for Comcast’s Watchable digital-video service. The series also launched last fall on Facebook’s Watch platform. He also made an appearance on Bravo’s “Top Chef.”

Paul, who originally rose to internet fame on Twitter’s now-defunct Vine, currently has about 15.7 million subscribers for his YouTube channel, 16.6 million followers on Facebook, 16.2 million on Instagram, and 4.1 million on Twitter.

In apologizing for his video showing the dead body in Japan’s Aokigahara forest (known as the “Suicide Forest”), Paul said “I’ve made a severe and continuous lapse in my judgment and I don’t expect to be forgiven. I’m simply here to apologize.” He also said his reactions to the dead body were “raw and unfiltered,” and that he regretted recording and posting the video.

On Jan. 3, Paul tweeted that he was taking a hiatus from posting content on YouTube.

More Digital

  • Amazon Prime

    Amazon Prime India Greenlights ‘Bandits’ Music Series

    Amazon Prime Video India has greenlit original series “Bandish Bandits.” The show is a musical created by Still and Still Media Collective. The series will follow an Indian classical musician bound by tradition and a pop star whose performance skills are greater than her talent. A bandish is a term used to describe a musical [...]

  • Alibaba Buys 8% Stake in Chinese

    Alibaba Buys 8% Stake in Chinese Video Platform Bilibili

    Alibaba has purchased an 8% stake in the Chinese online video platform Bilibili, the official Xinhua news agency reported. Bilibili is one of China’s top video streaming and entertainment platforms, with about 92 million monthly active users and 450 million page-views per day. Founded in 2009, it was listed on the NASDAQ last March. Alibaba’s [...]

  • Clevver-Logo

    Hearst Magazines Buys Clevver's Pop-Culture YouTube Channels After Defy's Demise

    Hearst Magazines has snapped up Clevver, a network of female-skewing lifestyle and pop-culture news YouTube channels that had been owned by now-defunct Defy Media. Clevver was left homeless after Defy’s sudden shutdown in November; its principals said at the time they were looking for a new home. Hearst Magazines sees a digital fit with Clevver’s [...]

  • "Brother" -- Episode 201-- Pictured (l-r):

    CBS Interactive's Marc DeBevoise on Streaming Boom, Content Strategy, and Apple

    Not everyone wants or needs to be Netflix to succeed in the streaming space. And not everyone sees Apple’s enigmatic new service as a threat. Even as rival streaming services offer gobs of content, CBS Interactive’s president and COO Marc DeBevoise sees the company’s targeted original programming strategy continuing to attract viewers to its All [...]

  • Rhett-Link-Good-Mythical-Morning

    Rhett & Link's Mythical Entertainment in Talks to Acquire Smosh (EXCLUSIVE)

    Smosh, the YouTube comedy brand left stranded after parent company Defy Media went belly-up, may be about to get a new business partner. Mythical Entertainment, the entertainment company founded by top YouTube comedy duo Rhett & Link, has been in talks about acquiring the Smosh brand, sources told Variety. Multiple potential buyers came forward to [...]

  • Pokemon Go

    Proposed 'Pokémon Go' Lawsuit Settlement May Remove Poké Stops, Gyms

    A proposed settlement in the class action lawsuit against “Pokémon Go” developer Niantic could remove or change a number of Poké Stops and Gyms in the popular augmented reality game. The proposed settlement was filed in a California court on Thursday and applies to anyone in the U.S. who owns or leases property within 100 meters [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content