×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Viacom CEO Bob Bakish Bows Out of Saudi Conference Amid Media Exodus

Viacom CEO Bob Bakish has canceled plans to appear at a Saudi investment conference, joining an exodus of media organizations from the event following the disappearance of dissident columnist Jamal Khashoggi.

Bakish was scheduled to appear on a panel at the Future Investment Initiative, which will be held Oct. 23-25 in Riyadh. The panel, on globalization and technology in the entertainment business, would have been moderated by New York Times columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin. However, Sorkin said on Twitter on Thursday that he was “terribly distressed” at Khashoggi’s disappearance, and that he would withdraw from the conference.

The New York Times was also slated to be a “media partner” of the event, which is hosted by the Saudi Public Investment Fund. The Times announced on Wednesday that it would withdraw from the event. Mellody Hobson, the president of Ariel Investments and a former chairman of Dreamworks Animation, resigned on Thursday from the conference advisory board.

Patrick Soon-Shiong, the owner of the Los Angeles Times, also said on Thursday that he would not attend the conference.

Still going, as of now, is Robert Simonds, the CEO of STX Entertainment. Simonds was initially scheduled to appear on the same panel with Bakish and Sorkin. Bloomberg, CNN, the Financial Times, and Fox Business Network are also media partners of the event. Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo is still scheduled to appear.

Khashoggi has not been seen since entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2. Turkish authorities have told reporters that Khashoggi was murdered in the consulate by a state-sponsored hit squad.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is also scheduled to appear at the conference alongside Thomas Barrack, the executive chairman of Colony Capital.

More Biz

  • Pamela Anderson

    Pamela Anderson Fears Julian Assange 'Won't Survive' Extradition to U.S.

    After previously speaking out in support of her friend and WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, Pamela Anderson doesn’t think he would survive an extradition from the U.K. to the U.S. “I hope he gets out of there, but I don’t think he’ll survive extradition. It can’t happen. It’s not even an option. We can’t have him [...]

  • Jane Austin SAG AFTRA

    SAG-AFTRA Secretary-Treasurer Jane Austin Running for President

    Jane Austin, the National Secretary-Treasurer of SAG-AFTRA, has become the third candidate for the presidency of the performers union, joining incumbent Gabrielle Carteris and Matthew Modine. Austin is running as an independent for the top post at SAG-AFTRA, which has 160,000 members. Carteris will seek re-election as the head of the ticket for the Unite [...]

  • Endeavor

    Endeavor Group Holdings Files for Initial Public Offering

    Endeavor Group Holdings, the parent company of talent agency WME, has filed to go public in a development that has long been expected. The company, which filed a Form S-1 with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday, plans to list on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “EDR.” The number of shares [...]

  • Lisbeth R Barron Investment Banker

    Investment Banker Lisbeth R. Barron on How She Became a Broadway Deal Specialist

    If you want to get a deal done on Broadway, call Lisbeth R. Barron. Barron is a veteran investment banker who launched her own shingle, Barron Intl. Group, in 2015. She has brokered a slew of deals throughout her career — which has included stops at S.G. Warburg and Bear Stearns — involving companies and [...]

  • The Prom Broadway

    'The Prom': How the Little Show That Could Found Its Way to the Tonys Dance

    Does a Broadway musical still count as an underdog if it’s got über-producer Ryan Murphy in its corner? It does if it’s “The Prom,” the labor of love from a team of Broadway veterans that’s carving out a place for itself as an original story on a street full of familiar titles and well-known brands. [...]

  • Mario Batali

    Mario Batali Charged With Assault and Battery in 2017 Groping Allegation

    On Friday, Mario Batali will be arraigned in a Boston courthouse regarding an indecent assault and battery charge after a woman accused the restaurateur of groping and kissing her in 2017, according to the New York Times. Several women have also accused Batali of sexual harassment. Batali has continuously denied the claims of sexual assault. [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content