Watch First Trailer for CBS All Access’ ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

Pictured (l-r): Michelle Yeoh as Captain
Dalia Naber

In anticipation of the long-awaited debut of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery,” CBS unveiled the first trailer for the upcoming series during Wednesday’s Upfront presentation in New York City.

The trailer comes just one day after the first photos from the streaming series came out (see above) with stars Sonequa Martin-Green and Michelle Yeoh in character. In the new trailer, we get our first look at Martin-Green as the first officer of The Discovery, who appears to be a human raised by Vulcans, as evidenced by conversations she has with Sarek (James Frain). The Discovery then comes across an unknown object at the edge of Federation space, leading to a conflict with the Klingons. In addition, the network revealed that Season 1 of the series will consist of 15 episodes instead of 13, with an after-show called “Talking Trek.”

Releasing the first “Star Trek” trailer during CBS’s Upfront is a move to woo advertisers with a fan-favorite, iconic property, like ABC did with their announcement of “American Idol” during their Tuesday presentation and like NBC did by bringing out the original cast of “Will & Grace” for a surprise appearance.

In true “Star Trek” form, much of the “Discovery” plot and other details have been kept under wraps until now.

The series will star “The Walking Dead” alum Martin-Green, who plays the lead lieutenant commander; Frain as Spock’s father Sarek; Anthony Rapp as a space fungus expert; Michelle Yeoh as the captain in charge of the Starship Shenzhou; Jason Isaacs as the captain of the Discovery; Terry Serpico as Admiral Anderson, a high-ranking official of Starfleet; Maulik Pancholy as Dr. Nambue, the chief medical officer of the Starship Shenzhou; Sam Vartholomeos as Ensign Connor, a junior officer in Starfleet Academy assigned to the Starship Shenzhou; and “The Office” alum Rainn Wilson in the role of Harry Mudd; plus Shazad Latif, Rekha Sharma, Kenneth Mitchell, Clare McConnell and Damon Runyan.

Star Trek: Discovery” has been repeatedly delayed, due to behind-the-scenes shuffling. The show was first set to launch this past January, but was held back thanks to production delays and the departure of showrunner Bryan Fuller, who is still on board as an executive producer.

The show is now set to debut this fall.

1. Zoe says:

So at the time that NCC-1701 has been exploring the stars for a decade already (because Kirk became its captain when the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 was 20 years old in the original Trek universe, which we are told is Discovery’s universe also), there is a Federation ship that looks like the one in this trailer? Even though in TOS all Federation ships shared a similar aesthetic? This thing looks like it came from the TNG era. Makes no sense. The Klingon thing brings little suspense, since Day of the Dove informed us that there was no war between the Federation and Klingons until more than a decade after Discovery. Are they going to ignore canon? And Trials and Tribulations dealt with the forehead ridge issue. It is baked into canon that Klingons did not have forehead ridges at this time. Discovery is violating continuity left and right, a sure sign that the plan is not to honor or respect Star Trek, but merely to exploit it. I absolutely hate the look of this; I had so been looking forward to a higher budget version of the TOS ship aesthetic outside (no Aztec pattern) and inside (bright colors and all).

2. Emma Morrow says:

Good grief. A politically correct cast featuring a token Black Woman. Let’s just insult 95% of the Star Trek fanbase.

They learned NOTHING from Lady Ghostbusters.

GUARANTEED TO FAIL.

• Zoe says:

What does that even mean? 14% of the world is white men. Thus far in Star Trek they have been over-represented. Earth – not the USA – is a member of the Federation of Planets, in the future, not in 1940.

• nerdrage says:

Star Trek is for SJW snowflakes and always has been. That’s baked into its DNA. You are barking at the wrong franchise.

This series is going to be a big hit. For starters, it’s on Netflix in most of the world. Star Trek + Netflix = as sure a hit as I can envision.

CBS is hanging onto it for their own streaming services due to their fantasy of becoming a Netflix competitor. It will take a while for them to shake this fantasy loose. They will hang in there for a while and then give up and license it to Netflix everywhere.

But whatever happens, Star Trek has a long and profitable future ahead of it on streaming.

3. Set phasers to canceled within a year.

4. Andrew W says:

In case it matters to anyone, the ship you see in this isn’t the discovery at all, so those who are complaining about Yeoh’s acting, shouldn’t have to worry. This is on the Shenzhou, as Jason Isaacs is the Capt on the Discovery. It’s funny, because it’s mentioned lower down in the article, but they clearly didn’t put 2+2 together.

Imagine they’ll have an explanation of the differences in how the Klingon’s look, but seeing as we already saw a different version in the movies, this shouldn’t come as a shock. Still going to check it out.

• nerdrage says:

Yeoh is listed as a main character, which makes her wooden acting worrisome. Hopefully she won’t be on screen too much. Or someone can give her acting lessons?

I miss the Klingons and their curly locks but eh, just gimmee a good explanation and I’ll cope.

5. Vendicar Decarian says:

I don’t wish to crap on someone’s creative effort here, but with a show like Trek, there is a context to be respected.

It looks to me like virtually none will be respected by this vision, if the klingon’s are any evidence of it.

They should ax this show now, and bring on the Axinar people and pay them to produce a viable series.

This version of Trek won’t last a season.

6. loco73 says:

Holly crap?! What the hell is wrong with the Klingons?! They look weird! Did someone inject them with steroids?! Are they addicted to bath salts?!

Oh and the show’s shortened title version is quite unfortunate…STD…ouch…

7. Frank Griffin says:

I’m greatly disappointed. I wanted a sequel, to go even further into the future, not the past of the future. I’m also very put off by the Socialist-liberal-feminist push. If this is our nearest Star Trek Future, then I have an all new respect for Kirk, for apparently overcoming this “Nasty woman” victory….crap. I probably won’t be watching this one. The writers better find a way to get out of this super lib time frame and get back to the beyond and beyond the beyond…which is where the real Star Trek lives, somewhere….out there.

8. Michael Markall • 2 minutes ago
    I have been reading the comments about “diversity” and how Star Trek has always promoted that, which is an undeniable fact. However, as a fan of the show from TOS, I am inclined to be more thoughtful to cannon.
    In episode 79 entitled “Turnabout Intruder”, Capt. Kirk was “body snatched” by Janis Lester, who’s aim was to be a starship captain. In her own words starship command was a “men’s only club” or their about. This episode demonstrates that at the time of Kirk and Spock, no woman was given command of a star ship.
    I realize that the show was from the 60’s, but this is the original cannon that all other incarnations of the show must follow. Therefore, I agree that a prequel that so contradicts TOS is a thumbs down for me.

• nerdrage says:

Janice Lester was just nuts. Enterprise depicted female captains from long before Kirk’s era. People who can’t deal with Star Trek’s inherent liberalism – which was present from the first – should find something else to watch. Broadcast TV has a lot of rah rah military shows this fall. There ya go.

• Yes it’s obvious that between the beginning of this series and TOS, there will be a massive ethnic-cleansing of nonwhites from the Federation. ;)

9. Bob says:

The left wing anti Republican scripts start in 3….2….1….

10. Bob says:

Token crap.

11. Bob says:

100% total garbage. A woman, minority, gay libfest.

12. racingphan says:

May son gets this stuff free for me somewhere. So I can’t wait!

13. Yay! There’s some diversity casting! Cannot wait!

• Bob says:

Oh yes, put the whitey on the back of the bus.

• Vendicar Decarian says:

“whitey on the back of the bus.” = Bob the Racist

Awwwww.. You poor snowflake. The big bad women is gonna get a captaincy in a tv show.

We feel your pain, pathetic loooooooooooooser.

14. Lusanda Beauchamp says:

Yaay Sasha. I’m only watchig this because I’ll miss her on The Walking Dead.

15. I guess they want a different audience.

16. nerdrage says:

I’m in. But Michelle Yeoh is terrible in this – way too wooden. Can they kill her off early on? I like Sonequa. Cute hairdo and all. Were there supposed to be Klingons in there somewhere? I guess that Augment virus did something nasty to the ones in this timeline, huh? But it looks nice and shiny, like Star Trek should. I’ll give CBS twelve bucks whenever all the episodes are up and then bail for a year.

17. Skip says:

Affirmative-Action/Benetton color-casting.

And the featured tokens suck at acting.

Skip.

18. Royale says:

Looks like a geat film for non Star Tek purists like me.

• nerdrage says:

Yeah what do they expect, miniskirts and day-glo lighting? This isn’t the swinging 60s kids. Although I guess a beehive hairdo or two wouldn’t be out of line…

• Zoe says:

Actually, I do expect mini skirts and similar lighting. If they don’t like the TOS timeframe then they should set the show in a different time period or in the JJ Abrams Trek universe.

• Vendicar Decarian says:

Republicans would still be living in the 1800’s if they could swing it.

They yearn for the Plague, boils and premature death due to lack of adequate health care.

19. Chris Christie's Belt says:

Lots of greenscreen.

20. Sam says:

If this is taking place 10 years before Kirk, in the prime universe mind you, then they already screwed up known “Canon” history. The uniforms are wrong and the Klingon’s had smooth foreheads. It was explained in Enterprise FFS. I’ve been a loyal fan of Star Trek since I was a kid. CBS, you have officially broken my heart. (Throws hands up) I give up. I would never pay to see such crap. Star Wars, you’re gonna be my new love.

21. JoeMcG says:

I’m a total ST fan… all the series (except Enterprise… just couldn’t get into the storyline), all the films, even the JJ Reboot. But I just don’t get this… and there’s no way I’m going to pay extra for it. DirecTV, Netflix, and Amazon already get too much from me as it is. And when are they finally going to put the Viacom family back together again?! This separation between Paramount and CBS is only hurting the ST community and ST fandom (not to mention their new rules for fan films… a complete joke on those who kept ST alive all these years… talk about stifling creativity!). If this is what they’re doing to Star Trek I think I’m done…

22. Troll says:

Failed to load plugin

Show about future has article using ancient tech… (Html5 guys, catch up)

23. Mark Z says:

It will last 2 maybe 3 seasons. If that was supposed to be PRE Kirk, why do they have better equipment than Kirk? FAIL

24. T0rchwood says:

This will be quite popular on the torrent sites, as no one is going to subscribe to a paid access channel for one series. Yes, they also offer the other ST series, but any true fan has already been buying them since VHS. The rest of CBS is unwatchable crap, as is most network programming.

25. Fernando says:

Oh god oh god oh god. No no no no!

J.J. where are you? They’re ruining it!

• T0rchwood says:

This is separate from the JJ “Kelvin” universe, as Paramount has the movie rights, and CBS has the TV rights, and the reason they had to wait until January to release STD is because they had to wait until 6 months after ST:Beyond.

• Fernando says:

I know, but that’s not my point. I would like to see actual talent shape the new series.