The hunt is on for a new chief of one of Europe’s biggest media companies after Thomas Ebeling, the boss of Germany’s ProSiebenSat.1, said he will leave the company on Feb. 22, 2018. Ebeling had previously indicated his intention to move on and has now fixed his exit for directly after the company’s February press conference on its FY2017 results.
The departing chief’s contract ran until mid-2019, but he told German press late last year that he did not want to renew his deal. Ebeling, who joined ProSiebenSat.1 in 2009, has worked across the media industry and also in other sectors such as pharmaceuticals and food and drink.
While the search for a successor proceeds, executive board member Conrad Albert has been named deputy chairman and will take over from Ebeling if a successor is not in place when he departs.
ProSiebenSat.1 has been on a diversification drive, broadening out beyond TV and attempting to reduce its exposure to the volatile TV ad market. It now generates more than half of its revenue from non-traditional activities. Ebeling’s announced departure has fueled speculation that ProSiebenSat.1 could itself become an acquisition target.
“I am convinced that ProSiebenSat.1 will add further positive chapters to its success story with the measures taken,” Ebeling said. “With its strong TV business, access to data and technology and the dynamically growing commerce business, ProSiebenSat.1 has all the prerequisites to proceed in a successful manner going forward. Already today, I wish the company, the management team and its passionate and dedicated employees all the best and continued success in this way.”
Werner Brandt, chairman of the supervisory board of ProSiebenSat.1, said: “Our search for a successor focuses on a personality that continues the outstanding work of Thomas Ebeling and continues to drive diversification and digital transformation with equally entrepreneurial vision and assertiveness.”