×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Mario Batali Officially Fired From ‘The Chew’ Amid Sexual Harassment Scandal, ‘Molto Mario’ Revival Also Scrapped

UPDATED: Mario Batali has been fired from “The Chew.”

The ABC daytime cooking show has officially parted ways with Batali, following multiple accusations of sexual misconduct against the celebrity chef. Food Network has also nixed plans to produce new episodes of the show that made him a TV star, “Molto Mario.”

Earlier this week, Batali was asked to step away from “The Chew,” while ABC reviewed allegations of groping and inappropriate behavior stretching back at least two decades, which was published by the website Eater.

“Upon completing its review into the allegations made against Mario Batali, ABC has terminated its relationship with him and he will no longer appear on ‘The Chew,'” an ABC spokesperson said in a statement, provided to Variety on Friday. “While we remain unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with our show, ABC takes matters like this very seriously as we are committed to a safe work environment and his past behavior violates our standards of conduct.”

There’s no word yet on whether ABC will replace Batali with a new host.

Without Batali, “The Chew,” at present, is currently hosted by Carla Hall, Clinton Kelly, and Michael Symon, who have been on the show alongside Batali since its launch in 2011, along with Daphne Oz, who departed on her own terms ahead of the current seventh season. Since the allegations against Batali were published on Monday, Hall, Kelly, and Symon have been filming as a trio.

Since the allegations surfaced, ABC has taken swift action to rid Batali’s presence from the network with photos of chef already removed from “The Chew’s” social media pages and ABC’s press site.

Batali, one of the most prominent celebrity chefs of all time, has also been forced to step down from his restaurant management company, Batali and Bastianich Hospitality Group, which he ran with fellow TV chef, Joe Bastianich. Food Network has also put on hold plans to relaunch the cooking show that made Batali a star, “Molto Mario,” after just inking a deal last month to revive the series.

In a statement provided to Eater earlier this week, Batali did not deny the allegations of sexual misconduct made against him. “That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses,” he said. “I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation, or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends, and family.”

Batali issued a further apology for his past actions via a newsletter Friday, writing, “I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team. My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.”

He stated that he would “work every day” to regain the trust and respect of his fans, without which he “would never have a forum in which to expound” on the “joys of Italian food, tradition and hospitality.”

Bizarrely, Batali included a postscript that reads “in case you’re searching for a holiday-inspired breakfast, these Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls are a fan favorite,” and a link to the recipe.

More TV

  • MMA Alters Faces of Asia Sports

    MMA Alters Faces of Asian Sports Broadcasting

    Bruce Lee was ahead of the curve by about four decades when he predicted back in the early 1970s that combat sports would one day take the world by storm. Hong Kong’s favorite son had encouraged his own students to mix up the styles of martial arts they were being trained in — to combine kung fu [...]

  • Variety Kit Harington Game of Thrones

    Kit Harington on How 'Game of Thrones' Mirrors Real-World Politics

    In Variety‘s March 19 cover story, Kit Harington opens up about the final season of “Game of Thrones” and growing into adulthood as part of the biggest show on television. In a conversation in London in December, Harington opened up about the similarities between the series’ politics and our own. “I think it’s always been about [...]

  • Chris O'Dowd

    TV News Roundup: Chris O'Dowd to Star in 'Twilight Zone' Episode

    In today’s roundup, The CW has released two clips from the upcoming “Riverdale” special “Heathers: The Musical,” and Chris O’Dowd will star in an episode of “The Twilight Zone.”  CASTING Chris O’Dowd will star in CBS All Access’ rebooted “The Twilight Zone” episode titled “The Blue Scorpion.” The series will premiere with two episodes on [...]

  • Kevin Tsujihara

    Kevin Tsujihara's Ouster Kicks Off a Week of Major Disruption in the Media Business

    The sudden ouster of Warner Bros. Entertainment chief Kevin Tsujihara kicked off what is likely to go down as one of the most extraordinary weeks in Hollywood history, spelling enormous turmoil and transition across the media landscape. In addition to the news about Tsujihara, which comes amid a wider shake-up of leadership at AT&T’s WarnerMedia, [...]

  • Wendy Williams Sober Living House

    Wendy Williams Reveals She's Been Staying in a Sober-Living House

    Wendy Williams, during an emotional monologue on her talk show on Tuesday, revealed through tears that she has been staying at a sober-living house. “So you know me for being a very open and truthful person,” she began the segment on “The Wendy Williams Show,” fighting through tears. “And I’ve got more to the story [...]

  • Hong Kong Industry Executives Seek Clarity

    FilMart: Hong Kong Industry Executives Plead for Clarity on Mainland Chinese Tax Policies

    At a time of heightened scrutiny of tax affairs in China’s entertainment sector, even industry veterans in Hong Kong are struggling to figure out how to operate in the new financial environment and pleading for more clarity from the Chinese government. Hong Kong produces about 60 films a year, three-quarters of which are typically co-productions [...]

  • Michael Jackson R Kelly

    'Leaving Neverland,' 'Surviving R. Kelly' Composers on How They Scored Sexual Abuse Docs

    How do you put music to child sexual abuse — especially if the accused predators are musical icons? That’s the challenge composers Chad Hobson and Nathan Matthew David faced as they scored HBO’s “Leaving Neverland” and Lifetime’s “Surviving R. Kelly,” respectively. The documentaries are built around interviews with the alleged victims of Michael Jackson (two [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content