×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Group Opposed to Fox-Sky Takeover Files Legal Challenge Against British Regulator

An activist group opposed to 21st Century Fox’s bid to take over Sky has mounted a legal challenge seeking to nullify decisions made by British regulator Ofcom. Avaaz filed legal documents at the British High Court of Justice on Friday arguing that a new and wider investigation should be conducted into whether Fox would be a “fit and proper” owner of the pan-European pay-TV service.

Avaaz is seeking a judicial review of Ofcom’s conclusion, submitted in a report to the British government in June, that it could see no reason to reject the $15-billion takeover deal on the grounds that the Murdochs would not be a “fit and proper” owner of Sky. Fox, which already owns 39.1% of Sky, is seeking to acquire the remaining 60.9%.

“Repeated, large-scale scandals in the Murdoch empire indicate that something is very rotten at the core of their businesses,” Avaaz campaign director Alex Wilks said in a statement. “Ofcom didn’t dig deep enough before declaring the Murdochs fit to own even more of our media.”

The group had declared its intent to seek legal intervention in an Aug. 21 letter to Ofcom, which asked the regulator to withdraw its June report. The letter alleged that factual errors had been made in Ofcom’s assessment of sexual and racial harassment scandals at Fox, and that Ofcom’s test of what constitutes “fit and proper” was too narrow. The letter was submitted four days prior to Ofcom filing a second report to British Culture Secretary Karen Bradley.

Earlier this month, Bradley referred the takeover bid to the U.K. Competitions and Market Authority for a fuller investigation on “media plurality and genuine commitment to broadcasting standards grounds.” The inquiry is expected to take about six months.

If Avaaz is successful with the complaint filed Friday, the court could require Ofcom to start over with its investigation into the takeover bid and to carry out a more detailed review, looking at all parts of the Fox business. That could cause further delays for Fox, which is obliged by the takeover deal to pay Sky an additional £200 million ($268 million) if regulatory scrutiny is not completed by Aug. 15, 2018. Avaaz hopes the court will reach its decision before the end of the year.

More TV

  • Ken Jeong TV Take Podcast

    Listen: Ken Jeong on His Return to Stand-Up and New Netflix Special

    Welcome to “TV Take,” Variety’s television podcast. In this week’s episode, Variety’s executive editor of TV, Daniel Holloway, talks with Ken Jeong about his Netflix comedy special, “Ken Jeong: You Complete Me, Ho,” and being a judge on Fox’s “The Masked Singer.“ Jeong started working on his new standup act after ABC canceled his show “Dr. [...]

  • "Brother" -- Episode 201-- Pictured (l-r):

    CBS Interactive's Marc DeBevoise on Streaming Boom, Content Strategy, and Apple

    Not everyone wants or needs to be Netflix to succeed in the streaming space. And not everyone sees Apple’s enigmatic new service as a threat. Even as rival streaming services offer gobs of content, CBS Interactive’s president and COO Marc DeBevoise sees the company’s targeted original programming strategy continuing to attract viewers to its All [...]

  • Ken Jeong to Star in CBS

    Ken Jeong to Star in CBS Comedy Pilot From 'Crazy Rich Asians' Author Kevin Kwan

    A “Crazy Rich Asians” reunion is happening at CBS. Ken Jeong has been cast in a lead role in the multi-camera comedy pilot “The Emperor of Malibu,” which is being co-written and executive produced by “Crazy Rich Asians” author Kevin Kwan. In the series, Auggie, the son of a Chinese tech billionaire, announces his engagement [...]

  • Jussie SmollettFOX 'Empire' TV show panel,

    Jussie Smollett Case: Chicago Police Arrest Two Suspects

    Chicago police confirmed on Friday that they have arrested two suspects in the case of “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett. The police did not state what charges the men are being held on. Local media have identified the men as two brothers from Nigeria, though law enforcement has not confirmed their identities. Smollett’s representatives have declined [...]

  • Skyline of Doha at night with

    Qatar's beIN Rallies Support From U.S. Companies Against Pirate Broadcaster beoutQ

    Qatari powerhouse beIN Media Group has rallied support from American sports and entertainment entities, including Discovery and Fox, behind its request that the U.S. government place Saudi Arabia on its watch list of top intellectual property offenders. The Doha-based broadcaster, a state-owned spinoff of Al Jazeera news network, accuses the Saudi government of harboring pirate broadcaster [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content