×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

FCC Will Allow Broadcasters to Move to New ‘Next Gen’ TV Standard

WASHINGTON — Broadcasters will be allowed to start using a new TV standard that allows for a bevy of new services, including interactivity, improved picture and sound, and targeted advertising.

The standard — technically called ATSC 3.0, but also known as Next Gen TV — has long been a dream of broadcasters anxious to better compete with online media.

The FCC’s action is voluntary: Broadcasters won’t be required to adopt the standard, and, at least initially, consumers won’t be forced to buy new TV sets or devices. The stations that move to such a standard must continue to operate their current channels via a simulcast.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said Next Gen TV will be a “voluntary market driven transition” that could help public television broadcasters in offering interactivity for children’s educational television. He said it will allow free, over-the-air broadcasters to better compete with subscription cable and satellite TV.

Yet the action hasn’t been free from controversy. The FCC vote was 3-2.

The cable industry is concerned over the costs to carry the Next Gen signal, including the impact it would have on carriage negotiations with broadcasters. The FCC’s action does not require them to provide the upgraded station signals to their subscribers. Others have brought up issues of consumer privacy, and whether viewers will have their TV habits traced in the same way that they are on social media.

Commissioner Mignon Clyburn criticized the FCC’s action, saying that specific provisions will allow broadcasters to create “two different tiers of television.” She also warned that some viewers may lose broadcast signals altogether as the industry transitions to a new standard, and she called for greater protections for consumers.

“This order is not ready for primetime,” she said.

“What we do today is rush this standard to the market, with an ugly disregard to consumer consequences,” said Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel. She said the standard should be tested in a single market before the FCC approves its use nationwide.

She noted that Sinclair Broadcasting, which holds patents on the technology, has been one of the biggest champions for the FCC approving its use. Sinclair also has a merger with Tribune Media pending before the FCC, which would create a broadcast giant with more than 200 stations reaching 72% of the country.

Commissioner Michael O’Rielly, however, said the transition to a new standard would be in a number of stages, as happened when the industry switched to digital television. In that case, it took years of planning before the transition in 2009.

Broadcasters see the new standard as a way to provide improved pictures and sound, along with interactivity and advanced emergency alerts. It also will enable broadcasters to offer more mobile services, including ways for consumers to watch without counting against data caps.

As some public interest groups have raised questions about privacy, Dennis Wharton, spokesman for the National Association of Broadcasters, said earlier this week that the new standard “will not magically allow your TV to tell broadcasters demographic information about you to show better ads. That’s nonsense.” The Federal Trade Commission will have some authority over whether companies are following privacy policies.

The Next Gen standard, which combines over-the-air broadcasting with broadband technology, will allow stations to “show you advertisements more likely to fit your interests,” Wharton said.

More Politics

  • Donald Trump

    Russian Disinformation Campaign Aimed to Aid Trump and Hurt Clinton, Reports Say

    WASHINGTON — A pair of reports released by the Senate Intelligence Committee on Monday show a much more widespread Russian disinformation campaign before and after the 2016 presidential election that sought to impersonate mainstream media organizations and at the same time try to discredit them. As much of the focus has been on Facebook, Twitter [...]

  • Armie Hammer and Felicity Jones'On the

    Why Armie Hammer Cooked for the Cast of 'On the Basis of Sex'

    Ruth Bader Ginsburg returned to her hometown on Sunday for the New York premiere of “On the Basis of Sex,” a biopic starring Felicity Jones tells the Supreme Court justice’s origin story. The 85-year-old Brooklynite received a standing ovation when she entered the Walter Reade Theater — a testament to the Notorious RBG’s rock-star status. Ginsburg [...]

  • Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke

    Ryan Zinke to Resign as Interior Secretary

    WASHINGTON — Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke will step down at the end of the year, amid a series of investigations that include conflict of interest. “Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke will be leaving the Administration at the end of the year after having served for a period of almost two years. Ryan [...]

  • Department of Justice

    DOJ: Gray TV-Raycom Media Merger Can Move Forward if Overlapping Stations Are Sold

    WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has given the go ahead to Gray Television’s $3.6 billion merger with Raycom Media on the condition that stations be sold in nine markets. The DOJ’s Antitrust Division said it had reached a settlement in which Gray would sell stations in the markets where they would otherwise own two or [...]

  • Mick Mulvaney Chief of Staff

    Mick Mulvaney Will Serve as Acting Chief of Staff, Trump Says

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Mick Mulvaney will serve as his acting chief of staff after the departure of John Kelly at the end of the year. Mulvaney is currently the director of the Office of Management and Budget. Trump has said he was talking to a number of candidates for the position, but [...]

  • Michael Cohen

    Michael Cohen: Trump Knew Hush Money Payments Were Wrong

    WASHINGTON — Michael Cohen claims that Donald Trump knew that hush money payments made to two women in advance of the 2016 election were wrong. Appearing on ABC’s “Good Morning America” for his first interview since being sentenced to three years in prison, Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, said that when payments were being arranged for [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content