×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Trump on Harvey Weinstein: ‘Not at All Surprised’ by Sexual Assault Allegations

President Donald Trump addressed on Saturday the sexual harassment scandal that’s engulfed power producer Harvey Weinstein following an explosive New York Times report chronicling decades of allegations.

According to the White House pool report, Trump said he’s known Weinstein for a long time. “I’m not at all surprised to see it,” he said when reporters asked about the sexual assault allegations waged  by multiple women against Weinstein.

When asked about the correlation between the Weinstein controversy and his own following the leak of an “Access Hollywood” tape in which Trump made crude remarks about a reporter, he said, “That’s locker room (talk)” — the same response he gave last year when the audio was first released.

Several White House correspondents who were congregated outside the White House before Trump left for North Carolina also shared his remarks on social media.

“JUST IN: Trump on Harry Weinstein: I’ve known him a long time, I’m not surprised,” NBC News’ Peter Alexander tweeted from the scene.

“POTUS just said ‘not at all surprised’ by the Harvey Weinstein comments. I asked him how that was different from Access Hollywood tape,” CNN’s Elizabeth Landers wrote.

“The President told me that was ‘locker room talk’ and then moved on the next question,” she added.

Trump himself wrote on Twitter that he was headed for North Carolina minutes after reporters on the scene tweeted his surprising remarks.

“Leaving the White House for the Great State of North Carolina. Big progress being made on many fronts!” Trump wrote.

Weinstein was at odds with Trump politically, and helped organize campaign fundraisers for his 2016 rival, Hillary Clinton.

But it is little surprise that they know each other, given their New York roots and because they both have a long history of experience in exploiting attention, particularly in the Manhattan tabloids.

Trump tweeted a swipe at Weinstein in 2014, as Weinstein was taking on the gun lobby.

On Friday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders declined to say much about the Weinstein scandal when she was asked whether Democrats should return political donations from him.

But others have. The Republican National Committee has highlighted donations that Democrats have received from Weinstein, as has Sean Spicer, Trump’s former press secretary.

RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel wrote on Twitter, “Whose side is Hillary Clinton on: Harvey Weinstein’s or his victims?” Clinton has not issued any comment on Weinstein since the New York Times story broke. But the topic may come up on Monday, when she will make an appearance in Davis, Calif. for her book tour.

Earlier on Saturday, Donald Trump Jr. sparred with Jimmy Kimmel on Twitter. Trump’s father tweeted about late-night talk hosts earlier in the day.

Democrats have been on the defensive, particularly when it comes to campaign contributions from Weinstein.

On Saturday, in an excerpt from an interview she gave to NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) told moderator Chuck Todd that she was “really surprised that people knew these things and did nothing about it.”

“It’s like these shootings. And it’s very, very concerning that there can’t be a more defined moral code,” she said.

She said she didn’t know whether she has received any contributions from Weinstein.

“I don’t know that I’ve received any. I’ll certainly take a look, and then I’ll make a decision,” she said. “That’s the best I can do for you today.”

At least eight Democratic senators have announced that they are donating the sums that Weinstein contributed to their campaigns to charities. Among them is Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). In addition, the Democratic National Committee announced that it would donate more than $30,000 in contributions from Weinstein to groups including Emily’s List, while calling the allegations against him “deeply troubling.”

But the DNC also tried to turn the scandal back on Republicans. In their statement, they noted that it was the one-year anniversary of the release of the “Access Hollywood” tape.

“The Democratic party condemns all forms of sexual harassment and assault,” the statement said. “We hope that Republicans will do the same as we mark one year since the release of a tape showing President Trump bragging about sexually assaulting women followed by more than a dozen women who came forward to detail similar experiences of assault and harassment.”

— Ted Johnson contributed to this report.

More Politics

  • Sarah Huckabee Sanders

    White House Correspondents: End of Daily Briefing 'Sets a Terrible Precedent'

    WASHINGTON — The president of the White House Correspondents’ Association said the apparent end of the daily White House press briefing “sets a terrible precedent.” President Donald Trump tweeted on Tuesday that he told press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders “not to bother” with the daily briefing, which has been a longtime tradition in which a [...]

  • Donald Trump

    Supreme Court Allows Trump's Transgender Military Ban as Case Proceeds

    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court will allow the Trump administration’s ban on transgender service members to go into effect while the policy is being challenged in the courts. In a 5-4 decision, the high court granted the administration’s request to lift a court stay that had sidelined the policy, which Trump announced in a tweet [...]

  • Sarah Huckabee Sanders Jemele Hill

    Trump Says He Told Sarah Huckabee Sanders 'Not to Bother' With Press Briefings

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said he told Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders “not to bother” with press briefings, once a staple of media coverage of the White House that have instead become a rarity. Trump tweeted on Tuesday morning, “the reason Sarah Sanders does not go to the ‘podium’ much anymore is that the [...]

  • Why Megan Mullally Won't Talk Politics

    Q&A: Why Megan Mullally Won't Talk Politics While Hosting the SAG Awards

    Megan Mullally is funny. The “Will & Grace” star can also sing and dance. While she’s not picking up the Oscar hosting gig after the Kevin Hart fiasco, Mullally will take center stage on Sunday, Jan. 27 when she makes her debut as the host of the 25th annual SAG Awards. Variety caught up with [...]

  • U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader

    Fox News Apologizes for Airing Graphic Implying Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died

    Fox News has apologized for airing a graphic that incorrectly implied Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died. The 85-year-old Supreme Court Justice, who is very much alive, is at home recovering from lung surgery. The graphic ran during the morning show “Fox & Friends,” displaying a photo of Ginsburg with the dates 1933-2019. “This was a [...]

  • Kamala Harris

    Kamala Harris Launches 2020 Presidential Bid

    WASHINGTON — Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) launched her presidential campaign on Monday with an online video and an appearance on “Good Morning America” in which she said that “this is a moment in time that I feel a sense of responsibility to stand up and fight for the best of who we are.” Harris, 54, [...]

  • Editorial use only. No merchandising.Mandatory Credit:

    Lady Gaga Slams Government Shutdown, Mike Pence at Vegas Residency

    Lady Gaga took a short break from singing “Million Reasons” at her Saturday performance of “Enigma” in Las Vegas to slam the president for the continued government shutdown. While sitting at the piano for her performance, Gaga broke into a takedown of the government shutdown and Vice President Mike Pence, who has been in the [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content