×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Quentin Tarantino Film About Manson Family Murders Lands at Sony

Sony Pictures has emerged victorious in its quest to land worldwide rights to Quentin Tarantino’s next film. The studio was one of three finalists for distribution rights to the picture, beating out Warner Bros. and Paramount to land one of the hottest titles on the market.

Studio chief Tom Rothman pushed aggressively for the project, working with his top deputy Sanford Panitch and marketing and distribution chief Josh Greenstein to court the “Pulp Fiction” director, and selling Tarantino on the studio’s ability to market the picture and roll it out internationally.

Tarantino drove a hard bargain, however, and some studios balked at his deal terms. The picture, set in 1969, involves the Charles Manson family murders. It is rumored to have a budget of nearly $100 million and Tarantino is demanding first dollar gross, meaning he gets a taste of the studio’s pre-tax revenues. He also receives final cut. That scared off some suitors (one studio executive said, after crunching the numbers, it seemed too difficult to make money on the deal). Other studios were skittish about the controversial subject matter.

Tarantino’s last film, “The Hateful Eight,” was a box office disappointment, earning $155.8 million globally on a $44 million budget. He did score with the likes of “Inglourious Basterds” and “Django Unchained,” which made $321.5 million and $425.4 million, respectively, and attracted serious awards attention.

Tarantino’s career has been closely aligned with that of Harvey Weinstein. He released all his films through Weinstein’s companies. However, the sexual abuse and assault scandal that engulfed Weinstein and pushed the Weinstein Company to the brink of bankruptcy has also forced the director to find a new perch. Over the past two months, dozens of women have come forward alleging that Weinstein harassed or assaulted them. In an October interview with the New York Times, Tarantino said he regretted working with Weinstein and said, “I knew enough to do more than I did.” The director previously dated Mira Sorvino, who is among Weinstein’s accusers.

WME handled the negotiations for rights to the film. Deadline first reported that a pact had been reached.

More Film

  • Thierry Frémaux, José Luis Rebordinos Honored

    Thierry Frémaux, José Luis Rebordinos Named Honorary Argentine Academy Members

    BUENOS AIRES — In a ceremony just before Friday’s prize announcements at Ventana Sur, Cannes chief Thierry Frémaux and José Luis Rebordinos, director of the San Sebastian Festival, were named honorary members of Argentina’s Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, in a new move for the Academy, out through by its new president, Bernardo [...]

  • Nona

    Film Review: 'Nona'

    Twenty years and 12 features down the line, it’s still hard to peg the directorial sensibility of Michael Polish, with or without the presence of brother Mark as frequent co-writer and actor. His output has been all over the place, from early Lynchian quirkfests to the very middle-of-the-road inspirational dramedy “The Astronaut Farmer,” not to [...]

  • Pawel Pawlikowski "Cold War"

    Pawel Pawlikowski's 'Cold War' Wins for Best Film, Director at European Film Awards

    “Cold War,” Pawel Pawlikowski’s black-and-white romance set in the 1950s, scooped the prizes for best film, director and screenplay at the 31st edition of the European Film Awards on Saturday. “Cold War” star Joanna Kulig also won the award for best actress. Marcello Fonte, the star of Matteo Garrone’s “Dogman,” won for best actor. Armando Iannucci’s [...]

  • The Favourite Bohemian Rapsody Star is

    The Best Movie Scenes of 2018

    When we think back on a movie that transported us, we often focus on a great scene — or maybe the greatest scene — in it. It’s natural. Those scenes are more than just defining. They can be the moment that lifts a movie into the stratosphere, that takes it to the higher reaches of [...]

  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

    Box Office: 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Soars Toward $35-40 Million Debut

    “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” is swinging into theaters on a high note. Sony-Marvel’s latest output is launching to $42 million from 3,813 North American locations in its debut, though other more conservative estimates place that number at $35.5 million. The animated superhero story picked up $12.6 million on Friday, easily leading the pack for the weekend. [...]

  • Ventana Sur : Cinema226 Closes Four

    Cinema226 Announces Four Intl. Co-Productions, Hints at More (EXCLUSIVE)

    Mexico’s Cinema226, run by Marco Antonio Salgado and Sam Guillén, is driving into a raft of Mexico, Argentina and Spain co-productions, playing off the current vibrancy of Mexican film production funding and distribution outlets. Among the projects are titles which have been standouts at Ventana Sur’s Blood Window, the next film by Mexico-based Argentine filmmaker [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content