“The idea that I would offer a part to anyone for any other reason than that he or she was gonna be the best of anyone I could find is so disgusting to me,” he told the outlet when asked about the women’s many accusations. “And anyone who says it is a lying c—sucker or c— or both. Can I be any clearer than that?” He added, “Anyone who says that, I just want to spit in his or her f—ing face.”
The Los Angeles Times published a shocking report on Oct. 22 that detailed accusations of sexual harassment against Toback by 38 women, going back to the ’80s. Since that report broke, several celebrities — Julianne Moore, Selma Blair, and Rachel McAdams — have all come out with their own stories about Toback.
Additionally, the writer of the Los Angeles Time piece, Glenn Whipp, said dozens more women reached out to him with accusations about Toback, bringing the number of those coming forward to 310.
He said the allegations reflect “the opposite of the way I work,” and called them “offensive and insulting and disgusting.” “I don’t give my best friends parts unless they deserve them. Ever,” he said. He pointed to the fact that he was with Sienna Miller, who he’s working on “The Private Life of a Modern Woman” with, and passed the phone to her where off-the-record conversations took place, per the article (Variety has reached out to Miller’s rep for comment).
When confronted with the baffling number of women who have come forward against him, Toback said insisted that the accusers “gang up.” “There was an article years and years ago with a bunch of anonymous people. People read things… it’s all, you know, me too, me too, me too, me too, me too,” he said. “Anyway, it’s too stupid to waste time on. It really is. It doesn’t have anything to do with my life in any way. It never has. I work seriously with complete integrity.”
Toback also previously denied the allegations, telling Variety in a statement that they’re “totally distressing to me.”