×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Disney Ends Ban on Los Angeles Times Following Backlash

Following a growing backlash, the Walt Disney Co. has ended its ban on the Los Angeles Times from press screenings of its movies.

“We’ve had productive discussions with the newly installed leadership at The Los Angeles Times regarding our specific concerns, and as a result, we’ve agreed to restore access to advance screenings for their film critics,” a Disney spokesperson said Tuesday.

Disney did not elaborate on the statement. Ross Levinsohn, a veteran media executive who worked at Fox and served as interim chief of Yahoo, was named publisher and chief executive of the news organization in August.

Five critics groups had blasted the studio’s media blackout of the newspaper and pledged to disqualify Disney’s films from awards consideration until the blackout was lifted.

The Los Angeles Film Critics Association, the New York Film Critics Circle, the Boston Society of Film Critics, and the National Society of Film Critics jointly issued the statement Tuesday morning. The Toronto Film Critics Association joined the boycott on Tuesday as well. The New York Times and filmmaker Ava Duvernay also issued statements of support on Tuesday.

A continued boycott by critics groups and other showbusiness organizations could have carried widespread consequences for Disney during awards season. Disney’s contenders include its live-action “Beauty and the Beast,” “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” animated films “Cars 3” and “Coco,” and the upcoming “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”

The controversy emerged on Nov. 3 when newspaper explained that the studio’s films such as “Thor: Ragnarok” were not included in its holiday movie preview because of Disney’s refusal to offer advance screenings in response to a two-part series that the Times published that examined the business relationship between the company’s flagship California theme park, Disneyland, and the city of Anaheim.

Disney responded the same day by alleging that the Times “showed a complete disregard for basic journalistic standards” in its coverage of Anaheim and Disneyland.

More Film

  • Alfonso Cuaron71st Annual Writers Guild Awards,

    Alfonso Cuarón on Academy's 'Inevitable' Reversal on Televised Oscar Categories

    Alfonso Cuarón isn’t exactly surprised that the Academy reversed its decision and will now air all the Oscar categories during the live show on Sunday. Feb. 24. Calling the decision “inevitable,”Cuarón tells Variety that he thinks the Academy should take things even further. “Let’s stop calling them technical categories!” he told Variety on Sunday night [...]

  • TorinoFilmLab Announces Selections for 2019 ScriptLab

    TorinoFilmLab Announces Selections for 2019 ScriptLab (EXCLUSIVE)

    The TorinoFilmLab has announced the 20 feature projects and five story editor trainees who have been selected to take part in the 2019 edition of ScriptLab, an initiative focused on the development of fiction feature film scripts in early development stage. Beginning in March, this year’s participants will team up with filmmakers from around the [...]

  • Alita Battle Angel

    North American Box Office Declines From Last Year With Weak Presidents Day Weekend

    “Alita: Battle Angel” easily won a tepid Presidents Day weekend with a $34.2 million at 3,790 North American locations, estimates showed Monday. Overall domestic moviegoing for 2019 has plunged 22.1% to $1.24 billion as of Monday, according to Comscore. That’s $350 million below the same date a year ago and the lowest figure at this [...]

  • Queen + Adam Lambert perform at

    Queen to Perform at Oscars

    Queen will perform at the Academy Awards ceremony on Sunday, the Motion Picture Academy announced on social media today. The move, which is not completely a surprise, comes in the wake of the blockbuster success of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the biopic about the band and its late singer, Freddie Mercury. The band now performs under the [...]

  • Richard E. Grant Variety Facetime Interview

    Richard E. Grant on How to Survive Awards Season With Flair

    An Oscar would certainly be nice, but Richard E. Grant doesn’t need a golden statue to walk away from this awards season as a winner. The 61-year-old actor landed his first Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of Jack Hock, the loyal accomplice of author-turned-literary forager Lee Israel (Melissa McCarthy) in the biopic “Can You [...]

  • Alita Battle Angel

    'Alita: Battle Angel' Banks on Foreign Audiences to Save It From Box Office Disaster

    “Alita: Battle Angel” beat expectations with its $27 million debut at the domestic box office, but Fox’s cyberpunk fantasy adventure has a long road to travel before it can claim victory. When it comes to achieving profitability, the CGI-spectacular may never arrive at that particular destination. With a production budget hovering at $170 million (Fox [...]

  • Berlin Awarded 'Tess' Sells to Multiple

    Berlin Awarded 'Tess' Sells to Multiple Territories (EXCLUSIVE)

    Berlin-based sales agent Picture Tree Intl. has sold Steven Wouterlood’s coming-of-age film “My Extraordinary Summer with Tess,” which received a Special Mention from the jury of Berlin Film Festival’s Generation KPlus section, to distributors in several territories. Among the buyers are Les Films Du Preau in France, Proview Entertainment in Taiwan, Angel Films in Denmark, [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content