Chelsea Handler Nixes Two-Party Politics: ‘I’m Not a Democrat Anymore’ (Watch)

Chelsea Handler women's march
Chelsea Lauren/REX/Shutterstock

The election of Donald Trump has inspired Chelsea Handler to re-think her political affiliation.

The outspoken comedian sat down with Variety hours after leading the Women’s March at the Sundance Film Festival on Saturday in Park City, Utah, for a wide-ranging interview, discussing everything from Trump to women’s rights to two-party politics.

Handler revealed that after the results of the 2016 election, she no longer considers herself a Democrat.

“Divisiveness is not the answer, and I think to get that message, we have to reach across party lines,” Handler said. “Forget your party. I’m registering as an independent. I’m not going to be a Democrat anymore because it’s too divisive. This isn’t working, this two-party system.”

Speaking with Variety‘s Elizabeth Wagmeister, Handler said that Trump’s victory influenced her immensely, causing her to have an agenda of educating herself and other people about politics, voting and human rights.

Handler’s biggest concern under Trump’s administration is racism, she says. And then reproductive issues.

“No one has any right to tell us what to do with our bodies. That is not okay. You get off of your religious bulls— soapbox. I am my own person. No man gets to tell me what I get to do with my body. No one. Not your husband, not your politician. Why would somebody I don’t know tell me what I can do? This is America. So that is a real issue,” she said. “Planned Parenthood helps so many women and men.”

When asked if she would ever interview Trump on her Netflix show, she bluntly said, “No.”

How about Melania Trump?

“No,” Handler said. “Melania? To talk about what? She can barely speak English.”

Though she does not want the president to come onto her show as a guest, Handler was asked what she would say to Trump if he were in her presence.

“F— off. F— off,” Handler said. “Gross. He is the grossest. Physically, emotionally, mentally. Those statues they made of him were accurate. I bet you that is what he looks like naked with a little grape in between his legs.”

Elaborating on the Trumps, Handler said, “I don’t respect either one of those people.”

Someone she does respect is Hillary Clinton. “It’s so shameful what’s transpired because because we had the most qualified candidate in history against the least qualified candidate in history, and then we had Russia interfering with our election,” Handler said. “There’s like a war. This is kind of war.”

Watch Chelsea Handler’s full interview with Variety here:

1. Jason says:

“The media are not a steward of freedom anymore but a cheerleader for their liberal politics.” TRUE.

2. Cary says:

Why is mainstream media giving Handler a pass, can you say hypocrisy. The media are not a steward of freedom anymore but a cheerleader for their liberal politics.

3. Terry Kuldo says:

Handler insulted all immigrants who have accent.

4. Margaret George says:

Gosh this is beyond sad. Claims to be a feminist type but then disses Melania Trump because she can’t speak English? Slap in the face to women, migrants, everyone with a bit of class really. This poor lady, so self righteous, so self obsessed. How does she have a relationship with anyone? Is anyone good enough for her? She was inspired by the march? What, the one that protested the democratic election of a president?The one that was full of losers who didn’t accept the word of the people? The one that protests against the C O N S T I T U T I O N? That one? Man, I just shake my head at people like this.

5. Iris Fan says:

As an FEMALE immigrant I was offended. Chelsea Hitler didn’t like immigrants after all, too drunk to hide her real thoughts: she mocked and despised ANOTHER WOMAN of her language skill! How ironic! Women’s March is so fake that it should be called “Angry Female Bullie’s March”.

6. John says:

Who’s Chelsea Handler? Another wanna-be-relevant leftist “celeb”? Don’t you need actual fans to be considered a “celeb”?

7. Sherry ANN Black says:

I doubt they would come on your show…so this is a mute point!

8. Kathy says:

Chelsea is an ignorant disgrace regarding Melania . Thank God most woman are NOT like her. How many languages can YOU speak??

9. John Miller says:

Handler isn’t worth commenting on!

10. james says:

Why are you wasting ;your time and mine with tripe such as this? She obviously is not cognizant of world affairs nor of common sense. Like so many of her ilk, it is her way or the highway. Hillary is the “most prepared” person to ever run for President? Look how that reflects on the American. To have that lying hag as President certainly makes “we the people” look bad. We are a better culture than that. And a better culture than Ms. Handler than thinks as well.

11. Mark Calki says:

Nothing divisive about her, If Melania’s accent is too much for her, she needs to find a new line of work or lay off the vodka for awhile. Which second language does she speak better than Mrs. Trump speaks English. And what is it she is independent from? She sounds like almost every other comedienne. Margaret Cho, Rosie O’D. All hate, all vulgarity, all the time.

12. Hate. Hate. And more hate. There is nothing but hate in 99% of the comments and that my friends is what is wrong. Learn to listen more and understand others before you spew out nothing but out of content hate. All of you should try to be constructive instead of divisive. You all hate too much and nothing will come of hate but hate. You just make the divide worse. Get verifiable facts and numbers and post in a positive way. Listen to different sources and see if we can get past it and promote civil rights in all things gender, race, religion, origin and sexual preference.

13. styled5x5 says:

Handler’s biggest concern under Trump’s administration is racism, she says. And then reproductive issues.

How about Melania Trump?

Wow… Why can’t women stop hating on women. Only cares about racism if they speak English. I just can’t relate to the mean girl vibe….

14. John says:

Chelsea Handler uses too much Botox. She looks more and more like a woman rescued from a terrible fire who needed to get a skin transplantation in the face. Maybe people would take her politics more seriously if she was more honest about her aging? When will women learn, that this Botox crap not only makes you look like a freak, but it also makes you appear like a dishonest person. It’s bad, Chelsea!

15. Liza says:

“and there was much rejoicing” amongst Democrats

16. IT--II--IT says:

TOO late !

WORD’s irreversibly OUT on INTEL RUN Hollywood and ‘reality actor’ reality itself.

OVER !

17. Nun ya says:

I’m all for cleansing of the Democratic Party. If they want to call themselves “independent” that’s fine with me. Like any liberal, she is such a hypocrite. “Handler noted that her greatest concern under a Trump presidency is racism.”. Then is the same interview she takes a jab at Melania’s English speaking skills. So typical of the unstable irrational liberal snowflakes.

18. Christophe says:

“Handler’s biggest concern under Trump’s administration is racism.”

“Melania? To talk about what? She can barely speak English.”

Nuff said!

19. jim says:

3RD party always splits the vote always.

20. Sherry Hodges says:

Get over yourself.

21. Carly DelGrosso says:

I AM SO SICK OF THE CRY BABIES TRUMPS KELLYANNE CONWAYS (WHICH I CANT STAND BC SHE CANT ANSWER A ?) SHE NEEDS TO GO AWAY, JUST LIKE TRUMP, PENCE AND EVERY1 ON HIS CABINENT!!!!! KELLYANNE IS TRUMPS PUPPET LIKE EVERY1 ELSE !!!!! AND PPL STOP BITCHING BOUT HILLARY CLINTON THIS AND THAT SHE DID W EMAILS!!!!! PLEASE BUT DONALD DUMP CANT RELEASE HIS TAXES HE NEVER PAID, HE SHLD BE IN JAIL!!! HE NEVER PAID SO MANY WORKERS THAT FINISHED JOBS 4 HIM BUT CLDNT PAY THEM BUT NO PROBLEM WORKING OUT OF PLACES THEY FINISHED AND THERE UP AND RUNNING, MAKING MILLIONS!!!!!!!!! HILLARY DID WIN U FREAKING MORONS HE JUST CHEATS!!!!!!!!! FOX NEWS REPORTS LIES LIKE ALWAYS…….. HE WON BC RUSSIA GET REAL, IF THIS WAS HER THAT WON AND WAS GOING ON HE WLD OF HAD HER ARRESTED ALREADY, AND YES EVERY AMERICAN WANTS UR TAX RECORDS!!!!!!!!! HE HAD NO BUIS 2 EVER RUN 4 PRESIDENT AND HE DID 2 F..K HER OVER BC HE KNEW SHE WLD WIN THE 1ST WOMAN PRESIDENT!!!!! ALL HE WANTS 2 DO NOW IS GET RICHER, HE SAID GET THE OIL!!!!! SO THE DUMB F..KING AMERICANS THAT VOTED 4 HIM HE IS LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF AT U FOOLS, AS HE PLAYED U RETARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAYING THESE DUMB AMERICANS BELIEVED ME!!!!!! I AM 100% WITH U CHELSEA!!!!! FOOLS!!!!!! #DONALDDUMP!!!!

22. Aaron says:

You literally insulted the first lady for being an immigrant

23. So how Ms. Handler’s view any different from that of the Democratic party? What part of what they said and did is divisive in her opinion? I’m just interested to know because I am a registered independent and I think that PC culture and cries of “racism” every time any disagrees with someone of a different color is divisive. It’s gotten much worse over the past 8 years. I think it will not be helped by Trump, but the press and celebrities helped create him. I used to treat Veterans, and they represent the common man and woman, in a way. They were so fed up with the far left agenda. They were upset with government coverups for the VA , fake VAOIG “investigations” which turned up nothing and ratted on the doctors and other employees who reported it, and so much more. They were angry. That helped elect Trump. Benghazi helped elect Trump. Racism is real, but there are racists of every color and creed out there and this is one thing that Democrats refuse to realize.

24. Jack says:

The most qualified candidate in history; if toppling governments, inciting anti-American feelings, drone murdering 3rd world civilians, supporting corporate bail outs and supporting using the CIA and NSA to spy on US Citizens counts as qualified…then yes Hillary was most qualified.

Independents are usually free thinkers, strict constitutionalists, and those who value maximum individual freedom over government tribalism; so I hate to tell her she probably isn’t going to fit in there either.

25. George says:

Liberal media elites remind me of toddlers who are fascinated with their own genitals and smearing their own feces. They *always* make references to genitalia and/or feces while describing political rivals. They cannot simply act maturely and stick with facts and statistics. They go on to push sensational media hoaxes that have been debunked many times over. The few facts they have are then deliberately taken out of context. I’m not sure what they are trying to accomplish. I leave this interview seething with hatred; and I feel like my mind was raped. Human filth like this would actually win people over if they kept it clean and factual. This highly visible interview will resonate in the minds of millions for awhile. This aging, over-rated celebrity will soon join the ranks of the old, lonely, bitter “cat ladies” that we have seen in the various lunatic demonstrations, across the country. Mainstream Americans find this type of filth beyond disgusting. MLK’s demonstrations were peaceful while including spiritualism and decency. If liberals want to survive, that is what they should emulate. X-rated, scatological comments, burning down cities, physically attacking people…that’s creating the opposite of the peace and unity. Keep it up…see what happens. You will fail. By the way, I am relatively liberal, but in a traditional sense. The new liberalism is quite contrary to the true meaning of the word.

26. Kaycee Smith says:

I guess she don’t know that being coming a independent is joining the Independence party. So I guess she does have a lot to learn about politics. Unless the Independent party becomes big enough to compeate which will take a long time there is still going to be only a two party system. I would have understood more if she said she was going to have no party affiliation. Does she even know the Independent party platform?

27. Chelsea is cool and I’ve always liked her. I remember watching Chelsea Lately all the time and cracking up. She mentioned divisiveness but she talks bad about Trump and the First Lady, isn’t that being divisive? She could not agree with their politics but don’t disrespect them like this. But you’re still my girl, Chelsea.

28. Colette says:

She’s worried about racism, yet she said regarding the First Lady, “She can barely speak English.” It appears as if we are not hearing from an intelligent person from this comment.
    Frankly, making a foul, disgusting comment about his *** between his legs, is not better than speaking about us women in a disbursing way. I don’t recall people thinking HC was dumb. We just felt she has done so, so many terrible, …ugh, you know. I’m sick of the Political lifers. I never started a job with a $400k home and after a few years with a $5M home. Have you? Oh, Chelsea has.

29. Shannon says:

“Divisiveness is not the answer”

Handler’s biggest concern under Trump’s administration is racism

Racist or divisiive much Chelsea??? Typical incoherent liberal rant. Why should a message like this get coverage???

• Kaycee Smith says:

Staying someone barely speaks English is not racist Melania is not a long time citizen to the US and she may in fact speak English to be comfortable speaking English as many people who know English but aren’t used to addressing strangers or groups in English. Melania has a heavy accent that may be one of the reasons she is not that vocal, she has given interviews but no long or live interviews. That’s not divisive but a fact of life for people who don’t speak English as a first language. You sound like you don’t have experience or know a lot of non native English speaking people. I have lived in different countries and have friends from all over the world. Just because you speak five different languages doen’t mean you are comfortable speaking them. I know people that know English well that are not comfortable speaking to native English speakers out of fear of saying something wrong so they can in fact barely speak English beasuse of shyiness. So no it’s not racist or divisive is an observation. It becomes racist or divisive when one assumes because of someone’s race or background they don’t speak English, without hearing them speak.

• deb says:

Saying that you would not talk to someone because “she can barely speak English” IS racist. PERIOD. Was a fan…but no longer. Chelsea is an idiot and is racist. As a NOW indepedent, I hope she just disappears, like the rest of them.

• Shannon says:

So Kaycee Smith, unless you speak perfect English, let’s not try to talk to them and understand anything they have to say? They are dismissed as not capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation? Melania seems to be able to speak well enough to me. There are also many other people that came into this country as immigrants that don’t speak perfect English that seem to be able to communicate just fine and get their thoughts across. Don’t discount someone because of this or make the decision for them that they are not worth communicating with. Seems racist and divisive to me expecially in light of the tone of Chelsea’s obvious bias against her.

30. Curly says:

There is no reason that the US cannot have more than the two political parties that we have had from the beginning other than the two major parties control who can get on the ballot in each state.
    If there had been a viable third or forth party the US would not have gone through what we have had to go through in the last couple of decades.

31. Chelsea is in for a very rough time…she will either have to change her tune or Trump is going to throw on her feminidiot head of hers some Federal offense for Defamatory Statements against the POTUS (or other lawyer-crap like that) and she’ll end up in prison picking lint out of the belly-button of some Butch Cunnilinga!
    All those overrated starlets should get it through their underdevelopped pretty heads that Obama’s leisure time, when you could say anything about everybody, is OVER…now, either you shut it, or you’re in for some very VERY rude awakening to the concept of ‘controlled liberty’.

32. D.I.s Gus-Ted says:

While I’m tired of all the vitriol, one point she made I agree with: Party politics have failed this country. Both the Democrats and Republicans have failed. They’re all the same, and voting for the letter behind the candidate’s name is asinine. Dissolve both parties and let’s start electing people to WORK for our country, not PARTY.

33. C Lester says:

What ignorance. Because someone is pro life and has religious beliefs, does not mean they are against women’s rights. But of course, you apparently need to use a foul mouth to make a point. That is why many of us are fed up with you holy than now liberals. Trump is no more a racist than the left who professes to be tolerant towards everyone. It is interesting how the left are the ones who continue to throw out the race card, not the conservatives. And then, not to be undone by yourself, you go after the first lady. You never would have done that with Michelle. So I guess someone who speaks many languages…probably more than you…is a threat to you. Your only language is ‘swear.’ You don’t know the first lady and you don’t know Trump except what the left wing fraud media tells you. So, as you provide your nastiness towards the Trumps, you give Hillary a pass. If you like her, fine. But this lady lied to the people many times. A pattern which has been in the making for decades. Please, don’t give us this ‘how great Hillary is’ and then slam Trump. You are a liberal and a leftest. Neither do I like.

34. Bill B. says:

I agree with most of what she says. He is a vile unfit, corrupt pig and someday we will pay a price for what has occurred. She spent her life in politics and knows so much more than he. I do believe the Russians interfered with the election and I hope someday it is revealed more thoroughly and certainly Comey interfered as well. When only 80,000 people decides an election, this is major. Hillary is not without blame though. I watched just about every minute of this long election process. He was always awful, foul, sexist, racist, corrupt, etc, etc, but never did I feel that she was sincere. She may have been, but she was so overly in control she never seemed honest. When caught off guard by a camera, she seemed real, relatable and sincere, but when in the spotlight even her appearance put me off. Overly manicured with hair that wouldn’t move in a tornado. Small stuff that added to her credibility issue. McKinnon’s take on her trying to be natural was spot on. Despite a life spent in politics, she really wasn’t good at playing the role. I kinda feel bad for her, but I feel much worse for us.

35. Alex says:

Is she an important voice? Should I care what she thinks? Why is she a “Sundance”, is she in one of the crappy flicks being shown there? Is the big news from “Sundance” going to be this march? I wonder what the film makers trying to sell their flicks think about Handler getting all the attention?

• Cary says:

127 or so million people voted for president in 2016 and was not decided by 80,000. So if a president won a state by 1,000 votes it is only those votes that count. And the media and the democrats are getting all bent out of shape because president Trump is starting a investigation into voter fraud. Why are the democrats so afraid, there have been many accounts of voter fraud, but there has never been a major investigation, seems like all Americans should back this investigation as every fraudulent vote cancels out a legitimate vote.

36. Jim says:

I’m truly sick of the “blame Hillary’s problems on the Russians” nonsense… regardless of where the disclosed embarrassing emails came from, the fact is the emails WERE there… The Democratic Party, Hillary’s campaign people and Hillary herself have nobody but themselves to blame for that… accept responsibility and shut up already. By the way, the thought of the next 4 years disturbs me greatly so I am NOT a Trump fan.

37. Marie says:

Uh really!! “She barely speaksEnglish” talk about racism-mate get some facts she only speaks I believe seven perhaps? Chelse you are are so misguided and are not a leader i would want my daughters to emulate! BTW- how many domyou speak?

38. Tim says:

God gave you the ability to create life. I hope you are given the opportunity to explain to him why you would kill a baby. Good luck!!!

39. Candace says:

One of Handler’s major concerns.. racism.
    “What would we talk about? She barely speaks English.”

The hypocritical nature of the Hollywood comments helped get Trump elected in the first place. All I have seen since his election and inauguration are people railing against someone for doing the same things they are now doing to him and his family. It doesn’t make you look strong, it makes you look ignorant.
    Nothing like the tolerant becoming the bullies. If you really want to be united, give him a chance and be the peace you want to see.

40. Tom says:

Hillary was far from being the most qualified for becoming president. The only thing Clinton becoming president meant was the first woman in office, that’s it. She had no message for what she would do in office, and corruption would be running rampant if she would have been elected.

The people of the united States have had enough government corruption, and that is why Trump was voted in. And because Trump is not a career politician. He hasn’t been corrupted by those in the establishment, and has no bias. And I’m sorry to say that words and actions are different things. One can say words, but actions are very different. So for people to be so upset over words most people don’t agree with, reminds me of elementary school. Get over yourselves. Donald Trump is our president, give the man a chance. Obama had 8 years and look how bad off we are now. Let’s hope Trump can fix this broken country.

41. K Schenck says:

I don’t believe PRESIDENT TRUMP is a racist. Sort the facts. I used to be a Democrat but haven’t been since Bill Clinton.

42. K Schenck says:

Not too funny but perhaps entertaining with the pink hat ladies.. Women’s rights??? We have the same rights as men. Be responsible ladies for your own actions. Progress is going to take time. Change is not instant Jello and the way to handle life is to focus on the what you are her on earth to achieve. Best wishes

43. Jim Wilke says:

I thought she moved to Spain.

44. Rachael says:

What an idiot, sHe actually believes that propaganda that Russia hack the election. She need to just go away and stop confusing the public with her bullshit rhetoric

45. Mel says:

Has anyone told her what Independents stand for? Lol… face palm. She said she wanted to educate herself. Ms.Handler you should start by Reading what the Independents stand for. Smh!!! From one Independent to one that wants to be one.

46. Kirk says:

While everyone is entitled to their opinions I so don’t care if Ms Handler wants to do whatever. We need to bring in new Demo leaders and move expeditiously to win back Congress in 2018. We need to look for ways to impeach Trump asap based upon various conflicts and Russian collusion.

47. Britlover says:

Awww, poor little Chelsea and her herd of disgruntled sheep. It’s ironic that Hollywood fought fascism and McCarthyism in the ’50s only to have morons like Handler shoving HER prejudices and insults down the throats of those that don’t agree with her.

I would remind Ms. Handler that the Russians didn’t tell the DNC to rig the primaries in favor of a fatally flawed and universally despised candidate like Ms. Clinton. I also doubt Russia felt the need to feed questions to Hillary before the debates or ask the media to proof read news stories before print deadlines. Ms. Handler feels the need to insult Mr. (and Mrs.) Trump, as well as his supporters, so I will just add that her hatred of us is no where near as strong as ours is for her.

48. Jessa says:

Agree with her about the government telling us what to do with our bodies! AND THAT INCLUDES VACCINES CHELSEA.

Know how many times I had to tell needle happy doctors I didn’t want the ridiculous HPV vaccine? (it was fast-tracked, barely tested, and protects against 1 strain…out of hundreds. yeah.)

49. Frankie Lane says:

More of the same from liberals. One point she speaks of such divisiveness in the Democratic Party she had to switch to independent. “It’s not working,” she states. Just like most liberals she couldn’t resist and smoothly went right into, “Trump’s administration is racist.” More insults by saying the First Lady, “barely speaks English.” One name calling after another. Refusal to interview, conversation, have a discussion? Absolutely not. But of course, how else can you keep such divide. And you registered independent, lol you are a comedian.

50. Jus Sayin says: