×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Hollywood Reacts to Video Showing United Airlines Passenger Being Dragged From Flight

UPDATED: United Airlines is making headlines again after drawing ire just two weeks ago.

The airline’s CEO apologized on Monday after a disturbing video surfaced showing a man getting forcibly dragged out of his seat by three security guards. The viral video ignited a social media uproar from Hollywood figures, media personalities, and Twitter users alike.

Passenger Audra D. Bridges posted a video on Facebook in which a man can be heard screaming as guards grab and pull him across the aisle by his arms. A passenger says, “Please, my God. What are you doing? No. This is wrong. Oh my God. Look at what you did to him,” as the United workers carry on.

Another passenger, Jayse D. Anspach, tweeted a video of the incident.

Another horrific video shows the man bleeding and repeating the phrase, “Just kill me.”

United CEO Oscar Munoz released a statement on the airline’s official Twitter account on Monday saying that the incident would be reviewed and the passenger would be contacted to “address and resolve this situation.”

“This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United,” Munoz said in the statement. “I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation.”

Munoz also released a statement on Tuesday apologizing specifically for the passenger’s removal.

“The truly horrific event that occurred on this flight has elicited many responses from all of us: outrage, anger, disappointment. I share all of those sentiments, and one above all: my deepest apologies for what happened. Like you, I continue to be disturbed by what happened on this flight and I deeply apologize to the customer forcibly removed and to all the customers aboard. No one should ever be mistreated this way.

I want you to know that we take full responsibility and we will work to make it right.

It’s never too late to do the right thing. I have committed to our customers and our employees that we are going to fix what’s broken so this never happens again. This will include a thorough review of crew movement, our policies for incentivizing volunteers in these situations, how we handle oversold situations and an examination of how we partner with airport authorities and local law enforcement. We’ll communicate the results of our review by April 30th.

I promise you we will do better.”

The airline said the Sunday evening flight from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. United spokesman Charlie Hobart told the Associated Press that airline workers asked four randomly-selected customers to leave the plane to make room for stand-by United employees. One of the four didn’t comply.

A passenger told the Washington Post that the man informed airline employees that he couldn’t give up his seat because he was a doctor with patients to see in the morning. He allegedly yelled that he was being targeted because he was Chinese.

“We followed the right procedures,” Hobart told AP. “That plane had to depart. We wanted to get our customers to their destinations, and when one gentleman refused to get off the aircraft, we had to call the Chicago Police Department.”

Hollywood responded with both outrage and humor as stars took to social media to voice their feelings. They reacted similarly a few weeks ago when the airline allegedly refused to allow two girls to board their flight because they were wearing leggings.

“Having flown #united last week, I feel very blessed to not be tweeting this message from a hospital bed,” “Frozen” and “Beauty and the Beast” actor Josh Gad wrote.

“Getting on a United flight this morning. Excited to, I don’t know… stay on? … For the comfort and safety of the other passengers, please remember we will be resorting to cannibalism BY GROUP NUMBER” #united,” filmmaker Joss Whedon tweeted.

“So @united sucks. But the Chicago police who dragged the man off the flight are also monsters. Police using unnecessary force, again,” a concerned Kumail Nanjiani, star of “Silicon Valley,” wrote.

“This could be me or you next time. Shame on @United who broke customer trust + instigated this. Shame on the airport cops. Cowardly assault,” director Ava DuVernay tweeted.

“cannot wait to use “i will re-accommodate your ass” in my next fight,” model Chrissy Teigen said, referring to Munoz’s apology.

“I am appalled and absolutely disgusted….this is unacceptable,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming” star Zendaya said.

“Wow @united. New low,” “2 Broke Girls” star Kat Dennings put it simply.

“Am I only one wondering if United thing wouldn’t happen if every airport employee w a badge hadn’t been somehow emboldened since January? … I guess what I’m saying is Bernie would have offered more vouchers,” comedian Andy Richter said.

“Jet Blue’s new slogan – extra leg room and we won’t physically drag you down the aisle screaming in pain,” “Billy on the Street” star Billy Eichner teased.

United Airlines new slogan: ‘Fly the friendly skies once you get off the scary ground,'” Albert Brooks said.

“I bet 90 percent of today’s calls between @United and the FAA are about the costs of enforcing a ban on handheld devices,” “Community” creator Dan Harmon wrote.

“I feel like Pepsi and United are pulling from the same employment agencies,” comedian Whitney Cummings joked.

“Flying United? You have to drag me onto the plane,” media pundit Dan Savage joked.

More Biz

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

  • Members of the public mourn at

    Guy Oseary’s New Zealand Fundraiser Nears $150,000, Continues Raising Money

    In the wake of the horrific shootings at New Zealand mosques last week that killed some 49 people, Maverick chief Guy Oseary launched a GoFundMe campaign to “support those affected by this tragedy at this very difficult time,” and began it with an $18,000 donation. Boosted by donations from many celebrities — including Amy Schumer, [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content