×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Gunman Kills 26 People in Texas Church Shooting

UPDATED: 26 people have been killed by a gunman who walked into a Texas church in a rural town 30 miles outside San Antonio, Tex. Sunday and opened fire.

Governor of Texas Greg Abbott reported the death toll. A pregnant woman and children were among those killed.

A witness said she heard about 20 shots in rapid succession around 11:30 a.m. local time while church service was in session.

According to David Keen, a constable with Wilson County, Tex., the gunman is dead. According to the New York Times, the shooter was 26 years old and has been identified by police as a resident of Comal County, northeast of San Antonio. The town of Sutherland Springs, where the shooting took place, has a small population in the low hundreds — the current death toll represents about 7% of the population.

Local reports indicate that the man entered the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs and began firing. A spokeswoman for the Connally Memorial Medical Center in Floresville, Tex., said that patients had been received there and that the hospital had activated its emergency response team.

At least 20 other people have been injured, with two other hospitals have reported that they’ve received patients from the shooting, including ten at University Hospital in San Antonio including several children. The youngest injured is five years old.

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said on Twitter: “Our prayers are with all who were harmed by this evil act. Our thanks to law enforcement for their response.”

President Donald Trump, who is on a trip to Japan, also responded to the tragedy, writing, “May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas.”

The shooter was killed after a brief chase north into neighboring Guadalupe County, according Guadalupe County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Robert Murphy. It is unclear if the shooter was killed by police or took his own life, Murphy said.

According to the FBI field office in San Antonio, agents are responding to the scene. Personnel from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms are also responding.

 

More Biz

  • Huawei Restricted From Using Google's Android

    Huawei Restricted From Using Google's Android as U.S.-China Tensions Mount

    Google has prevented controversial Chinese tech firm Huawei from accessing the latest versions of the Android mobile phone operating system. The move follows U.S. government attempts to blacklist the Chinese firm. “We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications,” Google sources told news agencies on Sunday. “Huawei will only be able to use [...]

  • ‘Hitsville: The Making of Motown’ Acquired

    ‘Hitsville: The Making of Motown’ Acquired by Showtime for U.S.

    Polygram Entertainment, Universal Music Group’s film and television division, along with Capitol Music Group, Motown Records and Fulwell 73 announced today that “Hitville: The Making of Motown” has been acquired by Showtime for release in North America with plans for a fall premiere, and Altitude for theatrical release in the UK and Ireland. The feature-length [...]

  • Sammy Shore Dead: Comedy Store Co-Founder

    Sammy Shore, Co-Founder of The Comedy Store, Dies at 92

    Sammy Shore, the well-known stand-up comedian who co-founded The Comedy Store in Hollywood, died in Las Vegas, Nev. from natural causes. He was 92. Shore founded The Comedy Store with writing partner Rudy Deluca on April 7, 1972. His ex-wife, Mitzi Shore, took ownership of the club in the divorce settlement, and the venue went [...]

  • Outlander Season 4 Finale

    What CBS' Pursuit of Starz Means for CBS, Lionsgate

    CBS’ effort to buy pay TV service Starz from Lionsgate seems on the surface to be a head scratcher. CBS has told Wall Street for years that it has prospered because it brings only two must-have services to the table in negotiations with MVPDs, allowing the Eye to drive a hard bargain. Why would CBS [...]

  • Dana Brunetti

    Dana Brunetti Sues to Block Season 2 of 'Manhunt'

    Producer Dana Brunetti filed suit on Friday seeking to block the second season of the anthology series “Manhunt,” which is set to dramatize the bombing at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Brunetti sued Lionsgate, the production company, as well as Discovery Communications and Charter Communications. Brunetti, the producer of “Fifty Shades of Grey” and many other [...]

  • PledgeMusic Sends Message to Artists, Offers

    PledgeMusic Sends Message to Artists, Offers Data From Platform

    PledgeMusic, the direct-to-fan marketplace that is headed into administration (the British equivalent of bankruptcy), today posted a note to artists and fans, offering the ability for artists to download their data from the platform. A source tells Variety that more information will be coming once an administrator is named — when that happens, at some [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content