×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Roman Polanski’s Rape Victim Urges Court to Drop 40-Year-Old Case

Samantha Geimer, who was raped at 13 by director Roman Polanski, urged a judge on Friday to resolve the 40-year-old case.

“I would implore you to finally bring this to a close as an act of mercy to myself and my family,” Geimer told L.A. Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon. “We are human beings, not wins and losses.”

Polanski pleaded guilty to raping Geimer in 1979, but fled the country before sentencing. He has lived as a fugitive abroad ever since, and is now seeking to dispose of the case so that he can travel without fear of arrest.

In April, Gordon rejected Polanski’s latest effort to be tried in absentia, ruling that Polanski must first return to the U.S. and submit to the court’s jurisdiction before the case can be resolved. Polanski has made several earlier attempts to get the case dismissed, without success.

Geimer said this was the first time she has been allowed to address the court in the long history of the case. Over the years, she has repeatedly expressed her wish that the case come to an end, and has said that the media circus was worse than the rape.

“He got arrested. I knew he was sorry the next day,” she said after the hearing. “I was sure he instantly regretted what he had done and wished it hadn’t happened. It just wasn’t as traumatic for me as everyone would like to believe it was. I was a young sexually active teenager and it was a scary thing, but it was not an uncommon thing. I understood much worse things happened to people. So, I was just not as traumatized as everybody thinks I should have been.”

Geimer also resisted the idea that Polanski was a pedophile.

“I was almost 14,” she said. “I wasn’t 10.”

Geimer said she felt her own feelings about the case don’t matter to the court.

“Everyone’s entitled to their opinion,” she said. “I was there. I am fine. I don’t think that I should be forced to lay my feelings bare and have a pity party for myself just for people’s entertainment, and I’m not going to do it. I am fine.”

In court, Gordon thanked Geimer for appearing and praised her courage as a survivor of sexual assault.

“Closure is something you deserve,” he said. “There is a person who holds the key to that closure very clearly. Mr. Polanski’s made the decisions he’s made.”

Polanski’s attorney, Harland Braun, is seeking the release of a sealed transcript of testimony from former prosecutor Roger Gunson, which he believes will show that Polanski was mistreated by the court in 1979.

Gordon appeared frustrated with Braun, repeatedly advising him not to relitigate issues that had already been decided. At one point, Braun said he had “done everything I can to resolve this case.”

“Well, with one exception,” Gordon replied, suggesting that Polanski do what young men and women “do every day in this court” and come in for sentencing.

When Braun suggested that L.A. Superior Court judges had engaged in behind-the-scenes misconduct against Polanski, Gordon became visibly irritated.

“He was angry with me,” Braun said outside court. “I think he was about ready to unload on me and thought better of it… Judge Gordon is like every other judge. They’re trying to cover for the other judges.”

Gordon said he would issue a written ruling on the release of the Gunson transcript.

Here is the prepared text of Geimer’s statement to the judge.

Samantha Geimer Statement at Polanski Hearing 06-09-2017 by gmaddaus on Scribd

More Biz

  • Daily Show Viacom

    DirecTV, Viacom Avert Blackout After Marathon Negotiation

    DirecTV and Viacom have agreed on a carriage renewal pact covering a raft of Viacom’s cable channels after a marathon negotiation over the weekend. In a joint statement early Monday, the companies said: “We are pleased to announce a renewed Viacom-AT&T contract that includes continued carriage of Viacom services across multiple AT&T platforms and products. [...]

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content