In a statement, attorney Charles Harder said that the Times’ account “is saturated with false and defamatory statements about Harvey Weinstein.”
“It relies on mostly hearsay accounts and a faulty report, apparently stolen from an employee personnel file, which has been debunked by 9 different eyewitnesses,” Harder said. “We sent the Times the facts and evidence, but they ignored it and rushed to publish. We are preparing the lawsuit now. All proceeds will be donated to women’s organizations.”
A Times spokesperson issued a statement defending the story.
“We are confident in the accuracy of our reporting. Mr. Weinstein was aware and able to respond to specific allegations in our story before publication. In fact, we published his response in full.”
In the statement, Weinstein apologized for causing “pain” in the workplace and vowing to improve. That same statement claimed that he’s been taking advice from high-profile attorney Lisa Bloom.
The Times report claims that he’s reached settlements with at least eight women, including actress Rose McGowan, who tweeted about the report on Thursday. Weinstein lawyered up even before the exposé published earlier this week.
Harder may be best known in his involvement in the lawsuit that led to Gawker’s demise, representing Hulk Hogan. His other previous famous clients include Reese Witherspoon, Melania Trump, and Sandra Bullock.