×

Islamic State Claims London Attacker Was One of Its ‘Soldiers’

UPDATED The so-called Islamic State group has claimed that the attacker who struck in the heart of London was a “soldier of the Islamic State,” according to the extremist organization’s Aaamaq news agency. The British-born assailant, recently identified as Khalid Masood, killed three people close to the British Parliament on Wednesday before being shot dead by police. Forty more were injured.

Police have revealed that 52-year-old Masood had been convicted of a range of crimes, including grievous bodily harm, possession of offensive weapons, and public order offenses. He had not been convicted of any terrorism offenses. Masood was born in Kent, in the South-East of England, and was believed to have been living in the West Midlands, a region in the center of the country, where he rented the car used in the attack.

Prime Minister Theresa May told lawmakers in Parliament on Thursday that Masood — who at that point had not been named — had been investigated by domestic intelligence agency MI5 in relation to concerns about violent extremism.

“He was a peripheral figure,” she said. “The case is historic. He was not part of the current intelligence picture. There was no prior intelligence of his intent or of the plot.”

May said he “acted alone” and that imminent further attacks were not expected.

Police have arrested eight people in connection with the attack, following raids in London and Birmingham.

Mark Rowley, Metropolitan Police’s acting deputy commissioner, said on Thursday: “It is still our belief — which continues to be borne out by our investigation — that [Masood] acted alone and was inspired by international terrorism.

“To be explicit, at this stage we have no specific information about further threats to the public.”

Masood drove a car through crowds on Westminster Bridge, which sits in the shadow of Big Ben, and then knifed a police officer who later died of his wounds.

One of those killed has been identified as Kurt W. Cochran, an American tourist who was in Europe with his wife celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary. His wife, Melissa, suffered serious injuries, a statement from the family said.

More Biz

  • Haim Saban

    Haim Saban Pledges to Invest $500 Million to Launch Music Label

    Businessman, investor and philanthropist Haim Saban, who heads the Saban Capital Group, has pledged to invest $500 million to launch a record label. Saban Music Group (SMG) will be led by music executive Gustavo Lopez and focus on “international A&R, artist development and strategically supporting a 360 model for artists,” reads a release announcing SMG, [...]

  • Street scene Sunset Boulevard at night

    In Los Angeles, Rock and Roll Fights to Save the Sunset Strip

    On a recent Saturday evening on Sunset Boulevard, just beyond the nightly caravan of European sports cars and open-air tour buses that have seen better days, the famous Tower Records building was once again bathed in the familiar red and yellow paint job of the iconic music store that once occupied its stone-brick walls. Though [...]

  • Plume of black smoke rising from

    Universal Music Files Motion to Dismiss Lawsuit From Artists Claiming Fire Damage

    Universal Music Group filed a motion on Wednesday to dismiss a class-action lawsuit from attorneys representing Soundgarden, Hole, Steve Earle and the estates of Tupac and Tom Petty over master recordings reportedly destroyed in a 2008 fire, the extent of which was revealed last month in a New York Times article. UMG argues that the musicians cannot pursue a [...]

  • After Yet Another Rejection, What Could

    After Yet Another Rejection, What Could Be Next for Woodstock 50?

    In the wake of the Town of Vernon’s third rejection of Woodstock 50’s permit application to hold its music festival at a venue in the Upstate New York municipality, one may well wonder what the troubled event’s next move might be. In the hours after the latest rejection was announced, even the optimistic-bordering-on-unrealistic producers sounded [...]

  • US actor Kevin Spacey (C) is

    Kevin Spacey Sexual Assault Case Dropped in Nantucket

    Nantucket prosecutors have dropped a sexual assault case against actor Kevin Spacey, citing the “unavailability” of the complaining witness. Spacey had been accused of groping an 18-year-old busboy at the Club Car restaurant in July 2016. He was charged with indecent sexual assault, and a trial was set to be held in the fall. However, [...]

  • Plume of black smoke rising from

    Universal Music Updates Staff on Fire Damage in Internal Memo (Read)

    Ahead of an expected motion to dismiss the lawsuit filed last month by several artists over damage in the 2008 fire that destroyed hundreds of thousands of master recordings, according to the New York Times, the company’s chief archivist, Pat Kraus, issued a memo to the staff that has been obtained by Variety. While the [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content