The conversation with TV Guide’s Damian Holbrook was a rapid fire session ranging from hilarious quips about the current presidential election to teases regarding upcoming projects. Here’s what we learned:
1. Fey explained that the role she plays in season two of “Kimmy Schmidt” was one that she had planned for herself from the beginning. “This is a role that I had in the back of my mind from the moment that we pitched the pilot,” she said. “And then in season one I was coerced by the writers to play… Marcia… Clark.”
“Thank god I went first on that one. Could you imagine?” she added, as a nod to Sarah Paulson’s acclaimed performance in “American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson.”
2. Fey later revealed that after watching “American Crime Story” she updated her Television Academy membership specifically so she could vote for acting awards. She wants to vote for Sterling K. Brown and Sarah Paulson.
3. The comedian talked about the Kimmy’s loss of innocence. “It’s one of those things where you kind of rip that Band-aid off, you know? I mean, that’s how I like to think of human sexuality. Like this scabbed-over thing.”
Fey admitted she was worried that Ellie Kemper would get pregnant during filming. But the star waited, and is currently expecting in August. “So well played, Ellie,” Fey joked.
4. For fans hoping for a “Kimmy Schmidt”/”30 Rock” crossover, Fey said it’s not out of the question, joking that it would be funny if it turned out that Tituss Burgess’ character Titus Andromedon had dated D’Fwan. “I would not put it past us to eat our own tail.”
5. She explained plans for the next year. “Normally we would start [writing ‘Kimmy Schmidt’] in June. But this year we’ll be starting in August and we’ll start shooting in November. And we’ll be ready to come back with season three by the end of next May.”
6. The comedian reflected on her political satire days at “SNL.” “I mean, I feel like looking back on 2008 now, it looks like an episode of ‘The Andy Griffith Show.’ [This election] it’s like ‘Ryan Murphy brings you Horror Election.'”
7. Explaining why she and Amy Poehler haven’t committed to longer-term projects together, Fey said, “It’s because we’re actually both Alphas. And so it works in short spurts.”
8. Big plans for the “Mean Girls” franchise are in store during her television off-season. “We’re working on the musical adaptation,” Fey said. “Thanks to Ellie Kemper’s pregnancy, we have all summer to work on it.”
Fey said she’s not sure if the 2004 movie’s references will be updated, since tweets and Facebook don’t translate well onscreen. “The thing about social media is it doesn’t dramatize.”
9. She did, though, give a taste of what the show would look like in the style of the Broadway musical “Hamilton.” “I was joking around for my own amusement the other day… How does a mathlete, chess king…” she started rapping to the rhythm of the show’s opening number.
10. Successfully sidestepping any details about her involvement in a possible “Hocus Pocus” project, Fey said, “There’s a script in development, it is not so much a remake.”