×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Roger Ailes Said To Be Out at Fox News Amid Sexual-Harassment Allegations

Roger Ailes, who transformed Fox News Channel from a start-up into one of the nation’s most influential news organizations in under two decades, is said to be in negotiations to leave the 21st Century Fox-owned cable outlet in the wake of a bevy of sexual-harassment allegations leveled at him, according to a person familiar with the situation.

In a statement, 21st Century Fox said Ailes remained an employee. “Roger is at work. The review is ongoing. And the only agreement that is in place is his existing employment agreement,” the company said in a statement released on Twitter.

Susan Estrich, an attorney for Ailes, echoed that statement in an interview. When asked if Ailes was negotiating his departure with 21st Century Fox, she said, “There are a lot of ideas floating around, but no final decision has been made by anybody.” When asked if Ailes wanted to stay at Fox News, she said, “Roger wants Fox News to be successful. The most important thing for Roger is that Fox News continues to be the number-one cable network.”

Ailes and 21st Century Fox may still be hammering out the terms of his departure, said the person familiar with the matter, but Ailes has not had much of a presence in the offices of Fox News and has not been contributing a great deal to meetings about news coverage. “Today is the day they reached the decision to part ways,” this person said. “Everyone there wants clarity, because you have the stars of the network in Cleveland.” Fox News has a strong presence at the Republican National Convention currently underway in Ohio.

Ailes, who built a business that throws off millions of dollars in revenue, could depart under a cloud. Gretchen Carlson, the former “Fox & Friends” anchor who left the network in June, filed a lawsuit in New Jersey earlier this month alleging Ailes had harassed her and derailed her career. Ailes had in a previous statement denied the charges. More women came forward alleging similar treatment by Ailes during his time as a producer in the decades before he set up shop at Fox News.

A final blow seemed to come on Tuesday: a report in New York magazine alleging that Megyn Kelly, one of the network’s primetime stars, had been the victim of unwanted sexual advances in her earlier days at the network. Those claims have not been independently verified, but the report seems to have played a role in determining the viability of Ailes’ tenure.

In a prepared statement, Estrich disputed the New York report. “Roger Ailes has never sexually harassed Megyn Kelly. In fact, he has spent much of the last decade promoting and helping her to achieve the stardom she earned, for which she has repeatedly and publicly thanked him,” said Estrich, a partner at the Quinn Emanuel law firm, in a prepared statement.

Ailes is believed to be working under a contract with a term that expires in 2018.

The parent company faces a risk: Fox News has in its time become an influence on everything from the daily news cycle to the U.S. presidential election. Donald Trump’s willingness to spar verbally with veteran politicians first became evident at a Republican debate broadcast by Fox News last year. Anchor Bill O’Reilly continues to snare some of the biggest audiences in cable, even though he has been on the air in one form or another since 1996.

There are questions as to whether some of the network’s top stars would stay at a Fox News led by someone other than Ailes. Both Megyn Kelly and Bill O’Reilly have contracts that expire in 2017. The Financial Times reported earlier today that Kelly, O’Reilly and Sean Hannity have clauses in their contracts that would allow them to leave the network if Ailes did as well.

More TV

  • Jenna Hager Hoda Kotb

    NBC News Sets Joanne LaMarca as EP, 'Today' Fourth Hour

    Just after NBC News recalibrated the fourth our of its daytime “Today” program, it has named a new executive producer to oversee the show. Joanne LaMarca, a longtime “Today” staffer who left NBC News in 2017 after a long run, will return as the new head of the 10 a.m. hour that is now led by [...]

  • Adam McKay photogrpahed at the PMC

    HBO to Team With Adam McKay on Scripted Showtime Lakers Series

    HBO is bringing the Showtime Lakers to the scripted arena with “Showtime,” Variety has confirmed. The series, which has received a pilot order at the cabler, hails from Adam McKay, who will direct. “Showtime” will be based on Jeff Pearlman’s non-fiction book “Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s.” “Jeff Pearlman’s [...]

  • The 100 -- "Sanctum" -- Image

    'The 100' Boss Breaks Down Season 6's New World and Theme of 'Can We Do Better?'

    When “The 100” returns for its sixth season on April 30, the CW drama will thrust its characters into a brand new world. After escaping a no-longer habitable Earth at the end of the fifth season, the characters went into cryostasis until the planet was ready for life again. One hundred and twenty-five years later, [...]

  • David Milch Deadwood

    'Deadwood' Creator David Milch Diagnosed With Alzheimer's

    David Milch, the creator of “Deadwood,” revealed his Alzheimer’s diagnosis in an interview published Tuesday. “As best I understand it, which is minimally, I have a deterioration in the organization of my brain,” Milch told Vulture. “And it’s progressive. And in some ways discouraging. In more than some ways — in every way I can [...]

  • Jim Lanzone

    CBS Interactive Chief Jim Lanzone: 'We Have a Tiger by the Tail' With Streaming Growth

    MENLO PARK, Calif. — CBS All Access can’t serve up addressable advertising inventory fast enough for marketers hungry to reach consumers watching premium video online. That was the upbeat outlook shared by CBS Interactive CEO Jim Lanzone during his keynote address on Tuesday at Variety’s Silicon Valleywood presented by PwC. “There’s not a form of advertising [...]

  • ÒThe One Where Diane and Liz

    'The Good Fight' Renewed for Season 4 at CBS All Access

    “The Good Fight” has been renewed for a fourth season at CBS All Access, Variety has learned. The legal drama, executive produced and run by Michelle King and Robert King, is currently streaming its third season on the Eye’s digital network. The show “continues to be a flagship original series for the service,” said Julie [...]

  • Netflix Orders Adult Animated Comedy 'Inside

    Netflix Orders Adult Animated Comedy 'Inside Job' from Shion Takeuchi

    Netflix is set to add another adult animated show to its burgeoning slate, Variety as confirmed. The streamer has put out a series order of “Inside Job” from “Gravity Falls” and “Disenchantment” writer Shion Takeuchi. The show will be the first series Takeuchi produces under her recently-signed overall deal with Netflix. The 20-episode adult animated series [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content