Fillion has closed a deal to return to the long-running police procedural for a potential ninth season, Variety has confirmed.
The news comes as “Castle” still sits on the bubble, awaiting a renewal decision. However, sources have said for quite some time that the show has a good shot to return even without Fillion’s co-star Stana Katic.
Over one week ago, Variety was first to report that while ABC was in negotiations with Fillion, the network would make a decision about Season 9 on either May 5 (tonight) or May 6 (tomorrow).
With “Castle’s” fate becoming official tomorrow, the ninth season would see Fillion without Katic for the first time in the drama’s history. In mid-April, news broke that Katic — who plays Kate Beckett — would not be returning to the series, nor would Tamala Jones.
“Kate Beckett has been a beloved character on our hit series ‘Castle’ for the past 8 years. We are grateful for Stana Katic’s talent and dedication to the series and we hope to continue our relationship. Tamala Jones has also been an integral part of the series and we are grateful she was a part of ‘Castle,’” ABC said in a statement at the time both women’s departure was announced.
Last year, ahead of the show being renewed for Season 8, “Castle” was in a similar situation. While the show was on the bubble, Fillion had closed a new deal for the potential season, but Katic had not. Eventually, she closed a one-year contract, which was not renewed for Season 9. This year, Deadline was first to report that Fillion officially closed his deal to return for the 2016-17 season.
Fillion is repped by CAA.