×

Nancy O’Dell Will Host Monday’s ‘Entertainment Tonight’ Following Trump Video (EXCLUSIVE)

UPDATE, 8:05 PM: Entertainment Tonight” has now confirmed this story to Variety.

Entertainment Tonight” host Nancy O’ Dell will be in the host chair on Monday, Variety has learned exclusively.

It is not clear whether O’Dell will address the Donald Trump and Billy Bush video, in which she was identified as the woman being spoken about in the vulgar 2005 conversation that surfaced this past Friday, causing a media firestorm and swift fallout for both the GOP presidential candidate and Bush, who was then O’Dell’s co-host on “Access Hollywood.”

A spokesperson for “Entertainment Tonight” declined to comment on O’Dell’s status for Monday’s show, but a source tells Variety she will “absolutely” be hosting.

On Saturday, O’Dell broke her silence, releasing a statement via “ET Online,” making no mention of Trump nor Bush.

“Politics aside, I’m saddened that these comments still exist in our society at all. When I heard the comments yesterday, it was disappointing to hear such objectification of women,” O’Dell’s statement read.

Meanwhile, Bush has been suspended from the “Today” show, pending review.

Bush being suspended from “Today” comes after much much back-and-forth on NBC’s part to determine what to do with the anchor — Variety first reported NBC was mulling over the decision this morning, and later today, Bush was sidelined from Monday’s show. Then, moments ago, came the decision to suspend him. The suspension comes after overwhelming social media reaction this weekend from commenters saying they will no longer watch the NBC morning show if Bush is not fired.

With Bush banned from “Today” and O’Dell returning to business as usual, following a weekend-long frenzy, news shows are struggling with how to cover a story — when they are the story.

A media expert suggest that O’Dell should address the Trump/Bush tape on Monday night’s show and then move on. Another insider close to the show tells Variety that plans to cover the story going forward are in flux, as “ET” will remain respectful to O’Dell.

For Bush, the issue is deeper. Should “Today” bring him back on, how are viewers expected to watch him discuss the election, without being distracted by his lewd association with Trump?

Aside from talent, the larger news organization is also in a pickle. NBC News was one of the first outlets to cover the video, despite being the employer of Bush, both with “Today” and his near 15 years on “Access Hollywood.”

A spokesperson for NBC News released a statement today, noting that the company’s priority is to cover newsworthy stories. The statement reads: “NBC News did exactly what you would expect from a great news organization. As soon as we saw the tape and made the assessment it was undoubtedly newsworthy, we moved quickly and deliberately to get it published and to do so in the most responsible way.”

“Access Hollywood” will also struggle to cover the story, given their longterm relationship with Bush. On Friday’s broadcast, shortly after the video surfaced, new “Access” host Natalie Morales opened the show with a package about the video, briefly mentioning Bush and identifying O’Dell, who formerly co-hosted the entertainment news show.

More TV

  • Photos of CBS News anchors, correspondents

    Maria Mercader, CBS News Veteran, Dies at 54 Due to Coronavirus

    Maria Mercader, whose work at CBS News helped deliver the division’s breaking news from the U.S. and around the world to viewers, died Sunday due to coronavirus, CBS News said. She was 54 years old and had been on medical leave for an unrelated matter since the last week in February. CBS News said Mercader  [...]

  • Jeanine Pirro

    Fox News Defends Odd 'Judge Jeanine' Broadcast, Citing 'Technical Difficulties'

    Many viewers noticed something was off during Saturday’s episode of “Justice With Judge Jeanine,” particularly host Jeanine Pirro’s disheveled appearance and slurred speech at times. However, a Fox News spokesperson said that “technical difficulties” marred the show’s first at-home broadcast. “Jeanine Pirro was broadcasting from her home for the first time when she encountered several [...]

  • Trisha Yearwood and Garth BrooksMusiCares Person

    Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood Sign On for Impromptu Live CBS Special

    The live-stream home concerts that have become more of a phenomenon during the coronavirus crisis are now crossing over to prime-time TV. In what is being described as an outgrowth of the kind of web shows that Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood have already done, CBS has scheduled an hour-long special, “Garth & Trisha Live!,” [...]

  • Tiger King

    'Tiger King' Ranks as TV's Most Popular Show Right Now, According to Rotten Tomatoes

    Netflix has a tiger tale that has punched into the zeitgeist with “Tiger King,” stocked with a cast of real-life bizarre personalities and sinister plot twists. “Tiger Tale,” a true-crime-style docuseries that debuted March 20 on Netflix, ranks as the most popular current TV show, according to Rotten Tomatoes. It has a 97% critic’s rating [...]

  • La Unidad

    Movistar Plus Pitches ‘La Unidad’ Digitally to International Buyers

    MADRID  —  Telefonica’s Movistar Plus was set to show off a pair of dramas at this year’s MipTV before the market was canceled. Now, Movistar has prepared online presentations on Monday where it will screen episodes of both series as well as conversations with producers and creatives from both series. Each show focus on terrorist [...]

  • La Linea Invisible

    Movistar Presents New Drama ‘La Linea Invisible’ to Virtual Marketplace

    MADRID – Originally planned to premiere alongside fellow Movistar Plus Original “La Unidad” at this year’s MipTV, “La Línea Invisible” will now instead screen for international buyers digitally in an online showcase hosted by the Spanish broadcaster on Monday. From “What the Future Holds” creator Mariano Barroso (“The Wolves of Washington”), the six-part series is [...]

  • John Callahan

    John Callahan, 'All My Children' Soap Opera Star, Dies at 66

    John Callahan, a soap opera star on “All My Children,” died on Saturday morning after suffering a stroke at his Palm Springs, Calif., home on Friday. He was 66. “Your bigger than life, gregarious personality will leave a hole in our hearts forever. We are devastated–my great friend, co-parent partner, and loving father to Kaya,” [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content