×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Heroes Reborn’ Will Not Return After Current Event Series Wraps

Although it was always intended as a one-time event series, “Heroes Reborn” will not be returning for a second installment.

“As far as I know there are no more incarnations of ‘Heroes’ coming,” NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt told reporters, including Variety, Wednesday at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, Calif.

Greenblatt reiterated that it was “always the plan” to just put out just one season. “I think we’re coming to the end of the world though,” Greenblatt added with a smile. “Stay tuned.”

However, the NBC boss did leave a bit of hope for fans, saying that “Heroes” is more-than-likely done, “unless Tim woke up one day and said, ‘Oh, I have another chapter to tell,'” he said of the franchise’s creator Tim Kring.

Before his comments about the show’s future, at the beginning of his executive session at TCA, Greenblatt touted “Heroes Reborn” for performing well on Thursday nights. The follow-up to the fan-favorite 2006 series, “Reborn” generated strong viewer interest at the outset, averaging a 2.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.1 million same-night viewers when it premiered in September, but then it cooled off — and last week’s soft midseason return might have sealed its fate, as it did just a 1.0 in the demo and 3.7 million total viewers.

At the summer TCA press tour last year before “Reborn” debuted, Kring told the press “we’ve only spoken about doing this,” in regards to the initial 13 episodes. “That being said, I’ve always felt that the brand was elastic enough and a broad enough premise. It’s a show about ordinary people with extraordinary powers. It’s an indeterminate [amount of] people around the world and then they have to save the world. I feel confident that we can find more story to tell with some returning characters and new ones.”

If “Reborn” was a huge hit, there’s no doubt NBC may have explored options to produce another installment, but with the declining numbers, its sensible that the network stuck with their original plan of a one-time event series.

Rick Kissell contributed to this report.

More TV

  • A.P. BIO -- "Melvin" Episode 208

    'AP Bio' Canceled After Two Seasons at NBC

    “AP Bio” has been canceled at NBC. Series creator Mike O’Brien shared the news with fans on Twitter, writing that “This has been my favorite project of my life.” In the single-camera comedy, Glenn Howerton portrayed a disgraced Harvard philosophy scholar who lost out on his dream job and was forced to return to Toledo, [...]

  • James Holzhauer $2 million

    'Jeopardy!' Champion James Holzhauer Hits $2 Million Winnings Milestone

    This current “Jeopardy!” player has just won over $2 million on the popular game show. Who is James Holzhauer? The 34 year old professional sports gambler from Las Vegas has hit a “Jeopardy!” milestone by becoming only the second person in the show’s history to win over $2 million in regular season play. Holzhauer won [...]

  • Kanye West Shares a Memory of

    Kanye West Shares a Touching Memory of His Mother in Letterman Interview

    In a preview of David Letterman’s interview with Kanye West, which begins streaming next Friday, May 31, the musician’s wife Kim Kardashian West, tweeted a clip of him sharing a touching memory of his mother, Donda, who died in 2007 after a surgical procedure. While his wife looks on smiling, West answers Letterman’s question about [...]

  • CNN Lays Off Some Health Journalism

    CNN Lays Off Some Health Journalism Staffers

    CNN has laid off a handful of staffers from its health-journalism unit after deciding to place its health, climate and Southeastern newsgathering operations under a single aegis. ” As part of the normal course of business, our newsgathering team made a small restructure earlier this week that ultimately impacts 6-7 employees within CNN’s Health Unit,” [...]

  • Henry Ian Cusick

    'Lost' Star Henry Ian Cusick Signs With Buchwald (EXCLUSIVE)

    Henry Ian Cusick, best known for playing Desmond on the hit ABC series “Lost,” is signing with talent agency Buchwald for representation. Cusick also starred in the CW sci-fi/drama “The 100” and was most recently seen in the Fox series “The Passage.” His other notable television credits include “Scandal,” “24,” “Fringe,” “The Mentalist,” “Body of [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content