×

Fox News: Donald Trump Sought $5 Million For Charity to Appear in Debate

The battle between Fox News and GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump continued even after the start of tonight’s debate, with Fox News disclosing that Trump offered to take part in the broadcast in exchange for a $5 million donation to his charities.

Fox News and Trump have engaged in a war of words during the past few days over Trump’s demand that Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly be removed as a debate moderator. With the Iowa Caucus approaching on Monday, Trump earlier in this week declared that he would not appear in the debate if Kelly was one of the moderators. Trump instead organized a competing rally tonight that was billed as a fundraiser for veterans issues.

“(Fox News chairman) Roger Ailes had three brief conversations with Donald Trump today about possibly appearing at the debate – there were not multiple calls placed by Ailes to Trump,” Fox News said in a statement.

“In the course of those conversations, we acknowledged his concerns about a satirical observation we made in order to quell the attacks on Megyn Kelly, and prevent her from being smeared any further. Furthermore, Trump offered to appear at the debate upon the condition that Fox News contribute $5 million to his charities. We explained that was not possible and we could not engage in a quid pro quo, nor could any money change hands for any reason,” Fox News said. “In the last 48 hours, we’ve kept two issues at the forefront — we would never compromise our journalistic standards and we would always stand by our journalist, Megyn Kelly. We have accomplished those two goals and we are pleased with the outcome. We’re very proud to have her on stage as a debate moderator alongside Bret Baier and Chris Wallace.”

Trump clashed with Kelly last summer in one of the first GOP presidential debates when Trump deemed her questioning of his record on women’s issues to be unfair questioning. He has slammed the anchor repeatedly ever since, even during his appearance Wednesday on Fox News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.” Trump said on Wednesday that it was Fox News’ sarcastic comment about his withdrawal from the debate that sealed his decision to stay away.

“We learned from a secret back channel that the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president — a nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings,” Fox News said in a statement Tuesday that is believed to have been penned by Ailes. Ailes is no stranger to bare-knuckle political brawling, having served as a media advisor to President Ronald Reagan and President George H.W. Bush.

After pulling out of the debate, Trump has asserted that Fox News’ advertising rates would plummet without him on stage in Iowa. Behind the scenes, there was clearly outreach between the Fox News and Trump about his participation in tonight’s broadcast, hence the lengthy Fox News statement.

 

More TV

  • 'The Bachelor Summer Games' Shelved at

    'The Bachelor Summer Games' Shelved at ABC Due to Coronavirus

    ABC has made the decision to shelve its planned “The Bachelor Summer Games” spinoff, Variety has confirmed, as the coronavirus pandemic continues to disrupt the entertainment industry. The prospective series, which had yet to be officially announced, was slated to air during the Olympics this summer, however, news of the show being scrapped for the [...]

  • V Wars Season 1

    'V-Wars,' 'October Faction' Canceled at Netflix After One Season Each

    Both “V-Wars” and “October Faction” have been canceled at Netflix after airing just one season apiece, Variety has confirmed. The two shows are both produced by IDW Entertainment, which is also behind the Netflix series adaptation of “Locke & Key.” News of the twin cancellations comes just after Netflix announced a season 2 pick up for [...]

  • FOX PRESENTS THE IHEART LIVING ROOM

    Fox, iHeart Execs Reveal Secrets Behind 'Living Room Concert' Performances (EXCLUSIVE)

    As recently as last Tuesday, just three artists had signed on to “Fox Presents the iHeart Living Room Concert for America.” But after a week of scrambling and all-night editing sessions, the producers and executives behind the special managed to put together a one-hour event on Sunday night that attracted at least 5.5 million viewers, [...]

  • Steve Carell John Krasinski

    John Krasinski and Steve Carell Hold Mini 'Office' Reunion

    John Krasinski and Steve Carell virtually reunited for an “Office” reunion as part of the first episode of Krasinski’s new YouTube series, “Some Good News.” In an effort to brighten up spirits during the Covid-19 pandemic, Krasinski launched his new YouTube series on Sunday — and there was no better inaugural guest than his former [...]

  • HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER

    'How To Get Away With Murder's' Death Cover-ups, Ranked

    The road to “How to Get Away with Murder” is lined with dead bodies. Twenty-eight to be exact. Over the years, the series showed that there’s no shortage of ways to die. Suicide, poison, overdose, suffocation — you name it. The most shocking deaths, of course, are the “anchors”: In the season’s first half, each [...]

  • 'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' 'A Discovery of

    'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' 'A Discovery of Witches' Writers Set Projects at Quibi (EXCLUSIVE)

    With exactly one week left until its launch, Quibi has put four new shows in development, Variety has learned exclusively. Among the additions to to the platform’s swelling slate are an animated comedy from “Curb Your Enthusiasm” writer Steve Leff, and a thriller from “A Discovery of Witches” showrunner Kate Brooke. The Leff-created comedy is called “God’s [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content