×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Cruel Intentions’ Creator Roger Kumble Says Sony and NBC Are ‘Behind This Show’

Will the “Cruel Intentions” revival ever make it to television?

Though the show, starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, is not yet on the 2016-2017 slate, creator Roger Kumble tells Variety NBC and Sony are still in talks and are discussing the possibility of launching the show next summer.

“The latest I’ve heard is that Sony and NBC are trying to figure this out,” Kumble says. “It feels like a long time, but it hasn’t been that long because they had the upfronts and then it was Memorial Day and everyone in the industry goes on vacation so I think they’re regrouping. What’s been great is that I’m still getting emails of support from NBC and Sony saying, ‘We’re behind this show.'”

Sources say that the network is already toying around with a trailer, targeting a domestic summer launch, in addition to meeting about international marketing plans — a sign that NBC is edging toward a series pickup.

Last week, the pilot was leaked by industry insiders, before quickly becoming password-protected, and the episode has received mostly positive reception among the select few who received it. With early press commentary trickling around Twitter, fans began to take notice, adding to the heavy social media buzz already surrounding the “Cruel Intentions” reboot.

“I was kind of surprised when the other day I got a call like, ‘Your pilot is online,'” says Kumble says. “Maybe there will be a groundswell of people who have seen this in the past 24 hours, and that might just be what we need to push this thing into series.” He admits he plans to forward the tweets on to Sony and NBC.

Social media buzz can play a role in a network’s decision to move ahead. Case in point: “The Mindy Project,” which Hulu picked up after Fox’s cancellation, partly due to the #savethemindyproject Twitter campaign, and more recently, “Nashville,” which has been trending ever since ABC cancelled the show in May, and is now in contention for pickup at four to five different networks.

If NBC does not end up greenlighting the series, Kumble says Sony will likely shop the show elsewhere.

“Because of the IP and because of the love for the pilot, they’re optimistic about their chances,” Kumble says. “Both Sony and NBC have been so amazing. It’s been the best experience of my career…we’re all on the same page and that it really made it a real joy to develop.”

But, the plan is to get “Cruel Intentions” on NBC.

“I’m holding out hope and a lot of us are,” Kumble adds. “I’m very cautiously optimistic — but I’m not buying a new car.”

More TV

  • Friends From College

    'Friends From College' Canceled by Netflix

    Netflix has canceled comedy series “Friends From College” after two seasons. “Friends from College will not return for a third season,” a Netflix spokesperson said in a statement Monday. “We’re grateful to creators Nick Stoller and Francesca Delbanco for creating a wise, funny and supremely relatable show. We also want to thank the hard-working crew, [...]

  • Mandy Moore

    Mandy Moore Opens Up About Her Marriage to Ryan Adams: ‘I Was So Sad’

    Mandy Moore opened up about her marriage to Ryan Adams on Monday’s episode of Marc Maron’s “WTF” podcast. While the interview was taped before the publication of the Feb. 13 New York Times report in which multiple women, including Moore, accuse Adams of sexual misconduct or emotionally abusive behavior, she speaks freely about the “unhealthy dynamic” in [...]

  • Lisa Borders Time's Up

    Time's Up President Lisa Borders Resigns

    Lisa Borders has resigned as president of Time’s Up, she and the organization announced on Monday. Borders is resigning due to family issues, she said in a statement. Time’s Up COO Rebecca Goldman will now serve as interim CEO. “As Time’s Up continues to grow, I am proud of the work I have done to [...]

  • Alfonso Cuaron71st Annual Writers Guild Awards,

    Alfonso Cuarón on Academy's 'Inevitable' Reversal on Televised Oscar Categories

    Alfonso Cuarón isn’t exactly surprised that the Academy reversed its decision and will now air all the Oscar categories during the live show on Sunday. Feb. 24. Calling the decision “inevitable,”Cuarón tells Variety that he thinks the Academy should take things even further. “Let’s stop calling them technical categories!” he told Variety on Sunday night [...]

  • Desus Nice The Kid Mero

    TV Shows to Watch the Week of Feb. 18, 2019: Academy Awards, 'Desus & Mero'

    Welcome back to Tune In: our weekly newsletter offering a guide to the best of the week’s TV. Each week, Variety’s TV team combs through the week’s schedule, selecting our picks of what to watch and when/how to watch them. This week, the Academy Awards air and Desus & Mero make their debut on Showtime. [...]

  • WARNING: Embargoed for publication until 00:00:01

    BBC Takes Stake in New Company Set Up by ‘Luther,’ ‘Bodyguard’ Exec

    BBC Studios has taken a minority stake in Firebird Pictures, the new drama indie being set up by BBC execs Elizabeth Kilgarriff and Craig Holleworth. Kilgarriff’s credits include “Luther,” “Poldark,” “McMafia” and upcoming Richard Gere-starrer “MotherFatherSon.” She commissioned breakout drama hit “Bodyguard.” Holleworth will be the new company’s COO, having run business and operations for [...]

  • Punisher Jessica Jones

    Marvel's 'The Punisher,' 'Jessica Jones' Canceled at Netflix

    The last of Netflix’s Marvel shows are officially ending. “The Punisher” has been canceled after its second season, and the upcoming third season of “Jessica Jones” will be its last, Netflix confirmed on Monday. The announcement comes after Netflix gave the ax to its other Marvel series: “Daredevil,” “Iron First,” and “Luke Cage.” “Marvel’s ‘The Punisher’ will [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content