×

‘Cruel Intentions’ Series Still Alive at NBC

NBC cleaned house and re-stocked their slate this week, but one hot pilot that was missing from the list of greenlights was “Cruel Intentions.”

The series revival of the ’90s flick may still happen, Variety has learned, and “Cruel Intentions” could end up on NBC’s 2016-2017 schedule.

NBC and Sony Television have been in long negotiations over the project, which remains a favorite of both the network and the studio. Sources close to the project say that all execs involved want to see “Cruel” go all the way, but NBC and Sony haven’t yet come to an agreement over stacking rights or ownership.

On a conference call on Sunday with reporters, NBC entertainment chair Bob Greenblatt acknowledged that talks were still ongoing. “We’re still discussing it,” he said. “It falls under the heading of embarrassment of riches. It’s a bit of an outlier for us. There’s no other show like it (on our schedule). We like it, we’re still discussing it and we’re trying to figure it out.”

As of now, NBC has an even split of shows from its in-house arm, Universal Television, vs. outside studios. This week, NBC greenlit four shows from Universal — “Great News,” “Marlon,” “Chicago Justice” and “Midnight, Texas,” which came as a surprise. Earlier this year, the network also gave a straight-to-series order to Universal’s “The Good Place” and “Emerald City.” Six shows are also coming from outside studios with Warner Bros. TV’s “Powerless” and “Trial & Error,” 20th Century Fox TV’s “This Is Us,” Sony TV’s “Timeless,” which has been a shoo-in for quite some time, and EuropaCorp’s “Taken,” which nabbed a straight-to-series order long ago. And then there’s “The Blacklist” spinoff, also from Sony, which just became official this morning.

NBC had been in separate negotiations with Sony over “Cruel Intentions” and “The Blacklist,” though a source says “Blacklist’s” pickup had no impact on “Cruel’s” ultimate fate. The Famke Janssen spinoff was always eyeing a series order, but the process was stalled until today (many of NBC’s pilots were picked up yesterday) because the network was pushing for large ownership over the project.

Late on Friday, insiders close to “Cruel” told Variety that the two parties decided not to make a decision before Upfronts, but plan to re-visit discussions after the week-long NYC presentations and are hopeful to settle on a summer 2017 debut — a time of year that could be perfect for a young, social-savvy show like “Cruel Intentions.”

The “Cruel” pilot tested well with a cliffhanger-heavy script and tremendous buzz for its new star Taylor John Smith, who’s playing the son of Ryan Phillippe’s late character, along with its headliner, Sarah Michelle Gellar.

If NBC ultimately passes on “Cruel Intentions,” it will surely be shopped around in search of a new home.

Popular on Variety

More TV

  • Ballers HBO

    'Ballers' to End After Season 5 on HBO

    “Ballers” is coming to an end after five seasons on HBO. Star and executive producer Dwayne Johnson confirmed the news via an emotional Instagram video. “My heart is full of gratitude to all of you for rocking with us every season. You made us HBO’s highest rated comedy for years and most importantly, you helped [...]

  • Sublime Primetime

    How Emmy-Nominated Writers’ Rooms Keep Politics in Mind

    In a world filled with elections, social movements and national tragedies, how open should the doors of a writers’ room actually be? For some of this year’s Emmy-nominated shows, those doors are wide open. Before the 71st annual Primetime Emmy Awards air on Sept. 22, the Writers Guild of America West and Writers Guild Foundation, [...]

  • Disney Villains Series 'Book of Enchantment'

    'Book of Enchantment' Series Based on Iconic Disney Villains Shelved at Disney Plus

    Disney Plus has decided to not move forward with “Book of Enchantment,” a series based on some of Disney’s most iconic villains, Variety has learned from sources. The news comes the day before Disney is set to unveil its streaming service at the biannual D23 convention in Anaheim. The prospective project was based on the [...]

  • ITV STUDIOS PRESENTS VERAFILM 2Pictured: BRENDA

    Brenda Blethyn to Star in New ITV Sitcom 'Kate and Kolo'

    Oscar-nominated Brenda Blethyn is set to star in the new sitcom “Kate and Kolo” for ITV, the U.K. broadcaster announced at the Edinburgh TV Festival. Blethyn takes on the title role of Kate in the comedy alongside theater and film actor Jimmy Akingbola as Kolo. Blethyn is a popular star with ITV audiences after having [...]

  • Sean Spicer Emmys

    Sean Spicer's Casting Explained? Red States Love 'Dancing With the Stars'

    ABC faced backlash this week after casting former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on “Dancing with the Stars.” But that outrage might actually spice up the dancing competition’s dwindling ratings — particularly in Trump Country. “Dancing with the Stars” has faced a relatively alarming decline in ratings over the past two cycles, falling 32% [...]

  • Peppa Pig

    Hasbro Acquires Entertainment One in $4 Billion All-Cash Deal

    Toymaker Hasbro is acquiring studio Entertainment One in an all-cash transaction valued at $4 billion, bringing My Little Pony and Nerf under the same umbrella as “Peppa Pig” and “PJ Masks” and furthering Hasbro’s growth goals in the infant and preschool categories. Hasbro aims to expand its operations in film and TV. Entertainment One’s production [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content