×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Cruel Intentions’ TV Show Update: Pilot Options Extended for Entire Cast

The “Cruel Intentions” TV show is still in the works.

As of today, the pilot options on the entire cast have been extended, Variety has learned.

The television remake of the ’90s teen drama was picked up to pilot at NBC earlier this year, though was not ordered to series. The network still has not made a decision on whether to order the series, but remains interested, therefore asking for cast option extensions for everyone, including lead Sarah Michelle Gellar, who is reprising her role in the potential TV series.

With NBC stalling to make a decision, sources say that Sony Television (the studio behind “Cruel Intentions”), has garnered interest from cable and streaming outlets, including Hulu, Freeform and more.

Insiders maintain that NBC is still looking at “Cruel Intentions,” perhaps for a summer 2017 debut, but the network has not settled on a sensible spot for the younger-skewing, sexy show, since it’s unlike anything else on The Peacock’s slate.

Back in May during the week of Upfronts, NBC boss Bob Greenblatt told reporters: “We’re still discussing it…It falls under the heading of embarrassment of riches. It’s a bit of an outlier for us. There’s no other show like it [on our schedule]. We like it, we’re still discussing it and we’re trying to figure it out.”

“Cruel Intentions” creator Roger Kumble, who is on board to write and exec produce the television reboot, recently told Variety that both Sony and NBC remain committed to the show.

“The latest I’ve heard is that Sony and NBC are trying to figure this out,” Kumble said in an interview earlier this month. “It feels like a long time, but it hasn’t been that long because they had the upfronts and then it was Memorial Day and everyone in the industry goes on vacation so I think they’re regrouping. What’s been great is that I’m still getting emails of support from NBC and Sony saying, ‘We’re behind this show.’”

Kumble’s co-writers on “Cruel Intentions” are scribes Lindsey Rosin and Jordan Ross. Aside from Gellar, the cast includes Peter Gallagher, Kate Levering in the role originally played by Reese Witherspoon, plus newcomer Taylor John Smith who stars as the son of Ryan Phillippe’s late character.

The pilot briefly leaked about one month ago to industry insiders, creating social buzz for the show, which already has an avid Twitter fanbase. As recently seen with “Nashville,” which landed at CMT after being cancelled by ABC, social noise can make an impact.

More TV

  • Walt Disney Archives Founder Dave Smith

    Walt Disney Archives Founder Dave Smith Dies at 78

    Walt Disney Archives founder Dave Smith, the historian who spent 40 years cataloging and preserving the company’s legacy of entertainment and innovation, died Friday in Burbank, Calif. He was 78. Smith served as Disney’s chief archivist from 1970 to 2010. He was named a Disney Legend in 2007 and served as a consultant to the [...]

  • TV Writer Christopher Knopf, Former WGA

    TV Writer Christopher Knopf, Former WGA West President, Dies at 91

    Prolific Emmy-nominated television writer Christopher Edwin Knopf, former president of the Writers Guild of America West, died in his sleep of congestive heart failure on Feb. 13. He was 91. Knopf was born in New York and attended UCLA, leaving during his senior year to join the Air Force during World War II. He finished [...]

  • Jussie Smollett The Black AIDS Insitute

    Jussie Smollett Case: Two Suspects Released Without Charges as New Evidence Emerges

    After two days of questioning, the Chicago Police Department announced Friday evening that it has released two suspects in the Jussie Smollett case without filing charges. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said that detectives had developed new information in the case. Police no longer consider the men to be suspects. “Due to new evidence as a [...]

  • GOTHAM: L-R: Guest star Cameron Monaghan

    TV News Roundup: Fox Drops 'Gotham' Final Season Trailer (Watch)

    In today’s TV news roundup, Fox released a new trailer for an upcoming episode of “Gotham” and Disney has announced the cast for its upcoming “High School Musical” series.  FIRST LOOKS Showtime released a new trailer and the official poster for the upcoming fourth season of “Billions,” premiering March 17 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. In [...]

  • Chris Rock

    Chris Rock to Direct Kenan Thompson Comedy Pilot at NBC

    Chris Rock has come onboard to direct the NBC single-cam comedy pilot “Saving Kenan,” Variety has learned. Rock will also executive produce the pilot, which stars “SNL” mainstay Kenan Thompson. Thompson will play a newly widowed dad determined to be everything for his kids while begrudgingly letting his persistent father-in-law become more involved in their lives [...]

  • Peak TV Saturation TV Placeholder

    Apollo Global Management Buys Majority Stake in Cox TV Stations

    Private equity giant Apollo Global Management has cut a deal with Atlanta-based Cox Enterprises to buy a majority stake in Cox’s 13 TV stations as well as three newspapers and a handful of radio stations in Ohio. Apollo has been in the hunt for broadcast TV stations for some time. Cox’s station group, which includes [...]

  • Ken Jeong TV Take Podcast

    Listen: Ken Jeong on His Return to Stand-Up and New Netflix Special

    Welcome to “TV Take,” Variety’s television podcast. In this week’s episode, Variety’s executive editor of TV, Daniel Holloway, talks with Ken Jeong about his Netflix comedy special, “Ken Jeong: You Complete Me, Ho,” and being a judge on Fox’s “The Masked Singer.“ Jeong started working on his new standup act after ABC canceled his show “Dr. [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content