Following Noah Galvin’s apology for his candid comments, “Arrow” star Colton Haynes responded to his assertion that Haynes’ method of coming out was “f—ing p—y bulls—,” slamming “The Real O’Neals” actor.
“It’s extremely ironic that only a month ago I was tweeting this kid & saying that he should win an Emmy for his work,” Haynes wrote on his Instagram on Thursday evening. “Then today he returns the favor by calling me a p—y & the worst to the entire world. Let me just clarify, I’ve never met this kid, so for him to judge me without even meeting & having no idea the struggles I’ve been through or where I come from is absolutely uncalled for and quite frankly embarrassing on his part. Since when is a three pg article in Entertainment Weekly not an appropriate way to come out? And since when did he become the judge of what’s appropriate. Shouldn’t we all be supporting each other?”
“Enjoy all of your success,” he went on. “You’re young kid… hopefully you’ll eventually learn a thing or two. Good luck. I’m sure I’ll seeya around.”
Taking the diss in stride, Haynes signed the post “Colton P—y Haynes.”
Eric Stonestreet, who was also a target in Galvin’s rant, seemed to respond on Twitter on Thursday, tweeting simply the Twitter handle of the Trevor Project, an organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth.
— Eric Stonestreet (@ericstonestreet) June 10, 2016
In a controversial interview with Vulture, Galvin slammed Haynes’ method of coming out, which he did in an Entertainment Weekly feature earlier this year. Galvin called Haynes’ coming out “f—ing p—- bulls—,” and claimed that it didn’t do much for the LGBT community.
“That’s not coming out,” Galvin said after Vulture noted that “he didn’t actually say he was gay.”That’s f—ing p—- bulls—. That’s like, ‘Enough people assume that I sleep with men, so I’m just going to slightly confirm the fact that I’ve sucked a dick or two.’ That’s not doing anything for the little gays, but giving them more masturbation material.”
Taking aim at “Modern Family” actor Stonestreet, Galvin said, “I think as wonderful of an actor as Eric Stonestreet is — I’ve never met him, I assume he’s a wonderful guy — he’s playing a caricature of a caricature of a stereotype of stereotype on ‘Modern Family.’ And he’s a straight man in real life. And as hilarious as that character is, there’s a lack of authenticity. I think people — especially young gay kids — they can laugh at it, and they can see it as a source of comedy, but like, nothing more than that. And I want Kenny to be more than the funny gay kid.”
Galvin, however, apologized later on Thursday, shortly before Haynes responded, issuing a lengthy statement apologizing to Haynes, Stonestreet and Bryan Singer.
“The entire interview I gave to Vulture has hurt the LGBTQ community and the industry I feel truly fortunate to be a part of,” read the statement. “My only intention was to try and empower and promote honesty, but I fully understand that comments I made were brazen and hurtful. To Colton Haynes and to the LGBTQ youth, especially those who have embraced our show, I have no right to dictate how or when anybody comes out of the closet; I know how difficult and scary the process of coming out can be, and the last thing I would ever want to do is make it scarier. For anyone. Lastly, as I said in the interview, I think Eric Stonestreet is a wonderful actor. I apologize to everyone that I’ve hurt with my comments and understand the damage that has been done. I am new to this and will certainly commit to being more thoughtful and wiser as I navigate all of this moving forward.”
Galvin had also slammed “X-Men” director Singer in the Vulture interview, claiming that Singer “likes to invite little boys over to his pool and diddle them in the f—ing dark of night.” In 2014, Singer was sued by Michael Egan, who claimed that the director had raped him as a teenager. Egan later dropped the lawsuit.
“I sincerely apologize to Bryan Singer for the horrible statement I made about him in the interview I gave to New York Magazine,” Galvin also said in his apology. “My comments were false and unwarranted. It was irresponsible and stupid of me to make those allegations against Bryan, and I deeply regret doing so. I have never been to Bryan’s house, and I admit there is no basis for any of the things I said or implied about Bryan in that interview. I understand now that my statements were not at all funny and have serious implications. I am very sorry and I hope that Bryan and everyone else who read that interview can forgive me for my serious lapse in judgment. I have contacted New York Magazine and the other publications that republished my statements and asked them all to print this retraction and apology.”
Variety reached out to ABC, which airs “The Real O’Neals,” for comment earlier on Thursday. The network has not yet responded.