×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Biggest Loser’ Under Inquiry By Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department for Drug Allegations

UPDATED: The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department is looking into NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” after former contestants of the show claimed that they were forced to use drugs to lose weight.

A Sheriff’s Department spokesperson confirmed that, while not currently undergoing an official investigation, it was conducting a inquiry into “The Biggest Loser” following the surfacing of allegations. Both the producers and show trainer Bob Harper denied the claims last week, when the report first surfaced.

The producers of “The Biggest Loser” issued the following statement to Variety in light of the inquiry: “According to the Sheriff’s Department, they are ‘conducting an inquiry regarding unsubstantiated allegations.’ We believe these allegations are without merit and false. The safety and well-being of our contestants is, and has always been, paramount. Contestants are told at the start of the show that there is zero tolerance for any weight loss drugs. We prohibit the use of any illegal substances, in addition to the many other rules and procedures of the show that are designed to ensure safety.”

In a report published by the New York Post, former contestant Joelle Gwynn made some explosive allegations, claiming that Harper gave her weight-loss drugs and that she witnessed contestants being coerced into other extremes to shed pounds.

“Bob Harper was my trainer,” she said in the report. “He goes away and his assistant comes in. He’s got this brown paper bag that’s bundled up. He says, ‘Take this drug, it’ll really help you.’ It was yellow and black. I was like, ‘What the f— is this?'”

Season two contestant Suzanne Mendonca was quoted reporting similar occurrences when she was on the show, saying that she “vomited every single day” to lose weight.

The producers and Harper both issued statements of denial at the time. The show’s resident doctor, Rob Huizenga, also denied the report.

“The safety and well-being of our contestants is, and has always been, paramount,” said the statement from “The Biggest Loser” producers. “Contestants are told at the start of the show that there is zero tolerance for any weight loss drugs. We prohibit the use of any illegal substances, in addition to the many other rules and procedures of the show that are designed to ensure safety.”

Several former contestants also spoke publicly on social media to say that they were never asked to use drugs on “The Biggest Loser.”

More TV

  • Dutch FilmWorks Moves into International Sales

    Dutch Film Works Moves into International Sales (EXCLUSIVE)

    A major new international sales outfit is coming to market. Dutch Film Works (DFW), one of the largest movie distributors in the Benelux region, is moving into film and TV sales. DFW general manager Angela Pruijssers will spearhead the sales effort alongside Charlotte Henskens, who will join from Amsterdam-based Fortissimo Films, where she is director [...]

  • 'Game of Thrones' Series Finale Details

    'Game of Thrones' Series Finale Details Reportedly Leak Online

    Who will survive the finale of “Game of Thrones”? Some savvy watchers of the HBO series might have a clue heading into Sunday night’s episode after a detailed description of the final installment reportedly leaked online. [Note: This post does not contain any “Game of Thrones” spoilers.] A spokesperson said HBO had no comment. While [...]

  • ‘Hitsville: The Making of Motown’ Acquired

    ‘Hitsville: The Making of Motown’ Acquired by Showtime for U.S.

    Polygram Entertainment, Universal Music Group’s film and television division, along with Capitol Music Group, Motown Records and Fulwell 73 announced today that “Hitville: The Making of Motown” has been acquired by Showtime for release in North America with plans for a fall premiere, and Altitude for theatrical release in the UK and Ireland. The feature-length [...]

  • Game of Thrones Cast

    What's Next for 'Game of Thrones'' Cast Members

    Eight years and eight seasons later, the “Game of Thrones” cast finally has some downtime to relax or move onto other projects. Some stars, like Kit Harington, who told Variety that he doesn’t plan on taking another role as physically demanding as Jon Snow, certainly deserve a break, but others have wasted no time getting back on [...]

  • 'Fleabag' Season 2 Review: How Its

    'Fleabag': Season 2’s Top 10 Breaks From Reality, Ranked (Column)

    The searing first season of “Fleabag” felt like a complete story in and of itself. As adapted from Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s one-woman show, the series expanded on the world of a woman wild with lust and grief with such expert ease that by the time it ended, even Waller-Bridge herself was sure that it was the [...]

  • Richard Madden Says 'Game of Thrones'

    Richard Madden Says the 'Game of Thrones' Cast Deserves a Medal

    Richard Madden is thankful for his time on “Game of Thrones,” but is also happy to have been able to move on when he did. The “Bodyguard” star sat down with “Sharper Objects'” Amy Adams for Variety’s Actors on Actors, where he expressed some incredulity at the idea of spending so long with just one [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content