×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

South African Pubcaster Plans to Up Its Local Content Quota to 90%

South African pubcaster SABC is moving forward with plans to implement a local content quota of 90%, according to COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.

Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Motsoeneng announced a host of measures meant to shore up the floundering pubcaster, including a new programming schedule and a logo redesign for its struggling SABC3 web.

Most controversial was the decision to drop a number of foreign hits, including “Days of Our Lives,” “Survivor,” and “The Office,” which prompted a social-media backlash.

Motsoeneng, who’s been a polarizing figure during his tenure at the SABC, defended the decision to axe most of the pubcaster’s foreign slate.

“The reality is international content isn’t doing well for the SABC,” he said.

Speaking alongside SABC execs, Motsoeneng reiterated his commitment to drive growth in South Africa’s TV sector, noting that the pubcaster had already set aside a budget of R600 million (around $40 million) to fund local content.

Earlier this year, the SABC introduced a similar 90% quota for local content across its 18 radio stations.

While that decision was widely praised by South African musicians, TV industry insiders say it’s unlikely that the country has the capacity to create enough high-quality content to meet the quota’s target, especially given the cheaper cost of licensing foreign programs.

The SABC’s ramped-up budget, writes TV critic Thinus Ferreira, “will not be enough to fill and sustain a 90% local content programming strategy for the three channels without compromising quality and a much higher that usual repeat and rebroadcast frequency.”

 

More TV

  • Bill Hader Barry

    WGA Awards 2019: Announcing Winners Live

    The 71st annual Writers Guild Awards are underway at dual ceremonies at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. and at the Edison Ballroom in New York City. Chelsea Peretti hosted the West Coast ceremonies while Roy Wood Jr. was the emcee in New York Original screenplay nominees are Alfonso Cuaron’s “Roma”; Adam McKay’s [...]

  • 50 Cent Power

    NYPD Officer Under Investigation for Allegedly Telling Police to Shoot 50 Cent 'on Sight'

    A New York City precinct commander is under investigation for allegedly telling officers to shoot rapper 50 Cent on sight, a police rep confirmed to Variety on Sunday. “The matter is under internal review,” an NYPD rep said, declining to answer further questions. Deputy Inspector Emanuel Gonzalez is accused of telling officers during a June 7 roll [...]

  • Bohemian Rhapsody

    'Bohemian Rhapsody,' 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Among Cinema Audio Society Winners

    Queen biopic “Bohemian Rhapsody” won the Cinema Audio Society’s top prize for sound mixing at Saturday night’s 55th annual CAS Awards. The film is Oscar-nominated for sound mixing this year along with “Black Panther,” “First Man,” “Roma” and “A Star Is Born.” In a surprise over heavy-hitters “Incredibles 2” and “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Wes [...]

  • Marvelous Mrs Maisel Vice

    'Vice,' 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Lead Make-Up and Hair Stylists Guild Awards Winners

    Adam McKay’s Dick Cheney biopic “Vice,” starring Oscar nominees Christian Bale, Amy Adams and Sam Rockwell, won two awards at the sixth annual Make-Up and Hair Stylists Guild Awards Saturday night. The film won for best period and/or character makeup as well as special makeup effects. “Mary Queen of Scots” received the prize for period [...]

  • Jussie Smollett Good Morning America

    Jussie Smollett Angrily Denies Complicity in Attack

    Attorneys for “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett issued a statement Saturday denying that he orchestrated his Jan. 29 assault, and saying he is “angered” and “devastated” by recent developments in the case. Chicago police want to interview Smollett, after learning new evidence from two Nigerian brothers who were released on Friday night. Local media outlets have [...]

  • Jussie Smollett Empire

    Chicago Police Want to Talk to Jussie Smollett as New Evidence Emerges

    Chicago police are seeking to re-interview “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett, after new evidence emerged in his alleged assault. Smollett has claimed that two men attacked him at 2 a.m. on Jan. 29, yelled racial and homophobic slurs, poured bleach on him, and put a noose around his neck. The Chicago Police Department has consistently said [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content