×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Prince Died of Fentanyl Overdose, Autopsy Reveals

Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal.

Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine.

The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in Minneapolis on April 21. He was 57.

The startling autopsy results also show that the music icon — who was 5′ 2” — was 112 pounds at the time of his death.

The Associated Press had reported this morning that Prince died of an opioid overdose. A law-enforcement official, who was not authorized to speak to the media, spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

An initial autopsy was inconclusive, but investigators found that the “Purple Rain” singer was in possession of prescription painkillers at the time of his death. Drug Enforcement Administration officials are investigating where the drugs came from, and what prescriptions Prince had obtained.

Prince was treated for a drug overdose six days before his death, according to TMZ. His plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Ill., in April due to a medical emergency. His rep told Variety at the time that the singer was struggling with the flu. According to TMZ, he had instead overdosed on the opioid painkiller Percocet.

He was reportedly scheduled to meet with an addiction specialist one day after he was found dead.

The singer was cremated and allegedly left no will. Prince’s death has sparked a legal battle between family members over who inherits the bulk of his estate.

The pop singer and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member’s hits include “When Doves Cry,” “Little Red Corvette,” and “Let’s Go Crazy.”

More Music

  • U2

    U2 on Track for One of the Highest-Grossing Tours of 2018

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

  • Three Great New Narrative AR and

    New AR/VR Worth Watching This Week: 'Crow,' 'Wonderscope,' 'Age of Sail'

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

  • Daniel GlassUJA-Federation of New York's Music

    Glassnote Music Strikes Strategic Partnership With Kobalt’s AWAL

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

  • The Chainsmokers Production Company

    Chainsmokers Drop New Song Called ‘Beach House’; Beach House Has No Comment

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

  • David Foster Gets Back Into Production

    Fostering Michael Bublé’s Star Power: A Retired Super-Producer Steps Back In

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

  • Crazy Love Michael Buble

    Michael Bublé Reevaluates His Album Catalog... and the Mood Behind Each One

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

  • Michael Buble Walk of Fame Honor

    Michael Bublé Talks Albums and Amour Ahead of Getting Hollywood Star Treatment

    Prince died from an accidental Fentanyl overdose, his official autopsy results reveal. Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat severe pain, especially after surgery or a medical procedure. It’s said to be more potent than morphine. The legendary singer was found dead in an elevator at his Paisley Park home and recording studio in […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content