Peter Doherty will headline the first show at the Bataclan, the Paris concert venue hit by a terror attack on Nov. 13, when it reopens next fall.
Although the Bataclan has not yet announced the day of its official reopening, Peter Doherty’s concert has been scheduled for Nov. 16, three days after the anniversary of last year’s tragedy. Doherty, the Libertines co-frontman, is expected to release his second solo album this year and will kick off his solo tour on May 11. The rebellious British musician previously performed at the Bataclan in 2009 to rave reviews.
The Bataclan’s first slate of concerts also include Youssou N’Dour and the Super Etoile de Dakar on Nov. 18, Nada Surf on Dec. 2 and MZ on Dec. 3.
The Bataclan said the renovations will not change the set-up of the famed concert hall. “We wish to preserve the warmth and conviviality, maintain the popular and festive spirit that has always defined (The Bataclan),” said the venue’s management.
Further concerts and shows will be unveiled in the coming days. Tickets can be purchased on http://www.bataclan.fr.
While announcing their first roster of concerts, Bataclan’s management also paid homage to 89 victims who were killed on Nov. 13 during a concert by the Eagles of Death Metal.
Eagles of Death Metal’s Jesse Hughes had said EODM would be the first band to perform at the Bataclan upon its reopening, but that plan seemed compromised after Hughes’ recent claims that Bataclan security had a reason for not showing up the night of the attacks. In an interview with Fox Business Network, Hughes said that he “found out that six or so (security agents) wouldn’t show up at all (on Nov.13 at the Bataclan). It seems rather obvious that they had a reason not to show up.” Bataclan reacted immediately to these claims and called Hughes’ accusations “very grave and defamatory.”